New Guzzi V85 looks good.

Called in at Teasdales Thirsk on my way home from Dent. Big wagon parked outside unloading 12 bikes, alas mine was not among them.

Shame yours is not ready yet. What is the lead in time on these bikes?

I could have had the first one as I ordered last September. But I've ordered the Rosso Kalahari, rather than the Yellow.

I think that’s the nicest colour red and white. That’s what I would like, reminds me of my 75th Anniversary 1100gs.

Kenny daarling this is a picture of Guzzies production lines ( 2 )
They don't work 24/7.
So production is limited & they are probably selling more than they can make..
Plus their Italian, so do fings their way :blast

Having also been to the BMW Motorrad factory in Berlin, I can tell you BMW are light years ahead in production & methods ;)

And not arriving i the USA until later in the year ' allegedly '..

Saw on eon the road Wednesday last week.....Norfolk way, looked pretty good.

I took one out for a 3 hour test ride today. Most of of it with the wife on the back. Solo it was fantastic, light and fun and thing of beauty; as a two-up proposition it’s just a bit too small and a bit too underpowered. It would cruise at up to about 75 but it was hard work to ride it at 60+ really, although it was a windy day today. Another 15 to 20hp and a couple of inches on the seat length and height and it would be perfect.

I walked into Teasdale m/cs expecting to be placing an order after the test ride. I now feel very disappointed as I really don’t think it’s the right bike for us.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190607-201233.jpg
    Screenshot_20190607-201233.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 789
Well, nearly two weeks of ownership and still only 300mls. I was hoping to take it to Wales last week but this would have put me way over the run in mileage, so I had to go on the GS.
First impressions...In many ways it reminds me of my 650 x-country but with more poke and better handling. It does feel very much like a Guzzi (that's maybe because it is) and doesn't respond well to being ridden hard but loves being ridden on the wave torque.

Two up, not so good and does lack a little power if needing to overtake etc, but I've got the GS for those trips. Solo absolutely brilliant and just the job for the smaller A roads and B roads. The suspension does bounce you around a little on the more gnarly roads, I'll have to have a play around before deciding whether to go for the Ohlins unit.
It will pull fairly cleanly from 1600rpm in any gear, but there's no real grunt until around 3000rpm. Fuelling is fairly good but couldn't be described as 'spot on'.

The handling is very nice and it dips in nicely on most bends, feels very solid and goes exactly where you point it.
Brakes are spot on, more than enough power, very progressive and never feel snatchy.
Overall finish is very nice.

I'd be more than happy to go on any trip on this bike so long as I could keep the luggage weight down. I would be less keen to do a two up trip.

But it's not all positive. On returning from Wales I decided to get a few miles on the V85 last Saturday. Started her up, set off, and there was an disturbing crunching sound as I set off, then the bike lurched forward. It did this 3 times before setting off smoothly.
It's doing this every time you set off and the bike is cold, doesn't do it when warm. I suspect some sort of clutch plate problem and the dealer agrees.
Dealer says he's happy for me to ride it until it goes for a first service on the 9th of July. If he's OK with that then it's ok with me. Once it's over the 2 or 3 miss starts it runs fine.
Despite the aforementioned, which will hopefully be sorted, it's a cracking bike and an absolute pleasure to ride.

Must just mention the cracking gearbox, just snicks lovely into each gear either up or down. Oh why oh why can't BMW build a decent box for the GS.

Saw one at last at M&P on my ride to Pembroke Dock for my ferry home on Monday. Lovely looking thing, just wish I hadn’t cut it so fine and had the time to take a quick demo ride.

I took one out for a 3 hour test ride today. Most of of it with the wife on the back. Solo it was fantastic, light and fun and thing of beauty; as a two-up proposition it’s just a bit too small and a bit too underpowered. It would cruise at up to about 75 but it was hard work to ride it at 60+ really, although it was a windy day today. Another 15 to 20hp and a couple of inches on the seat length and height and it would be perfect.

I walked into Teasdale m/cs expecting to be placing an order after the test ride. I now feel very disappointed as I really don’t think it’s the right bike for us.

It's a shame they don't make the Stelvio anymore.

It is, but I bit the bullet and ordered one anyway. I should be picking it up on Friday.

Well, nearly two weeks of ownership and still only 300mls. I was hoping to take it to Wales last week but this would have put me way over the run in mileage, so I had to go on the GS.
First impressions...In many ways it reminds me of my 650 x-country but with more poke and better handling. It does feel very much like a Guzzi (that's maybe because it is) and doesn't respond well to being ridden hard but loves being ridden on the wave torque.

Two up, not so good and does lack a little power if needing to overtake etc, but I've got the GS for those trips. Solo absolutely brilliant and just the job for the smaller A roads and B roads. The suspension does bounce you around a little on the more gnarly roads, I'll have to have a play around before deciding whether to go for the Ohlins unit.
It will pull fairly cleanly from 1600rpm in any gear, but there's no real grunt until around 3000rpm. Fuelling is fairly good but couldn't be described as 'spot on'.

The handling is very nice and it dips in nicely on most bends, feels very solid and goes exactly where you point it.
Brakes are spot on, more than enough power, very progressive and never feel snatchy.
Overall finish is very nice.

I'd be more than happy to go on any trip on this bike so long as I could keep the luggage weight down. I would be less keen to do a two up trip.

But it's not all positive. On returning from Wales I decided to get a few miles on the V85 last Saturday. Started her up, set off, and there was an disturbing crunching sound as I set off, then the bike lurched forward. It did this 3 times before setting off smoothly.
It's doing this every time you set off and the bike is cold, doesn't do it when warm. I suspect some sort of clutch plate problem and the dealer agrees.
Dealer says he's happy for me to ride it until it goes for a first service on the 9th of July. If he's OK with that then it's ok with me. Once it's over the 2 or 3 miss starts it runs fine.
Despite the aforementioned, which will hopefully be sorted, it's a cracking bike and an absolute pleasure to ride.

Must just mention the cracking gearbox, just snicks lovely into each gear either up or down. Oh why oh why can't BMW build a decent box for the GS.

How is the switch gear, it looked a bit low quality in the dealers recently?

It's a shame they don't make the Stelvio anymore.

I've gone back to a Stelvio on three occasions now, in some sort of bizarre belief that I'm going to be able to manage the next one better than the previous one. I love the Stelvio and it's a great bike in many ways. Alas, it is just to tall for me and fully loaded I do struggle with it. In many ways for me the V85 is a compromise for the Stelvio. Yes it's just as tall, but I'll be investing in a low seat as soon as they're available, but because they weigh much less than the Stelvio it's much more manageable.
It's just as fast if not faster than the Stelvio, but it lacks that beautiful low down grunt and power of the Stelvio and clearly would not be able to carry a load like the Stelvio. Having said that one of the major issues for me with the Stelvio was how much extra weight affected it's performance for overtakes etc. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a 1000cc engine with 110 bhp in the V85 or V1000 in the not to distant future.

Well gone in for it's first service today. Looking like they're going to replace the clutch. Could be back on it by next spring:D

Back
Top Bottom