Unsupported Link ?

fatbob99

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So I've managed to learn how to use google maps for my upcoming trip , I've been able to transfer them successfully onto basecamp and put them on my Garmin.
I'm now trying to share these maps with the others who have all TomToms , If I can convert them to GPX they appear to have gained 1000's of additional waypoints when the others look at them.
Additional to that I try and share them through Google maps and they can't open them as the error " unsupported link" appears on both mobile device ( even on their google maps)
Anyone any ideas how to
1: Share a google map so they can open it
2: How to convert Garmin files so they can be opened on a Tomtom
3: Why the other devices show so many waypoints ?

Thanks in advance

The 000's of waypoints are most likely to be the result of sharing a track rather than a route. Plotting the route on Google maps, then transferring to Basecamp and finally to your Garmin may give you problems with routing points that don't quite match your chosen locations; Garmin maps and Google maps are not identical. Zoom in on each point to be sure it is on the road. Better still, just plot the routes in Basecamp, then share the exported route files. I frequently share my routes with TT users and they seem to have no problem importing the routes using TT's My Route app.

Tomcat has it right, as usual.

I moved your post into the ‘Other software’ section, simply as it all revolves around you starting in Google maps, then moving into BaseCamp (presumably just to get the route onto your Garmin device) and then out into a TomTom’s operating system.

The chances are the Google route was nothing more than a track A to B (or A to E, via the letters inbetween) which is composed of lots of tiny individual invisible points - breadcrumbs - that form the track. Somewhere along the process these points get converted into waypoints.

You could try several things:

1. Converting the Google track into a route in BaseCamp, to see if this removes the points

2. Tracing over the track, using the route creation tool in BaseCamp, creating a route. This is reasonably easy to do:

1. It sometimes helps to change the track colour from dark grey to something brighter, say green

2. Hit the route creation button

3. Put the cursor onto the track’s start point A

4. If necessary, scroll / zoom / reduce the map and put the cursor onto the end point B

Bingo, one route A to B

If it matches the track, great. Job done.

If it doesn’t use the shaping tool to drag the route so that it follows the track.

Bingo, one shaped route. Job done.

Share the finished route as a .gpx file with your TomTom friends at leisure

Or just start and end the whole process in BaseCamp (or Mapsource) - as Topcat suggests - and spare yourself all this grief. It really is very easy to do, not least as there are lots of very good self-help videos and webpages of advice on how to do it, not least on this very forum. Why make life complicated by introducing Google and God knows what other software into the process? There are enough posts and threads on this site alone to show that it only creates additional problems for bods, greater than those encountered because bods can’t or won’t use Garmin software, that’s been designed to integrate smoothly with Garmin devices... and to make it very easy to share Garmin routes, tracks, PoI’s and the like into a whole host of other operating systems.

If all that fails. Go to the Google and / or TomTom forums, help pages and videos. They have a duty to help you, not least as it’s their software (not Garmin’s) that is causing the problems.

For google maps you need to export from Basecamp in .KML format and then import this file as a new map from your google account. Don’t forget to make the new map public. The other thing is that google maps doesn’t make it obvious which way to follow a circular route.

There’s an”how to” available on google.

Back
Top Bottom