New Guzzi V85 looks good.

I like mine a lot.

I also still have my 2011 GSA. Here’s the main differences:

First off, they are not really comparable. Although both large capacity adventure style bikes they are in reality chalk and cheese. Nevertheless....

V85 is light and narrow so easy to handle at very low speed or push about.

You have a feeling of sitting on the V85 rather than in on the GSA.

I miss the extra grunt of the GSA. Real world speed is not really compromised but overtaking definitely needs more planning. And an impromptu wheelie off a crest just doesn’t happen on the V85. (Oh ok, not really a wheelie but a decent lift of the front wheel in 3rd or 4th). The lack of grunt especially noticeable when two-up (obvs but worth a mention).

Standard screen is very airy and noisy. To the extent that I really do need to do something about it. Airy is good when it’s warm as I do find the GSA very hot to ride when it’s very warm. Conversely the V85 is a very cold bike to ride in winter - heated jacket almost on max on the V85 compared to no more than half on the GSA.

The GSA definitely handles a lot better than the V85. My gsa does have Wilbers & ESA so is particularly good in that regard but the standard V85 rear shock is manual preload and rebound adjustable only. It is easily overwhelmed when two-up plus a bit of luggage with pegs, stands and even pillion’s heels dragging far too easily and dangerously so if a corner has a suspension chomping dip on the apex. There’s a few alternative shocks and front springs out there mainly from the Italian manufacturers.

The V85 will sound a lot lot better with a slightly more open exhaust system. It’s on my shopping list. My GSA with standard can but no flappy valve sounds just about right imho.

So far I haven’t found many solutions to over-packing the bike for a two-up camping trip. I have the standard aluminium luggage which is fine for a solo trip or a non camping two up trip. All the bike specific tank bags I have seen are rather small, I have yet to see anything like crash bar bags or other ways of getting some storage up front. No little pannier frame mounted tool boxes and the like available (yet).

Build quality on the V85 looks to really good. Better than the BMW and especially better than the newer ones. Switchgear on the V85 is a bit odd though and lacks feedback in use.

Which do I prefer? I like/dislike each bike for different reasons so it’s not a case which one I prefer it’s a case of the right tool for the job and how much you are prepared to compromise when the V85 isn’t quite right but is sooo much better in other areas.

I think that's a pretty fair assessment Austin and would totally agree. I don't use mine two up, I've something else for that. I've used mine for several solo camping trips and apart from the odd occasion when a bit more grunt would have been nice I've thoroughly enjoyed it. As for the suspension I used the settings that someone else had spent some time setting up and it's greatly improved the handling, although it wasn't bad to start with. Front...back it right off to soft and 3 clicks toward hard. Rear....Damping (preload) I run on the 3rd notch of the spring compressor. Rebound....back it right off to soft and a 1/2 turn to hard. Not normally settings I would have tried but it works. (solo)

Another thing you may wish to try. On the modes, the bike seems to be much more responsive in 'Off Road' mode. Some folk are saying they think that the modes may have been mixed up when installed. Yes, you lose rear ABS in off road, but unless it's chucking it down it doesn't really bother me.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1579553231282.jpg
    FB_IMG_1579553231282.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 425
  • FB_IMG_1579553240592.jpg
    FB_IMG_1579553240592.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 429
  • FB_IMG_1579553247175.jpg
    FB_IMG_1579553247175.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 456
  • FB_IMG_1579553253083.jpg
    FB_IMG_1579553253083.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 426
Claudio Torri is the only rider to contest the Dakar Rally four times with Moto Guzzi, each time riding a different prototype.

Listen to his story and relive some of his adventures here: http://bit.ly/claudiotorri

Thanks Ash - I did wonder whether he had been a rider back in the day.

Before the 450cc limit, those P-D machines were brutes. Great pics.

Policia demo V85

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1580256932013.jpg
    FB_IMG_1580256932013.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 684
Has anyone fitted a nicer silencer on theirs yet ?

Fitted a QD and decat pipe to mine. It came with a 25mm removable baffle. Still sounded a bit subdued with the 25mm baffle and too loud without. I messed around with bits of waste pipe and finally had a 30mm baffle made, sounds just right. I believe QD now make a 30mm baffle.

QD is a very nicely made pipe and I was fortunate to get the Y piece and exhaust all for the price of the exhaust. It was an early production offer.

So, MCN take the V85TT and the Triumph Scrambler around their 250 mile Route. All three riders (Camerman) thought the V85 was a better all-round bike. I could have told them that.:D

So, MCN take the V85TT and the Triumph Scrambler around their 250 mile Route. All three riders (Camerman) thought the V85 was a better all-round bike. I could have told them that.:D

Aye, but who are you?:D

I gave up reading the bike press some 20 years ago now, it had something to do with Buells that pissed me off and how the riders did not "get it"......We are no ones, we know nothing......The press always has been full of wankers, usually self important, lacking understanding of anything mechanical and totally oblivious to how it all works, or not.

I know a good bike when I ride one and what anyone else has to say is wasted on me, so they can all fuck off.:thumb2

Aye, but who are you?:D

I gave up reading the bike press some 20 years ago now, it had something to do with Buells that pissed me off and how the riders did not "get it"......We are no ones, we know nothing......The press always has been full of wankers, usually self important, lacking understanding of anything mechanical and totally oblivious to how it all works, or not.

I know a good bike when I ride one and what anyone else has to say is wasted on me, so they can all fuck off.:thumb2

+1....

Nice 2" woodscrew in the rear tyre of my V85 yesterday, 50mls from home. Fixed the puncture and back on my way in 15mins. Oh how pleased I was at making the effort to covert to tubeless.

Nice 2" woodscrew in the rear tyre of my V85 yesterday, 50mls from home. Fixed the puncture and back on my way in 15mins. Oh how pleased I was at making the effort to covert to tubeless.

I was impressed that you fixed it in 15 min ...............then I see you've made it tubeless :D

what method did you use ?

I was impressed that you fixed it in 15 min ...............then I see you've made it tubeless :D

what method did you use ?

Not a bother - approx 1 to 2 mins tops for fixing , rest will be pumping time (USA system with no glue , soft inserted mushrooms is what I use ..... am sure it had a fancy name , purple writing ...............)

Back
Top Bottom