AF-XIED for R1200 LC

Bitten the bullet

Hi guys, thanks for a brilliant thread! It's answered every question I had about why I've found the part throttle behaviour on my 17 plate bike to be so nausea inducing and more importantly, it's led me down the good path to fixing it. I'm saying nowt about what my original solution was going to be...enough said on that!

Having decided that this bike is a keeper, it follows that the £400 squid outlay for an AF-Xied is money well spent. So I've ordered one! Trouble is, having spent the last 5 years with a blissfully fueled RT, I've not had to mess with a bike's fueling for at least 7 years or so....and even then, it was limited to some TuneECU and SAS removal work. From what I've seen on this thread, the ostensibly simple installation for a pair of AF-Xied modules is in reality a much more involved piece of work.

Would any of you fine chaps be able to provide any helpful hints or tips please, resulting from your hard earned experience of already having done this? I'm sure the installation instructions will suffice, but there's nothing like some real world tips to keep in mind. Was also wondering how long roughly I'll be looking at, considering poor to average mechanical ability and confidence!!!?

Anything would be really gratefully received!!

Cheers,

Max :)

Hi guys, thanks for a brilliant thread! It's answered every question I had about why I've found the part throttle behaviour on my 17 plate bike to be so nausea inducing and more importantly, it's led me down the good path to fixing it. I'm saying nowt about what my original solution was going to be...enough said on that!

Having decided that this bike is a keeper, it follows that the £400 squid outlay for an AF-Xied is money well spent. So I've ordered one! Trouble is, having spent the last 5 years with a blissfully fueled RT, I've not had to mess with a bike's fueling for at least 7 years or so....and even then, it was limited to some TuneECU and SAS removal work. From what I've seen on this thread, the ostensibly simple installation for a pair of AF-Xied modules is in reality a much more involved piece of work.

Would any of you fine chaps be able to provide any helpful hints or tips please, resulting from your hard earned experience of already having done this? I'm sure the installation instructions will suffice, but there's nothing like some real world tips to keep in mind. Was also wondering how long roughly I'll be looking at, considering poor to average mechanical ability and confidence!!!?

Anything would be really gratefully received!!

Cheers,

Max :)

It is actually not a hard job, just be patient, and in 2 hours you will be done, why 2 hours, because it is all about finding the right position under your seat for the 2 modules, so you can open and close the seat earlier, feeding the cables down to the O2 sensors on the bike is quite straight forward, and simple to do, think I posted some pictures earlier on.

Look at post 223 from this thread

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/482858-AF-XIED-for-R1200-LC/page14

It is actually not a hard job, just be patient, and in 2 hours you will be done, why 2 hours, because it is all about finding the right position under your seat for the 2 modules, so you can open and close the seat earlier, feeding the cables down to the O2 sensors on the bike is quite straight forward, and simple to do, think I posted some pictures earlier on.

Look at post 223 from this thread

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/482858-AF-XIED-for-R1200-LC/page14
Thanks smogbob, that's quicker than I was anticipating. I recall your installation pics now too, thanks - apologies, I'd forgotten you'd posted them. Thing is, if it took you 2-3 hours, it'll take me 4-6. As long as it's doable in a day (even by a noob) then that's great news.

P. S. I'd got it into my skull that it was a "tank off" job. Revisiting your pics, and judging by your time estimate, I'm guessing that's incorrect?

Cheers ��

Thanks smogbob, that's quicker than I was anticipating. I recall your installation pics now too, thanks - apologies, I'd forgotten you'd posted them. Thing is, if it took you 2-3 hours, it'll take me 4-6. As long as it's doable in a day (even by a noob) then that's great news.

P. S. I'd got it into my skull that it was a "tank off" job. Revisiting your pics, and judging by your time estimate, I'm guessing that's incorrect?

