Cold trip in Antarctica a long time ago.

Taking a break and looks like we were eating high calorie 'sledging biscuits'.

Attachments

• 20190616_155807-01.jpg
    20190616_155807-01.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 133
I may write more about navigation that far south another time Mike, yes we used Silva compasses pre set with the correct magnetic deviation which if I remember correctly was 12 deg for that latitude.
During my year at a previous base which was located on a featureless iceshelf we never went out without a compass in your pocket.

Hand drawn maps were suprisingly useful as they'd be accompanied with noted geographical features, little use in very poor visibility of course but as on other trips I did in Antarctica, if the visibility deteriorated then we'd pitch a tent and stay put although pitching on sea ice is a last resort so we'd find some land for a lay up.

Great read. I remember in Greenland the deviation was about 30 degrees which seemed plain wrong when adjusting from grid!

Great read. I remember in Greenland the deviation was about 30 degrees which seemed plain wrong when adjusting from grid!

Yes and I think this simple illustration shows just how sharply that deviation changes as you travel, in this case, further North :thumb

Magnetic-North-Pole-300x200.png

And interestingly as we know the difference in the position of the magnetic and geographical North Poles is currently 500km and changing by a few km each year.
Ah but what determines where the magnetic pole is?
Quite simply it's a point where the magnetic lines of attraction enter the earth towards it's core.

So we might ask what happens to a compass needle over an extended period of time, well something to get our heads around is around 800,000 years ago the same compass would have been pointing towards the South Pole and will do so in the future!
(The change occurs as the molten metal surrounding the earth's core is constantly changing)

Tim, thank you for sharing an insight in what was a very adventurous life part of your life. I wonder if the sledgehammer that broke was due to the cold temperatures? I know that many Scandinavians warm an axe before use,at temperatures not as low as you experienced.

In today’s world of risk assessments and all things health and safety it is refreshing to read about decisions that have to be made ,not to ‘tick’ a box, but because you cannot afford to get it wrong.

Tim, thank you for sharing an insight in what was a very adventurous life part of your life. I wonder if the sledgehammer that broke was due to the cold temperatures? I know that many Scandinavians warm an axe before use,at temperatures not as low as you experienced.

In today’s world of risk assessments and all things health and safety it is refreshing to read about decisions that have to be made ,not to ‘tick’ a box, but because you cannot afford to get it wrong.

Yes, but like they say...it's good fun until it isn't.
I'll not go into here but during my time there I lost 3 friends, 2 of them in a crevasse accident, a few months after I left 3 lads were travelling on sea ice never to be seen again.
When I can bring myself to see any video or photos of what's going on down there now, I see people working in Hi Vi and hard fucking hats!! I think travel is much restricted these days which of course is a shame but on the other hand there have been hardly any fatalities.

Fantastic pictures Tim even better in black and white adds to the atmosphere Its like a scene from the THING

Ha ha. Only occasionally did I get 'spooked' but when you do it's hard to to shake off.
In lonely places there's often an overwhelming feeling you are not in fact alone.......

Glad you liked the black and white photos, here's a couple more I found yesterday at my Dad's that I'd completely forgotten about, this time making camp on 3 week long trips with two 9 dog teams.

Now I could be the richest guy on the planet but still wouldn't be able to experience this in Antarctica these days as all dogs have been long gone :( :beerjug:

20190616_154910-01-L.jpg

20190616_155527-01-L.jpg

Here's a couple from a few weeks ago.

Attachments

• Ant_1.jpg
    Ant_1.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Ant_2.jpg
    Ant_2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 119
  • Ant_3.jpg
    Ant_3.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 64
Yes, but like they say...it's good fun until it isn't.
I'll not go into here but during my time there I lost 3 friends, 2 of them in a crevasse accident, a few months after I left 3 lads were travelling on sea ice never to be seen again.
When I can bring myself to see any video or photos of what's going on down there now, I see people working in Hi Vi and hard fucking hats!! I think travel is much restricted these days which of course is a shame but on the other hand there have been hardly any fatalities.

Ha ha. Only occasionally did I get 'spooked' but when you do it's hard to to shake off.
In lonely places there's often an overwhelming feeling you are not in fact alone.......

Glad you liked the black and white photos, here's a couple more I found yesterday at my Dad's that I'd completely forgotten about, this time making camp on 3 week long trips with two 9 dog teams.

Now I could be the richest guy on the planet but still wouldn't be able to experience this in Antarctica these days as all dogs have been long gone :( :beerjug:

20190616_154910-01-L.jpg

20190616_155527-01-L.jpg

Awesome :beerjug: You can tell me more next year on the next trip :)

Back
Top Bottom