Are you a Hendon shuffler?

Smug

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Following an article "The dark art of advanced riding" in Motorcycle Monthly it seems that IAM Masters are expected to stop using the Hendon shuffle. Not stopping using the Hendon shuffle was one of the reasons he failed when the author took his Master's test.

I was told by Giles that all Kent police riders usually come to a stop using their front brake, and that the Hendon shuffle is old hat.

Since my rideout with Giles I have reverted to stopping using my front brake which I find much tidier.

I was told by Giles that all Kent police riders usually come to a stop using their front brake, and that the Hendon shuffle is old hat.

It is old hat ... I last rode a police bike in 2012 and it was old hat even then;)

Nope, I was taught to stop with the front, but at the last moment revert to the rear brake to stop front wheel skid. These days I put whichever foot down that has the best chance of keeping me upright, ie look at camber etc before coming to a stop. Covering the rear brake is a good idea, but in realty, if you get hit up the chuff, you'll end up with your feet around your ears, regardless of what your doing with your feet.

Yep and proud of it. It was good enough in 1975 and it’s going d enough for me now.
Ending on the rear makes for a clean steady stop without wobbles.

Of course the answer is, as always, 'it depends' - but ending the stop on the front brake on my GS is the most stable and natural way - and then stick down whichever foot works best - simples :) Rules is for religions, not free thinkers ;)

Following an article "The dark art of advanced riding" in Motorcycle Monthly it seems that IAM Masters are expected to stop using the Hendon shuffle. Not stopping using the Hendon shuffle was one of the reasons he failed when the author took his Master's test.

Since my rideout with Giles I have reverted to stopping using my front brake which I find much tidier.

Why would a pass or fail depend on whether you do the Hendon shuffle or not has it suddenly become dangerous?

I am of the shuffle generation so Guilty and to some extent had to be reprogrammed when I did my IAM more recently. My observer made little comment as it did not cause any issues in his opinion. My Examiner did and commented on it after my test. We had a discussion in which I asked whether it was in any way unsafe? "No but it doesn't look good"." Is the priority to be safe or to look good? (See! Its not just on the forum that I'm a bolshie bugger!). "Ummmm " was the answer ...

Its the way Advanced Riding used to be taught. The emphasis now is less on rigid formulae and more on adopting safe habits for particular scenarios and I can appreciate that faffing about with the shuffle may impede progress and there may be occasions when sitting ready to snick it in gear and move off may be the safest option.

The 'Hendon Shuffle' is not required at any level within the IAM (I believe it was many years ago), and certainly not at Masters level. You have to be able to stop in a safe and controlled manner, and you must be able to put down either foot when you stop in case the camber is against you, or the road surface is poor on one side or the other.

The 'Hendon Shuffle' is not required at any level within the IAM (I believe it was many years ago), and certainly not at Masters level. You have to be able to stop in a safe and controlled manner, and you must be able to put down either foot when you stop in case the camber is against you, or the road surface is poor on one side or the other.

I have both IAM and RoSPA and neither examiner was bothered about the shuffle. As I stated earlier, put whatever foot down which is safest :)

Back
Top Bottom