Cheers ��

You are correct no tank removal, and only reason it took me 2 hours was because I was thinking far to much how to pass the cables, but actually it is not that complicated, you can do it easily, only thing to be careful is sliding off the O2 sensor socket on the sidestand side, take it easy it slides back, and you need to use a flat headed thin screwdriver to lift the lock, or push it down cannot remember excactly, and then it slides back, do not pull on the wires to do this.

You are correct no tank removal, and only reason it took me 2 hours was because I was thinking far to much how to pass the cables, but actually it is not that complicated, you can do it easily, only thing to be careful is sliding off the O2 sensor socket on the sidestand side, take it easy it slides back, and you need to use a flat headed thin screwdriver to lift the lock, or push it down cannot remember excactly, and then it slides back, do not pull on the wires to do this.
You're a gentleman Sir. Thanks for the info, encouragement and in particular, the sensor socket removal tip. It's precisely that type of detail that helps an installation go through smoothly and conversely, making a hash of it is precisely the type of thing that can turn a simple job into an expensive nightmare!! Thanks very much.

You're a gentleman Sir. Thanks for the info, encouragement and in particular, the sensor socket removal tip. It's precisely that type of detail that helps an installation go through smoothly and conversely, making a hash of it is precisely the type of thing that can turn a simple job into an expensive nightmare!! Thanks very much.

No problem below you can see how the O2 sensor sockets are picture one is the tab that needs to be lifted with flathead screwdriver to release other socket attached

Second picture shows the slide out part that needs to be pushed back, have a good look it can only go one way, you can see in the middle the part that needs to be pushed up or down to be able to slide out of its place.

No problem below you can see how the O2 sensor sockets are picture one is the tab that needs to be lifted with flathead screwdriver to release other socket attached

Second picture shows the slide out part that needs to be pushed back, have a good look it can only go one way, you can see in the middle the part that needs to be pushed up or down to be able to slide out of its place.

Oh feck.... I've seen something really similar to these before. Think it may have been the connectors for the heated seats on the RT...maybe, maybe not. Whatever, I do recall fiddling with the darn things for ages before figuring out how to separate the two halves!! Thanks for taking the trouble to post the pics - it terrific to be able to see what I'm gonna be up against, before I have to face it.

Sorry to push my luck with your helpfulness but, on an entirely related but slightly different note, my bike's got the standard exhaust headers plus cat, with a slip on Fuel tailpipe. I tend to run baffle out as it's not too anti social!! I probably-- definitely in fact - should have confirmed this BEFORE placing my order...but do you happen to know if this is an OK exhaust setup on which to run the AF-XIEDS? I'm hoping that

A) the cat won't get damaged by the slightly richer running and
B) the boy racer end can won't have any impact on the o2 sensor readings (by making the bike run leaner than expected?!) and therefore the AF-XIEDS ability to compensate.

I may be over thinking this :-(

Oh feck.... I've seen something really similar to these before. Think it may have been the connectors for the heated seats on the RT...maybe, maybe not. Whatever, I do recall fiddling with the darn things for ages before figuring out how to separate the two halves!! Thanks for taking the trouble to post the pics - it terrific to be able to see what I'm gonna be up against, before I have to face it.

Sorry to push my luck with your helpfulness but, on an entirely related but slightly different note, my bike's got the standard exhaust headers plus cat, with a slip on Fuel tailpipe. I tend to run baffle out as it's not too anti social!! I probably-- definitely in fact - should have confirmed this BEFORE placing my order...but do you happen to know if this is an OK exhaust setup on which to run the AF-XIEDS? I'm hoping that

B) the boy racer end can won't have any impact on the o2 sensor readings (by making the bike run leaner than expected?!) and therefore the AF-XIEDS ability to compensate.

I think Roger will be along later, he will be more able to say technically what will be good or not, I run everything standard headers and exhaust, and all is fine, and if it runs richer you can just dial a new number in, at the moment I have left it at stock 7 that is how they arrive, and might try 8 later.

