Thread: Paradors and pousadas hotels webpages

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Paradors and pousadas hotels webpages

Dark Side of the Moon (Haute Loire) France
    Here’s one then

We stayed in this one before going down the N621 to Riano then back up to Oviedo

Lovely place

http://latorredelosisla.com/galeria

Parador looks a great place, would definitely consider while in Spain.

Never stayed in a Pousada (nor, indeed, been to Portugal) but I'm a huge Parador fan. They're not cheap (by Spanish standards) but always great value considering the facilities, comfort and restaurants. And by UK standards, they're incomparable.

There are generally offers available on the website but if you're planning on staying in a few, it's worth joining the loyalty scheme - Amigos de Paradores, free - to access better prices. They do a half-board Amigos Gastro package that will see you put on a stone a week if you go for it. And junior suites are often not much more expensive than a standard room.

I'm sure others on here have stayed at more, but the ones I've stayed at over the last few years are:-

Arties
    Sos del Rey Catolico
    Cardona
    Soria
    Cervera de Pisuerga
    Santillana Gil Blas
    Olite
    Lerma
    Siguenza
    Alcaniz
    Vic Sau
    El Saler
    Javea
    Mojacar

Planned for next year:

Santo Domingo de la Calzada
    Chinchon
    Alarcon
    Cazorla
    Ronda
    Zafra
    Guadalupe
    Jarandilla de la Vera
    Salamanca
    Canga de Onis

Of the ones we've stayed in, the only one I wouldn't completely recommend is Soria. If you can only stay in one (of those listed), go for Cardona. And if you can only eat in one, choose Lerma. We like to aim for the older historic buildings where possible, some of which date back to the 13 C.

Final word of warning: there is the occasional hotel which calls itself a Parador but isn't part of the chain. It's because they're state-owned - not generally a recipe for success! - that they are sited in some of the best locations and best edifices.

We generally go for Paradors but there are plenty of other options which are also circa 12c. You just have to look around.

There is one parador missing from that list above which is arguably the best one; El Parador De Santo Estevo in Ourense.

https://www.parador.es/es/paradores/..._content=ficha

It's very out of the way but it has several advantages, namely that in order to get down there you "can" ride the Fonsagrada road. The environs are interesting. Anyone thinking of going down there get in touch and I'll elaborate.

Quote Originally Posted by Enginerelight View Post
    There is one parador missing from that list above which is arguably the best one; El Parador De Santo Estevo in Ourense.

https://www.parador.es/es/paradores/..._content=ficha

It's very out of the way but it has several advantages, namely that in order to get down there you "can" ride the Fonsagrada road. The environs are interesting. Anyone thinking of going down there get in touch and I'll elaborate.
    That road gets an entry in the Best Biking Roads site I think: https://www.bestbikingroads.com/moto...o-a-fonsagrada

Stayed at a few of the Paradors and generally you either get a historic building, or stunning views of a historical town. Next year off to a favourite at Sos del Rey Catolico, and a new one for me at Seu d'Urgel.

Many thanks for the info. good people!
    "I must be traveling on now 'cause there's too many places I've got to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinten View Post
    Quinten, that post looks to be absolute bloody gold
    The Amigos Gastro package looks to be the thing...

This Pousada at Viana do Castelo overlooks the Atlantic. Stunning views. Very opulent setting but not stupidly expensive. Restaurant very good so do the half board thing.
    https://www.pousadas.pt/en/hotel/pou...=pousada-viana

Sitting on this veranda admiring the view was a great way to unwind after a very hot day riding the bike

This space deliberately left blank as the author writes too much pretentious bollocks as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinten View Post
    Never stayed in a Pousada (nor, indeed, been to Portugal) but I'm a huge Parador fan. They're not cheap (by Spanish standards) but always great value considering the facilities, comfort and restaurants. And by UK standards, they're incomparable.

There are generally offers available on the website but if you're planning on staying in a few, it's worth joining the loyalty scheme - Amigos de Paradores, free - to access better prices. They do a half-board Amigos Gastro package that will see you put on a stone a week if you go for it. And junior suites are often not much more expensive than a standard room.

I'm sure others on here have stayed at more, but the ones I've stayed at over the last few years are:-

Arties
    Sos del Rey Catolico
    Cardona
    Soria
    Cervera de Pisuerga
    Santillana Gil Blas
    Olite
    Lerma
    Siguenza
    Alcaniz
    Vic Sau
    El Saler
    Javea
    Mojacar

Planned for next year:

Santo Domingo de la Calzada
    Chinchon
    Alarcon
    Cazorla
    Ronda
    Zafra
    Guadalupe
    Jarandilla de la Vera
    Salamanca
    Canga de Onis

Of the ones we've stayed in, the only one I wouldn't completely recommend is Soria. If you can only stay in one (of those listed), go for Cardona. And if you can only eat in one, choose Lerma. We like to aim for the older historic buildings where possible, some of which date back to the 13 C.

Final word of warning: there is the occasional hotel which calls itself a Parador but isn't part of the chain. It's because they're state-owned - not generally a recipe for success! - that they are sited in some of the best locations and best edifices.
    Needless to say, this year's planned trip in June looks to be increasingly doubtful...

Email from pardores today - all closed indefinitely as part o the Spanish lockdown.