1290 GT doing what it’s supposed to do

1290 SD GT May 18. Is the battery easily accessible for Jump Starting? I've bought one which is some distance away and has been sitting unused for some months.
Thanks
It is easy to get to as it's under the rider's seat. I would try to charge the battery first rather than jump start a completely discharged one.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I’ve just booked the bike in for an annual service and asked for the suspension upgrade to be done. It’s going to cost me 0.5hrs labour charges even though it’ll be done alongside other software upgrades but that’s nothing in the greater scheme of things so the next question was is it worth bothering with? The service Manager at Gear 4 says he doesn’t know because he’s not ridden one with the upgrade immediately before or after one that hadn’t had it done but apparently it’s getting good reviews on the internet. Well it would do because the general public are easily fooled and I suspect I’ll notice it about as much as I’d notice a 3bhp gain in power :D

I’ve asked for a loan bike and anything apart from a 390 will be ok. Part of me says have a 790 Adventure and another part says get a 1290 SAS because I suspect they’ll be discounted in December and comparing it to directly against the GT will help any decision making if one needs to be made.

I’ve just booked the bike in for an annual service and asked for the suspension upgrade to be done. It’s going to cost me 0.5hrs labour charges even though it’ll be done alongside other software upgrades but that’s nothing in the greater scheme of things so the next question was is it worth bothering with? The service Manager at Gear 4 says he doesn’t know because he’s not ridden one with the upgrade immediately before or after one that hadn’t had it done but apparently it’s getting good reviews on the internet. Well it would do because the general public are easily fooled and I suspect I’ll notice it about as much as I’d notice a 3bhp gain in power :D

I’ve asked for a loan bike and anything apart from a 390 will be ok. Part of me says have a 790 Adventure and another part says get a 1290 SAS because I suspect they’ll be discounted in December and comparing it to directly against the GT will help any decision making if one needs to be made.
Are this suspension updates to get the same as the 2019 model ?

If so it is definitely worth doing
KTM made quite a few changes to the Semi active algorithms which do by all reports i have read greatly improve the ride.

Having said that i don't take mine out of sport setting

Are this suspension updates to get the same as the 2019 model ?

If so it is definitely worth doing
KTM made quite a few changes to the Semi active algorithms which do by all reports i have read greatly improve the ride.

Having said that i don't take mine out of sport setting

I seen them bikes have track setting, and another flashes up a red triangle called illegal, what the heck is that one..........:nenau

I seen them bikes have track setting, and another flashes up a red triangle called illegal, what the heck is that one..........:nenau

It only has track if you pay for the track pack software

I have not bothered as 300 of my best GBP so i can turn the anti wheelie off isnt good value as I can do that by turning the TC off if i ever become brave enough

The MSR that is also included in the track pack applies throttle if it believes the back wheel is about to lock up on down shifts and TBH I can't think of anything i would like less than barrelling into a bend, shutting off throttle and down shifting to settle the bike nicely for tipping in for the bike to then accelerate me in

I have not seen anything that flashes Illegal yet but then i am very law abiding, honest gov

It only has track if you pay for the track pack software

I have not bothered as 300 of my best GBP so i can turn the anti wheelie off isnt good value as I can do that by turning the TC off if i ever become brave enough

The MSR that is also included in the track pack applies throttle if it believes the back wheel is about to lock up on down shifts and TBH I can't think of anything i would like less than barrelling into a bend, shutting off throttle and down shifting to settle the bike nicely for tipping in for the bike to then accelerate me in

I have not seen anything that flashes Illegal yet but then i am very law abiding, honest gov

Ta rick, it was on Highside last night, French bike program and really good and funny, but does show you a lot of stuff from little bikes to big bikes, and boy can they ride the, they loved the Orange bikes, but I never typed that...........:yikes:yikes:yikes and I am liking that 790 more for later, when the GS feels a tad heavy.

