700 Tenere

Hello Chaps
Is anybody going the UK launch ABR festival 12th July (away on holiday) for a test ride,I am interested to hear what you think ??
Sometimes journalists don't feed the whole truth back to the masses,they might not get invited back for a free lunch.:augie

I am going
Hope to ride it

A very favourable review in BIKE mag this month. Yamaha must have splashed out on the beano to keep them sweet.

I hope to be there on the Friday

Hello Chaps
Is anybody going the UK launch ABR festival 12th July (away on holiday) for a test ride,I am interested to hear what you think ??
Sometimes journalists don't feed the whole truth back to the masses,they might not get invited back for a free lunch.:augie

Hello Chaps
Thank you for the response ,I will be waiting in anticipation of your reviews and if good? Then pop out and order one:D

Well I have ridden it for 45 mins on a Tour Tenere guided test ride at the ABR Festival

50% of the ride was off-road and the remainder on the road

Off road is was smooth and well controlled although the suspension was harsh over stutter bumps

May need adjusting as they were just generic German registered bikes that had done 4-5000 miles

On the road the motor is a gem - with a decent surge and plenty of go

Gearbox was smooth and without a glitch - very precise

Fuelling and delivery was amazing - no faults and at 30mph in 4th just wind it on and it was like a turbine, with no stutters or coughs

Screen was perfect for me at 6'2 from 20 to 75//80 mph on A & B roads, no vibes or turbulence - even with a Tour X

Suspension on the road was firm and for me I would definitely have to dial it in (or get it reworked if necessary)

Road manners were very good and it cornered great, even on knobbly tyres

Brakes were ok, abs didn't cut in early or out

Clocks were excellent and easy to read

Fit and finish was good, some innovative features for off-road riding

Only negative was the clutch cover stuck out a fair, so reaching the back brake with MX with your foot on the instep of the pegs - I had to ride on the balls of my feet, but I do that anyway
Only a problem sat down and stood up fine

Overall 9 out of 10 for me

All round a very nice motorcycle and one of the only new bikes in the last 5 years I would be tempted to buy

They will start coming through in Aug and September we were told

Very impressed

Designed as a middleweight it was very good for a sub 100 hp bike

They will sell well

A good review is just that, a good review.

Unless one comes away wanting to buy the bike it’s just a very nice bike. There are lots of very nice bikes out there. Where’s the killer punch that that makes you fall for the bike.......

I’m not knocking the bike as I’ve never seen one let alone ridden one......just saying ;)

Andres

Out of interest what did you buy instead of the Tenere and how do you like it ?

ATAS DCT love it although if the Tenere had DCT I would swap but obviously it doesn't.

As it happens I sold my 660 Tenere to fund the ATAS cause fucking Yamaha took forever to get their new one to the market.

ATAS DCT love it although if the Tenere had DCT I would swap but obviously it doesn't.

As it happens I sold my 660 Tenere to fund the ATAS cause fucking Yamaha took forever to get their new one to the market.

I reckon Honda will have a Decent rival to the Tenere soon, a smaller AT with a more hard core chassis based on that 125 concept that’s doing the rounds .maybe that will have DCT too?

A good review is just that, a good review.

Unless one comes away wanting to buy the bike it’s just a very nice bike. There are lots of very nice bikes out there. Where’s the killer punch that that makes you fall for the bike.......

I’m not knocking the bike as I’ve never seen one let alone ridden one......just saying ;)

Andres

Killer punch

I am having one

Competition White or to a lesser extent the Blue

Only colour for me and harks back to their 70's classic Yamaha heritage for me

However the blue is quite fetching and is a nod to the Tenere's Dakar heritage of Sonauto Yamaha, with the XT500 and later with Peterhansel on the XTZ 850 in Yamaha Motor France colours

All the reviews I've watched have been complimentary. It looks like a great bike.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with it.

They would've sold many more had they not fucked about for what seemed like 10 years bringing it out, lost a sale from me for starters.

Does Yamaha care what you think?

Boo-Hoo

Yamaha will sell as many as they can build and judging by the 200 yd queue to register to ride it on Fri/Sat and half that today, plus everyone who rode one on and off-road was really positive

3-4 years in development and it's spot on

Not massively powerful but a sweet bike to ride

Just how it rode and was designed

Just one of those all round great packages

Not huge power, but enough for that type of bike and how the motor delivered it - fuelling was excellent

For me, the positives were

Just a simple bike, back to basics

Cable throttle - no stepper motors and fly by wire throttle

Good screen

No Modes

No Traction Control

No electronic suspension

Bulb indicators and only LED headlight

Cable clutch

ABS can be turned off like a 1150 on road and trails

Gripper seat and comfy too

Fully adjustable KYB suspension and compression/rebound on both fork legs

Jap design and solidity - some great touches

It looks good (to me)

Have to order before end of July for the early discount price, so will probably do that and then reorganise the garage

Have you stumped up yet and when do you get it?

What was the killer punch?

Andres

Incidentally I rode a 1260 Multi 2 hours after, with some 160 bhp and whilst it was a monster compared to what I am used to, it didn't wow as it was just too much

Even in touring mode 120 mph in 4th came up in a few yards, if you dropped back 500 yds from the man in front

Bonkers and not for me

I don't want over 100 bhp as it's unnecessary for me

Sounds really good and ticks a lot of boxes for me too ~ enjoy :beerjug:

I think the thing that always put me off a lot of the Jap middle weight DS's in the past is their weight so hopefully Yamaha have addressed this with the new Tenere :thumb2

Andres

Back
Top Bottom