Shetland question

Deleted account 210604001

Reaction score
Hi all,

Every year I do a short highland tour, for the past 3 years I've done the NC500 just as its a nice route and fancy a bit of a change this year.

Never been to Shetland, does anyone have any particular pointers on touring Shetland on Motorcycle ? Anything particular to see or avoid ?

I'm thinking a day to Aberdeen, then 3 nights on Shetland (overnight ferry is ideal), then a day back from Aberdeen to Midlands. I usually do Milands to Inverness in a day, so happy thats doable (if not enjoyable in bad weather).

Any particular hotel recommendations ? Does 3 nights in Lerwick give me sufficient opportunity to explore top to bottom ?

I did have a quick search on here, but couldn't see much related to Shetland, but feel free to point me to threads related.

Thanks in advance :thumb2

RBW.

Why not visit Orkney also. Shetland ferry calls into Orkney on the way back iirc? Lots to see in Orkney.

Why not visit Orkney also. Shetland ferry calls into Orkney on the way back iirc? Lots to see in Orkney.
My recommendation as well. But do check that the ferry schedule suits your timings
http://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/your-holiday/our-routes/

I think it stops at Kirkwall en-route to Lerwick on certain days only and at 11pm!

Maybe go from Gills bay to St Margrets, spend some time on Orkney and then head up to Lerwick?

Anyone care to update this thread please? Who's been and for how long? It seems to get little mention on here despite all the ahem adventure riders or is it the best kept secret?

:beerjug:

I lived in Shetland on Unst for several years and have been back to visit in recent years too; the ferry is expensive but if you don't mind dossing in the bar area instead of paying for a cabin you will save a few pounds.

The biggest Island referred to as mainland has all the usual amenities and there is plenty to see, worth starting at the south first then work your way north from there, the southern point (Sumburgh Head) is good for wildlife spotting and whales are often seen there. Lerwick is worth a walk around and has several bars and cafes etc as per any small town, thereafter facilities are minimal on the rest of the islands.

You can ride the length of the Main Island in a couple of hours, thereafter you can take the ferries North to Yell and Unst. Mainland to Yell is only about 20mins and Yell to Unst about 10min, ask for a return ticket all the way to Unst, saves paying twice and is (or was) a bit cheaper. Personally I don't think Yell has much of interest and would suggest if exploring off the main roads then Unst has more going for it. Each Island basically has a good main road heading north and south and all other roads off it are mostly single track.

Lots to see on Unst and some good riding, well worth a ride up to the old RAF Radar Station at Saxa Vord, from there you will get a good view of Muckle Flugga lighthouse and Out Stack the most northerly part of the UK.

If feeling fit and you like a good hike then head for Burrafirth, park by the lighthouse keepers house and walk out to the cliffs at Hermaness, the views from the cliffs are impressive but if you are into birds the Puffin colony is a big attraction, you will need a few hours for that. You can stay in what was the Sgt's Mess on the old RAF Camp and many of the buildings have been repurposed to small businesses including a brewery, the beer is very good.

In terms of riding, there are some good rough track rides, head to Norwick and take the track off to Lamba Ness, there is an old RAF Camp thats good to explore, the road has all but gone and is rough track. Again some great views from the cliffs and a good view looking up to the Radar station.

If staying on the islands and the opportunity arrises for a doo in the Village Hall do not miss it. Due to lack of facilities on the outer isles, locals make their own fun and have regular events in the village halls, anything from fish and chip nights to a full on Ceilidh with live bands, they also have bars. The people are welcoming and friendly.

Driving can be quite manic on the main roads as people race for ferries, be very wary of the sheep, they are everywhere, freely wander the roads and frequently get hit. Many of tracks from the main roads may require you to open gates, please ensure you close them behind you.

If you like fishing take a rod with you, virtually any of the lochs will produce good Brown Trout, Burrafirth and Norwick Beaches are great for flatties and the ferry terminal rocks to left on Unst are great for Doggies, occasional Cod and pollack.

Weather can be bad so plan for rain and wind.

As previously mentioned you could combine Orkney and Shetland into one trip, I have done both Island groups on the bike and if choosing just one I would say Shetland has more to offer, but you will no doubt enjoy both.

Lots to see on Unst and some good riding, well worth a ride up to the old RAF Radar Station at Saxa Vord, from there you will get a good view of Muckle Flugga lighthouse and Out Stack the most northerly part of the UK.

I was talking to a guy from Unst a couple of weeks ago in Douglas Park Motorrad in East Kilbride. He told me that the radar station is back in use.

The last time I was up there it was in '75. The local Police Sergeant took me up on
the back of his Bonneville. Looking back on it - helmet laws mustn't have applied in Shetland in those days... :D

I did the Orkney and Shetland trip with my son on our GSes in 2011. We did Mainland, Yell, Unst and Burra. I can't comment on accommodation because we stayed with
old friends on Burra and Unst. However, good food is to be had in the hotel in Scalloway.

I worked there, driving a truck on a herring curing station in '74. We used to go to the Marlicks and the Grand hotel to drink. There wasn't much else to do at nights except
for the occasional music session in the Lounge Bar and a dance in Scalloway Hall at the weekends.

We have / did have some members from Shetland on here.... :nenau

Been to Shetland on the bike a few times for the Simmer Dim rally.
Really enjoy it. Good roads, great craic.
The Simmer Dim rally is one of the best rallies going.

If you want an invite to the Simmer Dim rally send an email to Aimee Suthland at ‘simmerdimrally@gmail.com’ now.
Invites come out at end Jan - beginning Feb.
If you want a ticket then respond to the invite the same day as ticket numbers are limited.

Why not sign up for the Simmer Dim? Nothing like a hotel but a cheaper ferry crossing, live music, a beer tent and a few days to explore just to keep you off the beer. You will need a tent and wet wipes though:D

Guy's some brilliant information there, so sincerely thank you :beerjug:

The Dimmer Sim Rally looks like a nice smallish gathering, and i really quite fancy that :okay

RBW.

P.S. Have emailed to register for the rally :D

Can’t recommend the Simmer Dim highly enough.
Very friendly rally and as ‘lively’ as you want it.

Huge thanks to fatbaldbob for the detailed post :thumb2
Thanks also for the other informative posts Keep em coming

:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom