GPX - 200 mile round trip based on Chimay - Courtesy of the Wallonia tourist office

I think this is the route shown in tourist office’s brochure, as shown in magenta in post #1, now replicated in MyRoute:

If you open the route in MyRoute and switch the map from ‘Here’ to Michelin, it is easy to see that it would (with just a little effort and imagination) be possible to amend it to include other quite nice roads. Here’s an easy example:

IMG_5047.jpeg

Or you could cut out two sides of a triangle at Saint Hubert:

IMG_5048.jpeg

Does that mean that the tourist office’s suggested route is bad? No, of course not. It simply means that no route offered up by anyone is always perfect, but can always be amended (with just a bit of effort) to suit individuals’ needs. It also shows how difficult it is to answer bods’ requests of: “Tell me a great 200 mile route in the Ardennes, for me and my three mates”. For every suggestion made, there can be two or more variations on it or indeed, five or more routes that are completely different.

For example, the tourist office’s route misses out two of the ‘must do’ towns of Bouillon and la Roche-en-Ardenne but it comes pretty close to both. If you want to stay in or visit either of the towns, just amend the route a bit.

IMG_5049.jpeg

IMG_5050.jpeg

There are of course, lots of other routes centred on Bouillon and / or la-Roche-en-Ardenne or any other towns or villages, across the massive area of the Ardennes / Wallonia. Muck it around as much as you like. It’s free and can’t break it. The only limitation is your imagination, the internet will do the rest.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom