Switzerland in early July 2018

Wapping

Reaction score
I have cut and edited this request for advice from another thread:

Hi chaps.

I am heading to the Swiss alps in first week of July. It'll be London to dusseldorf. I booked the motorrail. The next morning will be in innsbruck where the fun starts. And making my trip towards UK bound via the Swiss passes.

...how easy (is it) to find place in campsites in July as I know its high season in europe. I am planning to do tent camping and only need a pitch but not sure if space would be available in that time of the year.

This is an old thread from the internet but I guess most of the information is still vaguely relevant.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/camping-in-switzerland-some-basic-advice-needed/

From it, I found the ADAC camping guide they mention, so that bit is still current.

https://campingfuehrer.adac.de/home/index.php

The ASCI site seems to work, too:

https://www.eurocampings.co.uk/switzerland/

The thing I guess to watch out for is, for every 'Wing it mate, book nothing, look at the weather on the day..." bit of advice you get, you'll get :"We booked and loved it". Then maybe think that none of the bods who issue you the advice will actually be with you on your jaunt. If a campsite (at the end of a hot day's hooning or spent in monumental thunderstorms) turns out to be full, the blokes that said it will be a breeze and no problem at all will not be there for you to kick in the love nuts.

I have cut and edited this request for advice from another thread:
Depends when in July, early bit not everywhere is on holiday yet, last bit can be a bit of a challenge.

I found contacting local tourist information, well in advance, was worthwhile and you found places that you wouldn't have considered at first glance.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Scottish schools on holiday, and I think Dutch too; most are like England, end of July beginning August.

And there’s the crafty Hun, often kicking off their school summer holidays in late June and early July. It’s how they caught us napping in 1940, I guess?

ripped from your parallel thread:

There's a campsite at Andermatt, at the Ski Lift, stayed a couple of times, basic but convenient for the town and Andermatt makes a good base.

I've camped at Interlaken this time of year before - no problem. It's on the doorstep of the Susten, Furka, Grimsel passes and, of course, Andermatt (love that place).

Hi de hi campers!

There are loads of camp subscribers on UKGSer, do none of you have a view on whether aksel13 should pre-book his campsites in Switzerland during the first week of July 2018?

That’s one vote for pre-booking and, I guess, one potential need to kick someone in the love nuts saved for another day.

We are on a roll.

Keep ‘em coming, as they say.

Hi de hi campers!

There are loads of camp subscribers on UKGSer, do none of you have a view on whether aksel13 should pre-book his campsites in Switzerland during the first week of July 2018?
I guess everyone out in camping without Internet. I should probably do Airbnb then.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Hi de hi campers!

NO, don't pre-book. There's plenty all over the country. You'll probably want to know where they are in advance but I just look for them when I nearly ready to stop for the day. That's what I did when I came across the one in Interlaken.

Here's the view I had from my campsite at Interlaken:

Attachments

• IMG_20150906_142534485.jpg
    IMG_20150906_142534485.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 215
I have never camped (been camped??) so does my vote count?
Just off to Switz. by train at the weekend (shoulder still dodgy) so I can recce the place for next year - last here in 1999!
My vote is to book the first and last night, and then wing it!

Here’s my suggestion:

From your other thread

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/480233-Swiss-alps-FIRST-WEEK-OF-JULY

We know that you are planning your route from Austria through Switzerland and back to home, all within a known number of few days. In short, you are on a timetable; you are planning it all so that you have a leisurely ride and don’t want to rush. As your route is planned, you’ll know in advance where you’ll be each evening, so you might as well book yourself in. Find the nearest campsite to each evenings’ destination, contact the sites’ owners and reserve your pitch. Job done, certainty established.

Which bit of YES don't you understand !!!

Just prebook it, when it works, it'll be down to your magnificent forethought, if it goes tits up it'll all be our fault.

Now be a good chap, get on the interweb and spend that money on your reservations.

Back
Top Bottom