Ok, back to the original point of the thread which was touring on a 1290 GT.....

I’ve retrieved my KTM hard panniers out of the loft, searched for and found the pannier inner bags and the 40l roll bag (KTM Power Parts of course) so now I’ve got my limiting factors in place ready for my annual bike tour. I rooted around in the soft panniers that I used on the GS in January and found my battery booster, mini air pump and Kriega tool roll so they’re ready for the off and apart from bunging a few bits and pieces of clothing into the pannier liners I’m good to go.

We even dragged out the box of Michelin maps and removed the ones for the CZ Republic, Slovakia, Romania, Bulgaria and then the shit scale maps of Germany, Austria and a really useless one showing all of Europe in no detail at all. Two highlighting pens are in the bag with the maps so I guess we’re going south east from the Sachsenring unless it’s pissing it down in that area.

I might put new tyres on it next weekend but the ones currently fitted will probably see me through any trip of up to 4K miles though the bike might fall into corners a bit :blast

It’s in for a service on Monday so I won’t need to check the chain or oil while I’m away, tyres pressures are dealt with courtesy of KTM and I’ve topped up the Scotoiler so no need for chain lube.

Everything else can be dealt with by random use of a mobile phone and a choice of 3 debit cards :D

Anybody care to guess where I’ll have my first chat with local police?

:hijacked:hijacked terribly sorry your highness

I wasn’t having a dig, I was just giving fair warning to Europe that I’m on my way and this time Mrs B is coming with me which is no guarantee of avoiding police issues because she’s good at collecting fines though not quite up to my standards :D

I wasn’t having a dig, I was just giving fair warning to Europe that I’m on my way and this time Mrs B is coming with me which is no guarantee of avoiding police issues because she’s good at collecting fines though not quite up to my standards :D

I know Andy it was my fault......;)

I know Andy it was my fault......;)

I’ll probably start a new thread in the travel section when we head off so I can post random pictures of beer and food, possibly some of racebikes at the Sachsenring and Chimay and anything moderately interesting along the way. It’s going to be a random attack again because I’m shit at planning though I’ve been told we’re not riding bikes every day :D

I’ll probably start a new thread in the travel section when we head off so I can post random pictures of beer and food, possibly some of racebikes at the Sachsenring and Chimay and anything moderately interesting along the way. It’s going to be a random attack again because I’m shit at planning though I’ve been told we’re not riding bikes every day :D

You could pop in and order an E-bike for bear

http://www.sachsenring-bike.de/en/home-en/

Well it’s had a service and the suspension upgrade has been carried out at the cost of 30 minutes labour and I can honestly say that on the admittedly dull ride from Market Deeping to home there was no discernible difference.

It was drizzling a bit and it coped well enough as I went straight down the middle of the single carriageway parts where it could have been expected to skip about on the white lines and cats eyes but was that because the suspension was managing it or just luck? I don’t know but if it had felt a bit dodgy I might have behaved a bit better, as it was I needed to get home and get my act together then drive 250 to be ready for work in the morning so I pushed it a bit.

I took a 1290 SAS out for a ride but only went as far as the Golden Arches for a breakfast then took it back because I’ve had one out before and know they’re better than the GT.

New tyres ordered ready to be fitted next Thursday just in time for the ride to Harwich the same evening.

What am I getting? I honestly don’t know, I told them either Michelin Pilot Road, Conti Road Attacks or Pirelli Angels and I don’t care which they fit. Any of them will do the job though I suspect I’ll ride like a twat if they fit Michelins 😀

New tyres ordered ready to be fitted next Thursday just in time for the ride to Harwich the same evening.

What am I getting? I honestly don’t know, I told them either Michelin Pilot Road, Conti Road Attacks or Pirelli Angels and I don’t care which they fit. Any of them will do the job though I suspect I’ll ride like a twat if they fit Michelins ��

Andy let me urge you to get Metzler Roadtec 01

Back
Top Bottom