Thread: Wales 500

Wales 500

RallyMoto are organising a navigational event over 500km especially designed for "Big Bikes" with very light off road going that can be run on road tyres and myriad of back lanes and roads. Navigation is by roadbook or GPS. If anyone is interested please reply - it's May 26/27 and starts at the Thee Counties Show Ground in Malvern with free camping - http://rallymoto.co.uk/wales-500

I've already signed up, though I believe the weekend also clashes with this year's GS trophy which some people might be going to.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I would have loved to do this but just had to pull out the gs trophy as I had an accident and bust my ribs

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Looks great

Are there any one day events available for beginners?

If you look up the motor cycle club they run trials events with many classes including a R class which if I recall is tarmac only. You can use any bike you like if you look at their facebook page you see all sorts of bikes and cars competing. I'm thinking of doing the lands end trial next year on the GSA.

The edinburgh trial in the peaks is coming up too i think.

Sweetlamb do one day navigational events which use local roads and the 35 miles and 6000 acres at their disposal. They provide the training too. If you get in touch with Rob Loupart he is the one that runs that side.

Sweetlamb also do their once a month forestry rides which are fine for big bikes with fairly road orientated tyres as they use mainly the gravel access roads they warn you of any tricky bits.

Edit... rallymoto also the adventure canonball in the peaks.

I did put a post up about this event but only had a couple of replies. I'm really interested in it and have emailed the organisers for more information. Due to my artificial
    shoulder and humerous I want to get as much info as I can before shelling out a few hundred quid on an event I may or may not be able to compete or complete in.
    R1200GSLC
    Old Subaru
    Sofa bought at DFS not in the sale.

Emailed replied to so looking promising for this for me.
    R1200GSLC
    Old Subaru

Have to say I'm very very tempted to sign up for this. Looks like a barrel of fun and a great way to dip yer toe into some easy off-roading. Will be making some phone calls and sending some emails tomorrow methinks. Thanks for the heads-up!

This seems to be a cool event for some non tarmac roads riding and a good weekend.
    I looked at the video and I would sit down in many places when these guys are rising standing up on the pegs!
    Your views?
    https://youtu.be/Udebrtee8YM

That forest section looks pretty undemanding and, given that it's a long weekend, I'd be sitting down conserving my energy for much of what is on that video - even if standing up feels better. I've done a few similar 'gravel roads' in NZ - they're especially common on the South Island - and once I'd got used to the 'squirrely' feeling they soon got old. At least in Wales there's unlikely to be an issue with dust..
    Could be a cracking event, I might have to put this in the diary for next year.

What is a 'roadbook' that you have to hire? I normally do all my navigation for a trip at home and take route notes in my tankbag window. I have a GPS Zumo, but other than putting in a postcode I have no idea how to use it!

Google is your friend
    R1200GSLC
    Old Subaru

Quote Originally Posted by King Rat View Post
    What is a 'roadbook' that you have to hire? I normally do all my navigation for a trip at home and take route notes in my tankbag window. I have a GPS Zumo, but other than putting in a postcode I have no idea how to use it!
    Have a look round their website...there's a whole video section on roadbooks

https://rallymoto.co.uk/roadbooktrainingsection1/

Quote Originally Posted by Davey B View Post
    Have a look round their website...there's a whole video section on roadbooks

https://rallymoto.co.uk/roadbooktrainingsection1/
    Thank you. I spent an hour or so looking at the website this morning. I never saw any of this.