Calling all F650 GS & Dakar Owners URGENT!

RPMDAKAR

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As a priority I urge all F650 , GS & Dakar owners to carry out an inspection of the wiring loom that runs along the top frame rail for chafing and corrosion as per the picture, you will need to remove the air tube snorkel to locate this little horror! Symptoms were battery going flat in hours, no headlight when the ignition is switched on, the bike will start & run, but as shown, this is a dead short from the + terminal on the battery and goes to negative in contact with the frame. Easy enough to remedy, just remake the connection and cover the loom with some high quality plastic blue water pipe, cut along the pipe to cover the exposed loom and also place some same pipe on the frame and cable tie up.

Attachments

• Dead Dakar.jpg
    Dead Dakar.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 801
Fix for chaffing on frame

That's sorted then!

Attachments

• Wiring Fix.jpg
    Wiring Fix.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 755
I'm hoping those two 'loose' wires aren't left routed like that in the first picture and the cable ties in the second would suggest you could be into similar shorting issues some time in the future.

Andres

Hadn't given that any thought to be honest! Its stamped into the frame somewhere so whats a sticker? This bike has been very badly abused by previous owners I admit and has 73k miles under its wheels!

I need a front end inc. wheel for a Dakar.. for a lady traveller,who had a mishap.if anyone can help ?

I used a offcut of neoprene fork protector wrapped around here! Such an essential mod...

Anyone have issues with the airbox cutting the air filter?

I'm hoping those two 'loose' wires aren't left routed like that in the first picture and the cable ties in the second would suggest you could be into similar shorting issues some time in the future.

Andres

Did you look at the second picture??????????? All tidy now and have had no probs since initial post.

Back
Top Bottom