The America’s: North to South or South to North?

gbags

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a pretty nice problem that I’d like some help with.

In about September this year I plan to ship my bike to either the US east coast and ride down to Argentina or ship it to Argentina and ride it back up.

The season seems to me to be the main point here. If we, (wife and I on one bike) head south in September the weather in the southern US states and Central America shouldn’t be too hot but we’d have to get down to Ushuaia within a few months to hit the southern summer. I hear it’s way too cold out of summer.
Anyone been there and know when it is best?

If we ship south to Buenos Aires in September we can mooch down south in their summer to Ushuaia, then head north. I have no time constraints and want to take my time and pootle up on A and B roads. If it takes six months, that’s fine, I want to take our time and get off the beaten track.

This is a firm trip, not a wannabe trip, but we are always very flexible and never have fixed itineraries so please don’t confuse my not-committed-to-the-route-yet for being a dreamer.

Can any of you who’ve been this way before offer any suggestions/opinions about the seasons and your experiences? I especially love mountains so I need to get the weather right.

I’ll also picking people’s brains along the way for border crossings, great roads, mountain passes and things that crop up along the way but not yet.

Thanks All,

Graham

We have been loosely planning a very similar trip for 2019 or 2020 with the same dilemma. Not only is there the cold in the south but also the heat in Mexico to consider. My son was there a couple of years ago and the heat is debilitating until you acclimatise. He was hitch hiking though. Also in the south many roads in Patagonia are impasssble due to snow and there is a seriously windy spell too but can’t remember when.

If you are set on leaving in September though and don’t want to rush then it’s either start in Argentina or delay your southbound trip for a few months so you hit the weather right. I would also suggest a search on the US ADVrider forum where I know the yanks will have analysed this dilemma to death. It’s a good website to register on too - I have had loads of help and advice and free accommodation from the membership there.

The seasons pretty straight forward, your winter is out summer so if you plan to head south first, I´d be getting to Ushuaia around December, January. You will not escape the wind it blows like a bastard until the winter months. Everything is pretty easy going when it comes to borders, just make sure you have your ownership papers (originals) and maybe get some insurance on arrival for Argentina as some borders are getting a bit picky. From what I hear shipping into Argentina is a big NO NO, corruption is still at the heart of some of the people in authority. I would try Uruguay or take it to Valparaiso (Chile) instead. Six months is not a lot of time so if you can stretch it out you may appreciate South America little more.

Thanks fellas,

The six months isn’t fixed, we’re in a transitionary phase and can take a year if we want to.

Good info on shipping too. Valparaiso sounds just the job but I’ll ‘compare and contrast’ Chile too.
I have read that air freight is expensive and quick but shipping, though initially cheaper, often gets add-ons and requires the odd bung. I’ve shipped and flown bikes but not to South America.

I plan to use Motofreight as we’ve used them before and they were perfect, if pricey.

The idea of starting down there sounds best as we can go south as the weather warms up but the whole spine of the Andes right up to Central America covers thousands of miles so the seasons and weather will vary over the months. I’m also learning about the differing climates EACH SIDE of the mountain spine, but I don’t want too much information. Ideally I’d follow the summer up and skip it as we hit Mexico and the states but this might not be so easily doable. That’s the beauty of no itinerary though, we can change our plans to suit the road.

Good shout on AdvRider, they’re closer so will have far more people with the experience.

Good luck with your trips.

Graham

Well just drop me a message if you need any more info, I´ll be in South America (based in Santiago) for another 2 or 3 years I reckon, I´ve cracked 3 years already and still loads more to see. It´s not so cheap as you would think, Chile, Argentina (although the peso has just gone up 10 to the pound)Uruguay and Brazil are all a bit on the pricey side. I´m hoping to be in Bariloche by the weekend so I shall see if the prices have gone up to counteract the value of the Pound. You´ll enjoy it here. It might also be handy to get a few Spanish lessons under your belt as well. ;)

I’ve been doing Duolingo right through and am now going around again. It’s a very system online.

Are you working or retired or what John?

Good to hear, Duolingo, Babbel and Memrise, they will all help you to get on over here. I´m retired and slowly making my way around the world. It will be coming up to 11 years soon but seems like only yesterday I started out on holiday on the Enfield. So many places and most are great but South America has had me stuck here for a while and will be tough to leave and head north,hopefully then onto Africa, so it may be a slow slow journey.

PS, Argentina must have had to increase the exchange rate as everything is still pretty expensive, saying that Bariloche is a bit of a tourist hot spot.

I’ll look you up when I get down there.
We were in Southern Africa for three months last year; loved it.

No idea where I´ll be, but should be pottering around South America somewhere. Just a bit of notice, just withdrew the max 2000 Arg Pesos and the banks charge you 206.5 Pesos on top of that. So that amounts to £71.37 + £7.37 robbing bastards, even in Chile the charges are around £5.50 to withdraw £240.00, there was me thinking the banks of Chile could not be beat. :)

Blimey! I’d better start looking for money options.

Hi John,
The trip is now almost on us.
We’re air freighting the bike to Santiago as it’s way cheaper than BA and we’ll get there in about the second week of October.
All we have to do now is pack everything we own into a container again, give the bike to Motofreight and head out.
Are you still in South America?

Hiya, Still here and not going anywhere soon, knackered my back again so taking it easy. Very spooky I was just wondering who was heading out this way the other night, as I need a little favour. ;) It was also to remind you that September could be a bit bothersome (probably not) as it´s their Fiestas Patrias (National holiday). The week before has public holidays in it as well, I´ll be up in Antofagasta for that period drinking terremotos and pisco with the girlfriends family. :) Any info you need before just drop me a line, I´ll send you a message later.

No, I’ll worry about that when I get nearer the US. I don’t know when we’ll get there so there’s no point buying now.

OK the you need to know that nobody will currently provide insurance for a non US registered bike in the USA. It’s a bizarre consequence of the GDPR thing in Europe. This is why Sgt Bilco and co. (Me included) had to rent instead of shipping our own bikes. I hope another company steps into the market in time for you.

OK the you need to know that nobody will currently provide insurance for a non US registered bike in the USA. It’s a bizarre consequence of the GDPR thing in Europe. This is why Sgt Bilco and co. (Me included) had to rent instead of shipping our own bikes. I hope another company steps into the market in time for you.

I should be sorted by the time he gets there.

Bloody Hell!
What is GDPR?
I’ll have to hope it gets done by then or skip the US.

Bloody Hell!
What is GDPR?
I’ll have to hope it gets done by then or skip the US.

Don't worry mate, it will be sorted and I have just found a mexican company who will do 3rd party cover so you will be able to get something. PM me if you want details.

Back
Top Bottom