New Guzzi V85 looks good.

:cool:

:thumb

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1587779574510.jpg
    FB_IMG_1587779574510.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 774
Moto Guzzi V85TT Seat Height Fix For Shorter Riders...

<iframe width="490" height="370" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/926M2e0r4sg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="allowfullscreen" data-link="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=926M2e0r4sg"></iframe>

Be safe out there... :thumb

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1588125722183.jpg
    FB_IMG_1588125722183.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 691
:kissy2

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1589244378282.jpg
    FB_IMG_1589244378282.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 586
After several month's and several thousand miles, my conversion from tubed to tubeless tyres on the V85TT has failed. I went to move it from the workshop into the garage, to give me more space to do a job on the California and noticed the front tyre was flat. Inflated the tyre and moved the bike, next morning it was flat. Whipped the wheel out inflated again, sprayed some soapy water on it, low and behold it had a fair old leak at one of the spokes.
The system I used, and I was very careful thorough when carrying out the procedure( clearly not thorough enough), was to apply a dab of 3M 5200 marine sealant and adhesive on the spoke heads, then run a strip of 3M 4411 sealing tape around the rim. As said, I was very methodical in the procedure but it still failed, although it was about 7 month's.
After removing the wheel it was evident that air had got under the tape, how this happened I have no idea. In my mind I had three choices. I could try again using the same method, try again using a slightly different method, send the wheels to Bartubeless and have them do the conversion with a 4 year guarantee. As with many of us I've some spare time at the moment, plus I don't like to be beat. So, try again using a different method.
It took me about 2 hrs to totally clean everything off the wheel before I could have another go. This time I put a dab of sealant (3M 5200) on each spoke nipple and using some greaseproof paper really pressed it into the recess. I then ran a bead of sealant all the way around the rim roughly spreading it with my finger. I them took a 1" paintbrush dipped in petrol ( Acetone may have been better) and smoothed out the layer of sealant, then used my finger dipped in petrol to smooth out the edges. I then left it about 14 hrs and applied another layer of sealant in exactly the same way as the first. All the spokes were now completely covered and the final finish looks much better and neater that the dab and tape version. It's early days but 72 hrs later the tyre has no lost a drop of air. Not been out yet but I'm hoping the sealant hasn't upset the balance of the wheel, I've rebalanced after putting the tyre back on.
You can tell I've not got much on can't you. Who knows it may be of interest to someone.

After several month's and several thousand miles, my conversion from tubed to tubeless tyres on the V85TT has failed. I went to move it from the workshop into the garage, to give me more space to do a job on the California and noticed the front tyre was flat. Inflated the tyre and moved the bike, next morning it was flat. Whipped the wheel out inflated again, sprayed some soapy water on it, low and behold it had a fair old leak at one of the spokes.
The system I used, and I was very careful thorough when carrying out the procedure( clearly not thorough enough), was to apply a dab of 3M 5200 marine sealant and adhesive on the spoke heads, then run a strip of 3M 4411 sealing tape around the rim. As said, I was very methodical in the procedure but it still failed, although it was about 7 month's.
After removing the wheel it was evident that air had got under the tape, how this happened I have no idea. In my mind I had three choices. I could try again using the same method, try again using a slightly different method, send the wheels to Bartubeless and have them do the conversion with a 4 year guarantee. As with many of us I've some spare time at the moment, plus I don't like to be beat. So, try again using a different method.
It took me about 2 hrs to totally clean everything off the wheel before I could have another go. This time I put a dab of sealant (3M 5200) on each spoke nipple and using some greaseproof paper really pressed it into the recess. I then ran a bead of sealant all the way around the rim roughly spreading it with my finger. I them took a 1" paintbrush dipped in petrol ( Acetone may have been better) and smoothed out the layer of sealant, then used my finger dipped in petrol to smooth out the edges. I then left it about 14 hrs and applied another layer of sealant in exactly the same way as the first. All the spokes were now completely covered and the final finish looks much better and neater that the dab and tape version. It's early days but 72 hrs later the tyre has no lost a drop of air. Not been out yet but I'm hoping the sealant hasn't upset the balance of the wheel, I've rebalanced after putting the tyre back on.
You can tell I've not got much on can't you. Who knows it may be of interest to someone.

So as I understand it, you haven’t used the sealing tape this time. Does the sealant itself set off fairly solid - I thinking about the damage that may occur fitting or removing the tyre.

Hi Chas, Although I had sent for some more tape I didn't use it. The sealant when dry is very flexible, but it's also very robust. I did consider putting the rim tape back in, but for no real reason decided not to. My reason for using a second coat of sealant rather than tape was, on removing the tyre the tape had air under it. How this had happened I have no idea. I can only assume that it had lost some adhesion and the air under pressure had gotten under it. The finish with two coat's of sealant, rather that a blob on each nipple and a strip of tape, looks like a better job also looks much more robust. Time will tell. I change my own tyres, so I'll be aware what's under there.

Can you clarify something for me please?
I see that you've created a tubeless situation by sealing the spokes, but are you using the presumably original tubed tyres on those rims?
I ask because of a bit of confusion....tubeless rims and tyres have a different bead profile than tubed rims, in order to grip better and create the bead seal, but I think a tubed spec tyre can be fitted to a tubeles rim if you fit an inner tube.
In your instance, you seem to have converted a tubed rim/tyre set up into a "tubeless" state, but seemingly you wouldn't get a tubeless tyre to fit your rim properly?

Can you clarify something for me please?
I see that you've created a tubeless situation by sealing the spokes, but are you using the presumably original tubed tyres on those rims?
I ask because of a bit of confusion....tubeless rims and tyres have a different bead profile than tubed rims, in order to grip better and create the bead seal, but I think a tubed spec tyre can be fitted to a tubeles rim if you fit an inner tube.
In your instance, you seem to have converted a tubed rim/tyre set up into a "tubeless" state, but seemingly you wouldn't get a tubeless tyre to fit your rim properly?

Yes,I see how it could appear that way. The OEM tyres are Michelin Anakee which are a tubeless tyre and the rims have a bead which is designed to take a tubeless tyre. There are a couple of companies, most well known is Bartubeless, which do convert the standard wheels to tubeless. Nothing is added to the rim during this process, it's just a band which seals the spokes, but cost around £300.

:thumb

Thanks for the reply and clarification......the secret is in the bead. :D

Love the bike, by the way.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FLostRiderSpain%2Fvideos%2F2400681270222211%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="308" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>.....

Pretty good that. Always impressed by chaps who can put these big bikes through their paces. How long until something on it breaks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1591226685108.jpg
    FB_IMG_1591226685108.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 978
  • FB_IMG_1591226698899.jpg
    FB_IMG_1591226698899.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 939
  • FB_IMG_1591226710571.jpg
    FB_IMG_1591226710571.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 836
  • FB_IMG_1591226688865.jpg
    FB_IMG_1591226688865.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 795
:aidan

€8000....

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1591226706448.jpg
    FB_IMG_1591226706448.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 914
  • FB_IMG_1591226695702.jpg
    FB_IMG_1591226695702.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 919
  • FB_IMG_1591226692455.jpg
    FB_IMG_1591226692455.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 819
:aidan

€8000....

Extremely clever bit of kit,

But why take it from elegant to LOOK AT ME ...

I worked out in the first picture, from the lean on the bike, that it pivoted, and the side car was semi floating.

So why the need to make it obvious by having a feck off big chromed rod front and centre? Why not just powdercoat that as well??

:cool:

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1591312270532.jpg
    FB_IMG_1591312270532.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 758

Back
Top Bottom