Using hands free kits in France

Orinoco

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've just read the following from the Bike Normandy site; does this mean that I cannot use my Sena intercom to listen to music/GPS/chat?

* From 1 July 2015 it became ILLEGAL to use any “hands-free” kit in a car or on a motorcycle with any sort of device that emits a sound – whether through an earpiece, earphones (including earplugs with integral earphones) or headphones – directly into the ear. The aim is to make illegal anything that may interfere with the driver’s/rider’s hearing. The only exceptions are hearing aids, training schools, and helmets with an integral system. The detail of the law was released on 18 June 2015 – see the article here – securite routiere – the pictures are easy to follow! The sanction for non-compliance is 135 euro fine and 3 points in France (in Spain this is a 200 euro fine).

http://www.bikenormandy.com/book-a-motorcycle-tour-in-europe/advice/

Maybe, but the chances of it being enforced are close to zero - GDs are not stopping motorcyclists to check their helmets for earphones.

Don't let the worry spoil your trip.

The key is directly into the ear, so speakers fitted in a helmet is ok. Same with car, if the sound comes out of the speakers its ok, if its a bluetooth thing that fits over your ears, its not.

Will be hard for the local motorcycle Gendarme or Policeman to say im giving you a fine for having a helmet the same as mine lol Schuberth with Sena

The only exceptions are hearing aids, training schools, and helmets with an integral system

This is the what matters. Intercom systems fitted to helmets are fine, earplugs with audio input aren’t.

Sooo are they going to make it illegal for deaf people to drive if it’s such a risk?

Of more worry perhaps is the (much older) law about not exceeding the posted speed limits. Nobody takes much notice of that law, preferring to exercise the bikermates' inalienable right to ride at any speed they deem to be appropriate.... and of course to suck their teeth and shake their head at anyone who happens to do more than 5 mph past a school, irrespective. Quite why they need to get their knickers in a twist over this new law, is a mystery.

I got stopped by the gendarmerie last summer; zero issue with my scala unit on my helmet or my custom fit ear plugs....they actually wanted to inspect my luggage for.......weapons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only have been stopped once, and that was because I looked lost (going around a roundabout for a second time right by La Plod) very nice fella wanted to know where I was heading and give me directions, would have been a bit easier if he had bothered to learn English though so can only give him 3/5.

I only have been stopped once, and that was because I looked lost (going around a roundabout for a second time right by La Plod) very nice fella wanted to know where I was heading and give me directions, would have been a bit easier if he had bothered to learn English though so can only give him 3/5.

It’s indeed criminal.

No. It's in-ear devices that are banned: headphones. Speakers in your crash helmet are fine.

This is typical French "b******s".

Most of us wear ear plugs to help prevent damage to the sensitive parts of the ear, caused mainly by wind noise. Mine has a built in speaker - right hand ear only and I can hear quite well what is going about me.
I dint listen to music or phone and only to the occasional message from the GPS which most of the time is anticipated and causes no loss of concentration.
I believe that not having a loud disruptive noise constantly around one's head makes riding the safer and more pleasant.
I shall continue to wear mine wherever I drive France etc.
Perhaps the French should legislate on no-one speaking to the driver as well??
Drive safely and without undue noise.
Mike

Back
Top Bottom