Wales 500

BurtieBoy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
RallyMoto are organising a navigational event over 500km especially designed for "Big Bikes" with very light off road going that can be run on road tyres and myriad of back lanes and roads. Navigation is by roadbook or GPS. If anyone is interested please reply - it's May 26/27 and starts at the Thee Counties Show Ground in Malvern with free camping - http://rallymoto.co.uk/wales-500

I've already signed up, though I believe the weekend also clashes with this year's GS trophy which some people might be going to.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I would have loved to do this but just had to pull out the gs trophy as I had an accident and bust my ribs :(

If you look up the motor cycle club they run trials events with many classes including a R class which if I recall is tarmac only. You can use any bike you like if you look at their facebook page you see all sorts of bikes and cars competing. I'm thinking of doing the lands end trial next year on the GSA.

The edinburgh trial in the peaks is coming up too i think.

Sweetlamb do one day navigational events which use local roads and the 35 miles and 6000 acres at their disposal. They provide the training too. If you get in touch with Rob Loupart he is the one that runs that side.

Sweetlamb also do their once a month forestry rides which are fine for big bikes with fairly road orientated tyres as they use mainly the gravel access roads they warn you of any tricky bits.

Edit... rallymoto also the adventure canonball in the peaks.

I did put a post up about this event but only had a couple of replies. I'm really interested in it and have emailed the organisers for more information. Due to my artificial
shoulder and humerous I want to get as much info as I can before shelling out a few hundred quid on an event I may or may not be able to compete or complete in.

Emailed replied to so looking promising for this for me.

Have to say I'm very very tempted to sign up for this. Looks like a barrel of fun and a great way to dip yer toe into some easy off-roading. Will be making some phone calls and sending some emails tomorrow methinks. Thanks for the heads-up! :thumb2

That forest section looks pretty undemanding and, given that it's a long weekend, I'd be sitting down conserving my energy for much of what is on that video - even if standing up feels better. I've done a few similar 'gravel roads' in NZ - they're especially common on the South Island - and once I'd got used to the 'squirrely' feeling they soon got old. At least in Wales there's unlikely to be an issue with dust..
Could be a cracking event, I might have to put this in the diary for next year.

What is a 'roadbook' that you have to hire? I normally do all my navigation for a trip at home and take route notes in my tankbag window. I have a GPS Zumo, but other than putting in a postcode I have no idea how to use it!

I've been following the RallyMoto series on Facebook and their site and quite fancy giving it a shot. Biggest issue for me is distance given I'm near Canterbury and the events are Kielder / Wales etc..

I have to confess I'm unsure to risk my shiny unmarked Africa Twin doing it (yes I know it's what it was designed for but I paid for it and will have to pay to repair it). The website intimates a helpful nod will be given 'if' more off road biased tyres are required but looking at the videos on YouTube etc all entrants are on full knobblies and many turning up with their bike in vans. I doubt there'll be much left of any knobblies if I ride the 300 plus to Kielder on knobbly tyres. I'm wondering if it's worth changing my GasGas EC200 for something bigger that I won't mind dinking as much, maybe an XT600Z or 650GS etc. Any views..

I'm in the same boat, I have to ride from Norfolk and I know people from the south coast who do them. My first wales one was on STRs and the Kielder I just did was on Pirelli rallies. If you have any off road experience at all you will be fine. I am now totally addicted and want to do a full season next year.

I'm in the same boat, I have to ride from Norfolk and I know people from the south coast who do them. My first wales one was on STRs and the Kielder I just did was on Pirelli rallies. If you have any off road experience at all you will be fine. I am now totally addicted and want to do a full season next year.

Good to know there's a few travelling up from around the UK. I'm ok with off road, slow and unspectacular but I get there. Are the Pirelli Rally you used more of road biased than the STR's

No the other way round, STR is for street, rally is the same pattern but bigger gaps.

Back
Top Bottom