700 Tenere

And now, from a much less talented rider.... :p

I adjusted the rear suspension sag on mine tonight. I weigh 98kg with gear and lid on. I think the bike is set up for a much lighter rider, as I had to increase the preload from 10 (stock) to 20 clicks (out of 24) to get the right sort of figure, subject to a ride to check it out. And that’s just me on the bike. Add a lot of luggage and/or a pillion and I think I’d need a different spring.

Hi BLL - interested to hear how you are getting on with the bike, particularly from the long legs perspective as I have a 37" inseam??
Any mods - lowered pegs, new seat to improve things??
Any more thoughts on the suspension & spring - I am a few kg's more than you with no gear on :-(

Excellent...

They’ve made it look like a T7. :D

I actually had a 701LR specced up and almost ready to buy but most of the interesting places you might want to ride it normally require a fair amount of road riding to get there (thinking mostly of Europe and the TET etc). The Yamaha just made for more sense to me and the kind of riding I want to do.

Is was a close thing mind but I’m a “systems” person so I know I’ve made the right choice. :thumb2

I would be interested in that when you come to sell it (won't be long :D)

Hi BLL - interested to hear how you are getting on with the bike, particularly from the long legs perspective as I have a 37" inseam??
Any mods - lowered pegs, new seat to improve things??
Any more thoughts on the suspension & spring - I am a few kg's more than you with no gear on :-(

Hi TT,
The Yamaha Rally seat adds enough height for me to not need a peg lowering kit. The stock seat was a bit too close to the pegs.
The rear suspension has just enough preload adjustment for my weight with all the clobber on. However I’m not riding it on anything rougher than graded gravel tracks. If I wanted to (could!) tackle anything rougher the shock spring would need upgrading.
Others complain about the screen but I reckon being taller helps. My head isn’t buffeted around.

I’m 5’11” and with the Rally edition seat I’m finding the standard screen is pretty good, I wear an Arai Tour X4 and dont get any of the turbulent air around the peak like I did on other bikes. It’s quiet noisy as the air is hitting me lower down (solved with Ultimate ear plugs), but my head is not being buffeted about. The RE seat is 20mm higher than standard and the Rally seat is 30mm higher.

I would like to fit lower footrest, not because i have long legs (32.5”) but just would prefer for standing. I’ve got a Rally Raid 90 rear spring which has made a huge difference for the rear (I weigh 93KG full kit, plus 8kg of luggage). I’d like to do something with the front end as i feel it could be better, although generally its ok most of the time. Went to central Wales last week and bike was great on those fantastic roads (unlike tha crappy roads in Oxfordshire), but the zip tie on the right fork leg confirmed How much fork travel I was using on light off-roading, so the minimum I guess will be 6.3 fork springs and maybe re-shimmed piston stack.

Just back from a long weekend away on this bike and I absolutely love it.

It’s light, comfortable and just great fun to ride. I think (at last) I may have found a keeper. :D

Attachments

• D21AB1CF-109E-4E35-9428-D2D1A2F37A74.jpg
    D21AB1CF-109E-4E35-9428-D2D1A2F37A74.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 276
  • 6D9927B8-A9E0-40F5-81A7-FAFE360BB3AC.jpg
    6D9927B8-A9E0-40F5-81A7-FAFE360BB3AC.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 269
Tricky I feel the same after doing a number of day rides. Looking forward to taking mine on a 4 day Fall camping ride next week, if one of the guys trailers his DR650 behind his van, because he could carry my gear. I don't even have a rear rack yet. Are there brackets on yours to hold the side bags off the side plastic and exhaust?

A day ride in WV a few weeks ago.

Hi Clifton

I have the Adventure Spec rear carrier and side plates (in the darker blue as black or alloy colour not available). The side plates keep the soft panniers in place and I have two giant loop hot springs on the silencer to keep the right sided bag away from it. :thumb2

I've scan read the thread and may have missed something...if it is there but
What are these like 2 up? I'm probably 70-30 solo-two up. Would this hack it comfortably ?

What are these like 2 up? I'm probably 70-30 solo-two up. Would this hack it comfortably ?

There’s a guy on YouTube who rides one 2 up with a top box fitted, goes by the name Adrian Tompson, you could ask him.

I wouldn’t fancy it.

The seat is quite narrow and the pillion portion quite small. There are far better bikes for two up touring if that will be 30% of your riding use. :)

Thanks Tricky still deciding what rack(s) and luggage to go with but that set up might work.

Just popped into Fowler's and had to force myself not to put a deposit on this. Got a test ride booked for Friday though.

Attachments

• IMG_20200922_125040~2.jpg
    IMG_20200922_125040~2.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 245
Lovely bike, but Rally Edition seat isn’t the most comfortable. If you ride the standard bike, I expect their a tad more comfortable. Waiting on a SeatConcepts, when they release a one piece version (probably be early next year now).

Here’s my baby....

Attachments

• 8D589B72-67F4-4253-AE92-9402F3E577DC.jpg
    8D589B72-67F4-4253-AE92-9402F3E577DC.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 187
Lovely bike, but Rally Edition seat isn’t the most comfortable. If you ride the standard bike, I expect their a tad more comfortable. Waiting on a SeatConcepts, when they release a one piece version (probably be early next year now).

Standard dual seat is fine, for me for up to 2 hours at a stretch

Interested in what Sargent will offer, as I lurve their seats

New Head Bearings on mine last week
New Front Tyre going on it, next week

These stoppies are taking its toll:D

Back
Top Bottom