XT660Z vs XT1200Z

denny

Reaction score
Hi all, planning on quitting jobs/selling stuff/etc and heading east from Istanbul for an unspecified period with no rota planned as such. We'll be on the road for 6 months or more heading to as many of the exotic and remote places the internet and youtube can throw at us.

Our bike is a '12 XT1200Z, which has served us well over the years flawlessly taking us on multiple trips across Turkey and Europe. If our proposed trip was purely asphalt then I wouldn't think twice over which bike to use, but a bad back and the weight and overall size of the S10 with (Ard Case) panniers has me thinking how practical the beast will be in majorly crowded cities like Mumbai or any city in Thailand etc where there are billions of two wheelers. Same goes for river crossings/off road/sandy/muddy conditions or poorly constructed mountain passes etc where the bike could be dropped multiple times over a short stretch. Loading the bike on trains/boats also.

These are some of the reasons why I've got an urge to sell the S10 and get an XT660Z. We did many trips on our old XT660X, which is nowhere close to the Z ergonomically, but that served us well over the years. I know there are a bunch of couples that have done serious trips 2 up on a 660Z, so its not a case of can it be done? I'm wondering whether its better I switch to the smaller Z sibling....thoughts???

The Yamaha 660 engine is pretty bullet proof and for just over the last 5 years I´ve been riding the XT660R RTW. Before this I started on a Royal Enfield Bullet and then moved on to a 1150 GSA before having a bit of an off in Australia. If it wasn´t for my dodgy back/knees I could have kept on my merry way with the big BMW, but being on my tod picking up the beast is a bit much these days hence the reason for the Yamaha. I´ve seen a few couples touring on the 660Z here in South America but they tend to be locals who are not GSér sized and have very little luggage. If you and the Mrs can lift the bike should you come unstuck somewhere then I would carry on with the S10. No matter the size of the bike in a city, you will always be the target to hit. It may just be a bit more suitable for slow speed maneuvring where as on the open roads the lack of horses with a big all up weight will be slow in the big winds.

You´ll be fine on any bike that takes you anywhere, but I would opt to stay with the big un. :thumb2

Many moons ago I swapped my XT660Z for an S10. Some of the reasons were the the stock sussies on the 660 were fading fast with not that many miles with the rear spring sagging a lot more than it did when new and it was gutless when on the road trying to overtake (and that was with open airbox lid and PC5) . Two up it was cramped and not something i'd want to subject the better half too on longer distances. The S10 was far better suspended and despite its weight easier to manage offroad (on tracks that weren't Bogs) due to a lower CoG than the 660Z. So imo the 660 needs suspension upgrades for serious long haul use and is a solo only machine especially if loading it up with gear.

Why get an 'adventure' bike and not use it for an adventure eh? :bounce1

couple of S10 questions...

I have Ard Cases, which are massive on the S10 when fitted on HB racks. Would soft panniers be a better option? Lighter and closer to bike?

Also questionable petrol quality east of Turkey? Would a decat be sensible, or can I go with standard exhaust setup? Decat means fuel programmer which means £££'s

Suspension, stick with stock setup?

look up Austin Vince he uses soft luggage you don't have to bash them straight after an off, is the stock suspension working OK? there is plenty of good advice out there.
Above all apply the kiss principle Keep It Simple Stupid.

Back
Top Bottom