Garmin Adventures and Cloud Storage

redsmartie

Reaction score
Having processed my routes from my recent NC500 trip I went, as I normally do, to submit as an Adventure only to get an error. At the same time I was prompted to update my software which I did. After the update there was no sign of the publish button.

I visited the Garmin Adventures website and found this message"

This is to inform you that Adventures and Garmin Cloud services will be discontinued after May 21st, 2018 CDT. Users can access these applications through the published date to retrieve their data. The Adventures on your computer will be left in place but find and publishing will be discontinued. Users who wish to sync their data to a third party Cloud storage service may do so by modifying the Database Options in BaseCamp to point it to a folder under the Cloud storage service root.

I can see nothing in the settings and the software has no reference to cloud storage.

My website now has many dead links to adventures posted over the last few years.

Not happy! :mad:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-05-25 10.50.55.png
    Screenshot 2018-05-25 10.50.55.png
    57 KB · Views: 185
I'm not sure if I can find an alternative. https://www.plotaroute.com is pretty close but one of the best features of Garmin as its ability to read the embedded GPS location on uploaded photos along the route. This website makes you place them manually. Also you can only place two pics unless you pay for the premium package.

If its just a case of hosting I don't know why Garmin couldn't export something you could host yourself. The message alludes to third party storage but I'll be damned if I can find any reference in Basecamp (version 4.7.0 Mac)

Have you asked Garmin if they intend to:

A. Reinstate the service

B. Offfer something similar or better in the future

What, if anything, are the dedicated Garmin forums saying?

Have you asked Garmin if they intend to:

A. Reinstate the service

B. Offfer something similar or better in the future

What, if anything, are the dedicated Garmin forums saying?

I looked at the Garmin forums for Basecamp both in the Mac and Windows version and it looks like its dead and buried. There was a suggestion that they want people to use Garmin connect but from what I can see that is a walled garden of Garmin devices rather than being able to publish to a wider audience.

The lack of outcry suggests that not many people were using it and it unlikely that anything else will be offered in the future. I wonder if there was some GDPR angle on this based on the timing? Easier the delete the lot than to manage personal data on their servers?

It is a shame since I posted heavily to it from my blog, particularly since it was really pretty and the route maps were very interactive.

I've since tried a couple of web sites and a couple of Wordpress plugins but I've yet to find something that is as good or meets my needs.

Its only a small picture from the Garmin site, but in case anyone has not seen the results displayed on the we it was like this. Route on a map, geotagged pictures, and a description of the route.

zion-nat-park-screenshot.jpg

Back
Top Bottom