TomTom Rider 550 or BMW Nav 6

And there was me seriously starting to think about "Upgrading" from a Zumo 550.

Having read the above, I'll maybe just hang on a bit longer.

ps - I'm a Mr Wapping type user. No bells. No whistles. Just go from A to B, possibly via C and D. I reckon I've got it cracked now, with and without PC planning with Basecamp.
Just finished an interesting 2,000+ miles

Well if you just want a Sat Nav, the 550 is a far superior device. If you have an LC GS and want it to integrate with the bike, play music, read text messages and make a cup of tea, stick with the Nav 6.

Since updating all software on my 1290, my headset and my TomTom, everything works seamlessly now. TT for the Nav, TFT screen on the bike will deal with the music/ phone and other fannying about.

Well if you just want a Sat Nav, the 550 is a far superior device. If you have an LC GS and want it to integrate with the bike, play music, read text messages and make a cup of tea, stick with the Nav 6.

Since updating all software on my 1290, my headset and my TomTom, everything works seamlessly now. TT for the Nav, TFT screen on the bike will deal with the music/ phone and other fannying about.

Having lived with a fully connected Tomtom completely agree. It’s far superior to the Nav Vi, but you do lose a slightly bigger screen and the integration with the bike.
Siri is far better too. I can press either the sena phone button or the phone icon on the nav to start it. Far easier than fanning about going through three screens to get him.

The Tomtom phone app is particularly easier to use that than the Garmin. Put in your destination and it automatically gives you a number of alternatives on the map. Press the one you want and it’s sent straight to the satnav.

And of course the traffic cameras work as they should.

Glad I made the switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting on well with the 550 Rider but the screen is way too small. I would happily have paid more for a larger screen.

I'm confused as to why the route says it's sent to Myroutes on the ipad app but never appears on the device but when I plan it on my phone app it appears straight away. I guess I'm doing something wrong! Both logged on to my account. Odd.

BUT...as has been said, the screen is way too small for me. When it's displaying the camera/waypoint side section on screen the remaining nav area is frankly ridiculous. I realise they've made it to fit sportsbikes (a big screen would likely mean a lost sale) but who rides sportsbikes these days? Just back from 7 day trip and my mate struggled on back roads.

So, TomTom....please make a Rider version with double the useful screen size!!

I don't suppose you can get the Rider software in a phone app?? Could buy a huge phone and use that instead....or an old Ipad mini would be perfect!

Getting on well with the 550 Rider but the screen is way too small. I would happily have paid more for a larger screen.

I'm confused as to why the route says it's sent to Myroutes on the ipad app but never appears on the device but when I plan it on my phone app it appears straight away. I guess I'm doing something wrong! Both logged on to my account. Odd.

BUT...as has been said, the screen is way too small for me. When it's displaying the camera/waypoint side section on screen the remaining nav area is frankly ridiculous. I realise they've made it to fit sportsbikes (a big screen would likely mean a lost sale) but who rides sportsbikes these days? Just back from 7 day trip and my mate struggled on back roads.

So, TomTom....please make a Rider version with double the useful screen size!!

I don't suppose you can get the Rider software in a phone app?? Could buy a huge phone and use that instead....or an old Ipad mini would be perfect!

Now that I’ve done a few thousand miles with the TomTom, I’m inclined to agree. There are things that I really don’t like about it, such as the lack of proper zoom in and out on the main screen. The smaller nav screen is a pain as well.

I do like the way I can plan a route quickly on the phone or iPad and send it across, and that I can do an update over WiFi with no cables.

Ask me to choose between a 550 or Nav 6 now, and I may struggle to choose, tbh.

Now that I’ve done a few thousand miles with the TomTom, I’m inclined to agree. There are things that I really don’t like about it, such as the lack of proper zoom in and out on the main screen. The smaller nav screen is a pain as well.

I do like the way I can plan a route quickly on the phone or iPad and send it across, and that I can do an update over WiFi with no cables.

Ask me to choose between a 550 or Nav 6 now, and I may struggle to choose, tbh.

Left wondering why Garmin don’t do a similar app to plan routes. The curvy option works well on the TT. Quite impressed with where that took us through France. But I have to say that we used a Michelin map of the Picos and Asturias and then imput the routes into the satnav....its a better way than using google maps and what I’ll do in the future for sure.

I struggled with screen brightness when the sun was shining....the Nav6 hits a home run with that one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wapping do you copy and paste your answers? I received the same answer to a similar question. I ended up with a TomTom 550. Thanks for great advice

I have used the TT 550 far superior to using iPhone maps. The windy roads feature is fantastic and speed cameras great

I fitted TomTom’s rider 550 found it to be easy to use and does everything I need. The curvy route option is great although I found it strayed from main route. Great value if you don’t have the BMW nav wheel and cradle already installed.

Back
Top Bottom