LC - Whats the actual score then?

gingerbeemer08

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm thinking of coming back to the BMW fold as my Super Tenere PCP deal is up.
Not had a GS since my 1150GSA and just wondered what the actual real-deal is with the quality of the new LC bikes?
My 1150's were always "built-to-last" which I loved, but there are so many rumors surrounding the build quality, finish and reliability of the LC GS family, I wanted to sort out the fact from the fiction.
So, whats the score? Do they rot in front of you and the shaft fail every time you take it out??
For info, I'm looking at a 2015 GSA with 9k miles on it. Looks pretty much immaculate at present.
(My fall-back if I dont go GS is a Ducati 950 multi or Tiger 1200)
Any opinions or experience welcome.
Thanks

i just bought a '66 plate GSA - came from a '62 plate Super tenere.

There are areas where the super tenere was better finished it has to be said, but overall i think the GSA is better. A good example is that mine has the 'black' engine paint which looks great and will wear well i think.

I also love that all the visible fasteners are stainless (and mostly T25 torx bits - get a T25 driver, it'll be your best friend).

Engine wise its much smoother than the tenere (although you might have had the 2nd gen tenere which i understand was better than my 1st gen).

Overall it feels like a much more modern motorcycle. Im very happy with it.

If you are looking a a 15 plate - have a good look around it - corrosion starts where in places where that gorgeous engine paint is machined off to join parts - so where the cylinder head meets the cylinders. Also at the back of the final drive - look behind the rear mudguard mounts and also around drain / oil holes on it. i have to admit my 3500 mile gSA has a couple of bubbly sections that im keeping my eye on.

Reliability - there are mixed messages on this board but all the people i know have had lots of trouble free miles. I'll find out for myself i suppose.

2013 TE with 45k. Never had a problem and just sailed through its MOT. Brilliant bike.

lc vs st

Hi all,
I'm thinking of coming back to the BMW fold as my Super Tenere PCP deal is up.
Not had a GS since my 1150GSA and just wondered what the actual real-deal is with the quality of the new LC bikes?
My 1150's were always "built-to-last" which I loved, but there are so many rumors surrounding the build quality, finish and reliability of the LC GS family, I wanted to sort out the fact from the fiction.
So, whats the score? Do they rot in front of you and the shaft fail every time you take it out??
For info, I'm looking at a 2015 GSA with 9k miles on it. Looks pretty much immaculate at present.
(My fall-back if I dont go GS is a Ducati 950 multi or Tiger 1200)
Thanks

HI,i would think twice before you do anything i have owned a tenere for the last year its only been into the dealers once for its 600 mile service!!!!! ,before anyone starts whinging i have owned 11 gss over the years ,yes they are brilliant to ride,but youll spend more time in the dealers with recalls or problems.If you manage to get a good one it will probably corrode away in front of you,tenere rides really well electronic suspension works well,build quality miles ahead of a gs,and come part ex time your gs will lose as much as anything else,enough said!!!:rob

2013 GSA twin cam Trip black, dogs bollocks & no corrosion, ridden in all weather
2016 GSA LC, dogs bollocks & no corrosion, ridden in all weather
2018 GSA LC Trip black, not ridden in much of owt yet but hoping for same as above.
Washed & protected/lubed regularly, serviced when required, best bikes I've ever owned.:thumby::thumby:

HI,i would think twice before you do anything i have owned a tenere for the last year its only been into the dealers once for its 600 mile service!!!!! ,before anyone starts whinging i have owned 11 gss over the years ,yes they are brilliant to ride,but youll spend more time in the dealers with recalls or problems.If you manage to get a good one it will probably corrode away in front of you,tenere rides really well electronic suspension works well,build quality miles ahead of a gs,and come part ex time your gs will lose as much as anything else,enough said!!!:rob

Totally agree. BMW bikes ride brilliantly but have reliability and corrosion issues. This is fact not fiction! Despite what people claim here. It is the last LC I will purchase, possibly the last BMW. I have had every known issue apart from engine corrosion and forks.

Damn...I'm starting to get worried now because I've done 20,000klms and owned mine for 2.5 years without a single issue. It did have the fork recall which took one hour out of my day.

I'm super shit scared of your post because now I'm worried the bike is suddenly going to start blowing up.

In another thread you said you owned 12 but now it's only 11? Yeah it's hard to remember lies sometimes eh?

In summary, why don't you just fuck off you trolling fuck!

LC vs st

Damn...I'm starting to get worried now because I've done 20,000klms and owned mine for 2.5 years without a single issue. It did have the fork recall which took one hour out of my day.

I'm super shit scared of your post because now I'm worried the bike is suddenly going to start blowing up.

In another thread you said you owned 12 but now it's only 11? Yeah it's hard to remember lies sometimes eh?

In summary, why don't you just fuck off you trolling fuck!

You obviously havn,t read the post above yours, when you have owned as many gss as i have had you can comment in the mean time crawl back under your rock.:blagblah

I had a tenere for 3 years prior to my GSA.

Yes it was a good bike but did have its issues. 3 sensors failed when I got caught out in a hail/snow storm. The dealer and his computer had no idea why, but it cost me just shy of £700 to sort.

The BMW is worlds ahead of the yam in rideability and performance imho.

Not had any issues with rust etc, just the fork recall.

I will update my opinion when it reaches 3 years old but so far it’s been perfect.

You obviously havn,t read the post above yours, when you have owned as many gss as i have had you can comment in the mean time crawl back under your rock.:blagblah

Piss off fuckwit, you can't even get your story right about how many you owned.

I've had a leaking fuel tank replaced, engine and now have corrosion on the fd.

Glad you're happy after covering 13k miles.....

I've had one LC.
It was ex-demo 5500miles or so when I got it.
It now has 102,000 miles on it.
Get it ACF protected then ride it.

I've had a leaking fuel tank replaced, engine and now have corrosion on the fd.

Glad you're happy after covering 13k miles.....

I didn't say there were zero issues with the bike in general but look at the absolutely dribbling shit of a comment I was replying to.

Ok I traded a 2015 Super 10 for a 2016 1200GS and since onto a GSA. I had the S10 a year and it is a good bike ...but they do have their weak points and yes suffer corrosion too. the wheel spokes are only plated steel and corrode easily. I kept mine clean but they were starting to corrode and I also found some light corrosion under the fuel tank. The spokes also came loose in the back wheel and quite a number of people have had spokes become detached and cause damage to the shaft housing as well as the wheel. My friend has had a rear drive shaft seal fail. I had an issue with the GS Gearbox when new that was sorted and no other issues at all. I have had no issues with the GSA. I do keep my bikes clean and use a protectorate spray. All bikes have their issues but most certainly not everyone, probably a very small percentage overall, have issues.

Buy the bike if it looks well looked after , its a better ride than the Yam, Look after it well and it will more than likely give you good service and it will put a smile on your face.

Thanks

I had 4 1200 GS LC standard models ( cruise and heated grips only ) over the past four years.
First one lasted few days. Rejected.
Second one a bit longer. Rejected.
Third one, changed it after 2 years for a 2016 model.
I still have the fourth one. Dealer took care of me and I like the bike, simple. Get the latest one you can aford:thumb2
I had BMW's since the late 80', 18/19 various models and engine configurations. My favorite is still the 1100S:rob:D

Back
Top Bottom