North Penines

wrinkleyowlie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm looking to put together a really great route in the North Pennines for when a mate of mine comes up in May.

I'm not unfamiliar with the area but I'm sure there are great roads I've missed or not travelled.

So, tell me your great roads up there and I'll post a route when I've got it put together.

B6277 from Middleton In Teesdale north to Alston is nice.
A686 north out of Alston to Haydon Bridge
B6278 from Stanhope south to Barney Castle

Depends on what day you go in that area as it is still very popular with the pocket rocket brigade. Meeting one who's on the wrong side of the road when he's doing silly speed towards me always puts me off weekend riding on Dales/Pennine roads.

I'd suggest a clockwise route through Swaledale towards Nateby (with a brief back and forth detour over Buttertubs Pass, just to say he's done it), then pick a route to Penrith. After that, it's a nice ride to Alston over Hartside Pass and a brilliant ride south east from Alston on the aforementioned B6277 to Middleton in Teesdale. If there's time left, head to Sutton Bank and back to Beverley via Rievaulx.

I was searching for the 13 or was it 17 Dales ride and found this....

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...at-roads-North-Pennines?highlight=dales+route

Well spotted Davey, forgotten I'd even asked this question before, sure I'm beginning to dement. It's the 21 Dales, Done this several times and it is a lovely route. My mates coming up for 3days riding staying at our caravan in Rosedale. The 21 dales route will be one of our days out. A route through and around the North Yorks Moors, and yet to be planned a route around the North Pennines. Some great roads up there, sometimes it's just difficult to plan a route without coming back on yourself, although it could be said that if your doing the same road but in a different direction, it's really a different road to ride.

I ride several roads multiple times every year, not through necessity, just because they are great quite roads.
21 dales :beerjug: Found a previous thread that lists them and a route to boot. First half decent mid week day in the next few weeks and I shall be up at 5am to ride it. :thumb

If you use a Garmin Sat-Nav you can find a route called the "23 Dales Loop" already planned within Garmin Basecamp. This is easily uploaded to your sat-nav direct from the Basecamp website.

Apparently there are 23 Yorkshire Dales hence the name, but i will stand corrected.

The "23 Dales Loop" route is about 180 miles and is planned to take just over 4 hours.

The "23 Dales Loop" route is about 180 miles and is planned to take just over 4 hours.

At an average speed of 45 mph, you ain't gonna get to see much of the scenery on those twisty roads. I might be wrong, though.

Highest road in England...

Anyone in the North Pennines should do the highest road in England. It crosses the top of the Pennines from Teasdale to Weardale. It's called Coldberry End...

Attachments

• The climb up.jpg
    The climb up.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 358
  • Snow.jpg
    Snow.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 353
  • Looking back.jpg
    Looking back.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 365
  • The crest.jpg
    The crest.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 375
hi steve

just seen this post why didn't you ask me or has your doctor still band you from riding with me:):):)

Now then Paul, hope you're well. After Ablations on the old ticker due to AF, I'm definitely taking it easier. Still like to get a bit of a wriggle on but need to keep the adrenalin flow as low as possible.

If you use a Garmin Sat-Nav you can find a route called the "23 Dales Loop" already planned within Garmin Basecamp. This is easily uploaded to your sat-nav direct from the Basecamp website.

Apparently there are 23 Yorkshire Dales hence the name, but i will stand corrected.

How do you download these maps from Basecamp? I go to View - data filter- Garmin custom maps. Click and nothing happens, no search bar etc. Am I missing something ?

Back
Top Bottom