New ferry Rosyth - Zeebrugge

I'm going out/return Newcastle on the 16th/29th June for £350 (bike and rider), that's still expensive and if work had agreed to my dates last November I'd have got it for almost £100 less...you HAVE to book DFDS well in advance to get a good deal.

I'm going out/return Newcastle on the 16th/29th June for £350 (bike and rider), that's still expensive and if work had agreed to my dates last November I'd have got it for almost £100 less...you HAVE to book DFDS well in advance to get a good deal.

Indeed. My July trip was booked in November via Direct Ferries for £379. Cheaper than DFDS directly.

I live on the coast just up from Whitby and usually book (Feb) dfds from Newcastle in May, 4 riders/bikes in a cabin at approx £180 - £220 which is all good. This year (end Mar) £330 each for 3 riders/bikes in a 4 berth cabin! So, checked out P&O from Hull and £134 each for the same dates! Ok, it's a bit further for my brother to travel down from Stirling but it's a great ride down, stop / meet for a bit of lunch and then another good ride over the NYM / Wolds to sunny Hull. What's not to like.

Tony

And seeking a loan from the Scottish Government, which may not be so easy after all the money they are throwing at Fergusons, Prestwick, and probably soon, Scotrail. Reading between the lines in the linked report doesn't seem to generate much enthusiasm from Scotgov!

Eemshaven is a couple of hours north of Amsterdam, but I guess would only add an hour and a half to the journey if you are heading south or south-east, not really a problem as long as the boat gets in early enough. Great if you are heading for northern Germany or Scandinavia.

Edit...google maps suggest that it takes an extra 45/60 mins or so to get to Dusseldorf from Eemshaven as opposed to Ijmuiden, so not much of an issue at all.

It was always a great shame the Rosyth ferry never survived, not sure why, I guess to a degree it priced itself out of the market. I certainly used it until it closed. They said it was because there wasn't enough freight traffic. Looking at the traffic on the Newcastle boats, it may be that there is only enough demand for one daily sailing between NE England/Scotland. As I read the linked report, it looks like a departure from Scotland every other day?

They seem to suggest that it would be good for Dutch visitors to Scotland.....goody....more foreign campervans at Durness!

Any way of linking Scotland with the rest of the world can only be a good thing, so best of luck to them.

And seeking a loan from the Scottish Government, which may not be so easy after all the money they are throwing at Fergusons, Prestwick, and probably soon, Scotrail. Reading between the lines in the linked report doesn't seem to generate much enthusiasm from Scotgov!

They seem to suggest that it would be good for Dutch visitors to Scotland.....goody....more foreign campervans at Durness!

That was my take, underwhelmed and not that interested.

Be careful what you wish for Durness, this might be applicable: https://stv.tv/news/highlands-islan...oll-scheme-to-fund-investment-on-nc500-roads/

There has been a shift of late from the primacy of the Channel ports which has seen the Humber (and to a lesser extent Tees and Tyne) take an increasing share of European trade and traffic. Whether this is also going to work for the Forth ports, I don't know. Hopefully a direct ferry service might prove viable but the level of commercial freight, not bikermates, is going to be the critical factor. The hard-pressed Scottish government purse might not see it as a high priority for backing. Yesterday's GERS highlighted the difficulties Holyrood will need to address to contain spending, or generate more growth and income.

Back
Top Bottom