Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car hire in Vancouver, help sought please.

We did 3 weeks from Vancouver September before last. The best hire car deal then, pretty much usually lately (Stuttgart as recently as last month was the same), is via the BA Avis tie in, though you don't need to be a BA passenger to use it. I'm on the road atm, but Avis.com/BA might be it.

My relatively extensive experience of hiring cars in North America has always been hugely in favour of completing the hire from UK. the Americans seem to pay far more than us and upselling at the airport always seems to be a win for the hire company. Other folk may have had different experience, but I guess it rather depends on the UK deal as to whether the upselling seems cheap.

Convertibles can be a bit of a lottery, depending on start location - I've had good deals a few times, but sometimes the premium has been outrageous and sadly not worth it. I fully see the draw however. Out first rag top hire was from LA a dozen or so years ago and the experience in Sequoia NP and Yosemite NP, with snow everywhere, fleece and hat on, heater on full, meant our second car at home has been a convertible ever since! The roof is like an umbrella - it goes up only in the rain as opposed to down only in the sun.

Do go to Questor and consider their rental car excess insurance. I use them every time - in fact it's usually economic to have a years cover for any reasonable length trip. It'll save you a bundle over taking out all the various hire company excess covers and damage waivers.

What an awesome trip and a very good time to do it! Enjoy.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Timaloy View Post
    I'm gonna turn the heater up & wear a coat.
    We may just be competing for a car. I'll be picking up a car in Vancouver on Sep 20th then heading up to Jasper where my sister lives.
    Purveyor of the finest dreary verbal diahrrea.(sic)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scotboxer View Post
    We may just be competing for a car. I'll be picking up a car in Vancouver on Sep 20th then heading up to Jasper where my sister lives.
    We're heading out on the 19th. Taking in Jasper along the way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dog View Post
    We did 3 weeks from Vancouver September before last. The best hire car deal then, pretty much usually lately (Stuttgart as recently as last month was the same), is via the BA Avis tie in, though you don't need to be a BA passenger to use it. I'm on the road atm, but Avis.com/BA might be it.

My relatively extensive experience of hiring cars in North America has always been hugely in favour of completing the hire from UK. the Americans seem to pay far more than us and upselling at the airport always seems to be a win for the hire company. Other folk may have had different experience, but I guess it rather depends on the UK deal as to whether the upselling seems cheap.

Convertibles can be a bit of a lottery, depending on start location - I've had good deals a few times, but sometimes the premium has been outrageous and sadly not worth it. I fully see the draw however. Out first rag top hire was from LA a dozen or so years ago and the experience in Sequoia NP and Yosemite NP, with snow everywhere, fleece and hat on, heater on full, meant our second car at home has been a convertible ever since! The roof is like an umbrella - it goes up only in the rain as opposed to down only in the sun.

Do go to Questor and consider their rental car excess insurance. I use them every time - in fact it's usually economic to have a years cover for any reasonable length trip. It'll save you a bundle over taking out all the various hire company excess covers and damage waivers.

What an awesome trip and a very good time to do it! Enjoy.
    Thank you for the suggestions, I'll certainly look into them both.
    The insurance thing intrigues me. Do I just take out the bog standard insurance with the car hire firm and show them my paperwork from the insurance company? Have you had any issues doing this?

'Don't mess with me' Member

Quote Originally Posted by wessie View Post
    are the cabriolets in Canada bear proof?
    I don't think it makes much difference.
    Thomas! There's a mouse duck in the house!

Thank you for the suggestions, I'll certainly look into them both.
    The insurance thing intrigues me. Do I just take out the bog standard insurance with the car hire firm and show them my paperwork from the insurance company? Have you had any issues doing this?
    All three of my US rentals booked from the UK (twice from Alamo via Netflights and once from Hertz UK) automatically included zero excess insurance

I am from British Columbia and now a UK resident. Canada and the USA are not the same so what works in the US is about as relevant as comparing Canada to the UK when it comes to car rentals.

A soft top in September is a really good idea. I suggest contacting Avis, Budget, and Enterprise car rentals in Vancouver rather than the airport rental agents and getting a quote. Try for a Camero, Mustang or Dodge Challanger. Once you have made the selection then tell them you are flying in and would like to pick it up at the airport. The Sky Train into central Vancouver is also very easy and cheap if you had to.

September in the Rockies can be terrific. Let us know how you get on

Blog Entries
    Thanx again to everyone for your help and ideas. I tried contacting each company advertised as renting cars from the airport and they all confirmed the same thing, 'No convertibles, even with 7 weeks notice'. In desperation I contacted the 'Guest Services' desk at the hotel we're staying at in Vancouver and they came up with a couple of options. I booked the car today for an eye-watering price but having had a soft top in New England a couple of years ago I know just how much difference it makes to the holiday for both of us.
    This is (hopefully) the last big holiday we'll have for a while as we have 2 dogs who are getting old and we're reluctant to leave them for too long, so I decided to bite the bullet and pay the price.

Blog Entries
    Well, we're back. I realise it's a long shot but if anybody is looking to hire a soft top in Vancouver we were able to book a Mustang through these guys......
    www.PacificCarRentals.com

Not cheap and there is an excess for going over the daily mileage allowance but the whole thing worked for us.
    I took your advice regarding insurance which saved me the best part of £200 for 8 days so thank you again to evrrybody for your help, I very much appreciate it.

Well, we're back. I realise it's a long shot but if anybody is looking to hire a soft top in Vancouver we were able to book a Mustang through these guys......
    www.PacificCarRentals.com

Not cheap and there is an excess for going over the daily mileage allowance but the whole thing worked for us.
    I took your advice regarding insurance which saved me the best part of £200 for 8 days so thank you again to evrrybody for your help, I very much appreciate it.
    Re being parky up country ... We had light snow heading over to Jasper but , the day after we left (a week ago now) southern Alberta had 45cm of it!

Re being parky up country ... We had light snow heading over to Jasper but , the day after we left (a week ago now) southern Alberta had 45cm of it!
    Not good. I arrive in Vancouver in 10 days!!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Masters View Post
    Not good. I arrive in Vancouver in 10 days!!
    Not so bad now. Have a look at the DriveBC site ...

http://www.drivebc.ca/mobile/pub/webcams/id/686.html

Route 5 via the Coquihalla is the most likely place for snow.

Not so bad now. Have a look at the DriveBC site ...

http://www.drivebc.ca/mobile/pub/webcams/id/686.html

Route 5 via the Coquihalla is the most likely place for snow.
    I'm going to Vancouver Island. I'm expecting it to be parky.....

Blog Entries
    We had 3 inches of snow in Banff when we were there sandwiched by 24 degrees C in Vancouver at either end of the trip.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12