I think Roger will be along later, he will be more able to say technically what will be good or not, I run everything standard headers and exhaust, and all is fine, and if it runs richer you can just dial a new number in, at the moment I have left it at stock 7 that is how they arrive, and might try 8 later.
Cheers Smogbob, that's put my mind at ease re the cat at least. Thanks for your help and for all your previous input into this thread, which has helped me to make an informed choice about this fueling improvement!:beerjug:

Cheers Smogbob, that's put my mind at ease re the cat at least. Thanks for your help and for all your previous input into this thread, which has helped me to make an informed choice about this fueling improvement!:beerjug:

Yep after all the heated debates, seems to be the only thing on the market that actually works on the 1200 wetheads, apparently they are trying to get this system to work on the 1250,s for those that like to tweak their bike, but most comments seem to acknowledge that the 1250 does not need anything it is fine, I must admit once again my 2017 Gs is fine even without the AF-Xieds, but just feels that little bit more stronger when pulling now, obviously due to a tad more fuel, do I actually need this AF-Xied personally I think yes as it might save the life of the engine, and I doubt the tiny amount of fuel used will hardly touch the planet, one factory pumps out more rubbish than my bike could in a 1000 lifetimes or more.

I’v just fitted Akrapovic headers (no cat) I’m still running the Af-Xieds on 7, but was thinking of going up to 8 to see how it runs with a bit more fuel. Has anyone with no cat headers done likewise?

Yep after all the heated debates, seems to be the only thing on the market that actually works on the 1200 wetheads, apparently they are trying to get this system to work on the 1250,s for those that like to tweak their bike, but most comments seem to acknowledge that the 1250 does not need anything it is fine, I must admit once again my 2017 Gs is fine even without the AF-Xieds, but just feels that little bit more stronger when pulling now, obviously due to a tad more fuel, do I actually need this AF-Xied personally I think yes as it might save the life of the engine, and I doubt the tiny amount of fuel used will hardly touch the planet, one factory pumps out more rubbish than my bike could in a 1000 lifetimes or more.
Apolgies for jumping over Rockred's post, but just to say that the part throttle surging on my bike was one of the first things I noticed when I collected it. It reminded me of a K1600 that I rode for many miles on a group test a few years ago....fantastic, eye wateringly good performance on a positive throttle but something akin to a bag of nails / pogo stick on a transient / partial / closed throttle. In fact, going downhill on a closed throttle (on the K AND on my new baby) is nausea inducing. It's precisely why I set about finding a cure from the outset.

Looking at this forum (not to mention the UK bike sites!) there's been so much debate, argument and bad blood spilled over the HT / AF-Xied / PC question, it all comes down to a matter of personal choice. If, by making that choice based on a balanced, informed decision I can end up with a bike that runs tangibly better than before - even if it takes a few tankfuls of fuel - then I'll have achieved my aim!

If it doesn't, I get the impression that these things resell like hot cakes anyway, so what's to lose?:D;)

BTW, based on how helpful this one thread's been, I've just subscribed for the first time in a good few years (ever?). One very happy forum user :p And possibly will be accused of being easily pleased, but whatever. :thumby:

Gentleman - those that have fitted these, have you advised your respective insurance companies?

Or are you declaring no modifications at renewal time....

It’s a fine setup to run with or without the AF-XIEDs.

A) In the past 8 years of reading three boards, I’m not aware of a Power Commander, Techlusion, AF-XIED or LC1/2 that has damaged a cat. Others may have seen or heard of cat damage, I’ve not.
B) If your bike is running fine with that end can now, then the O2 is doing its job. You can check with a GS-911, that the O2 is working if you’re concerned.

It’s a fine setup to run with or without the AF-XIEDs.

A) In the past 8 years of reading three boards, I’m not aware of a Power Commander, Techlusion, AF-XIED or LC1/2 that has damaged a cat. Others may have seen or heard of cat damage, I’ve not.
B) If your bike is running fine with that end can now, then the O2 is doing its job. You can check with a GS-911, that the O2 is working if you’re concerned.
Thanks for the various points of confirmation Roger, all greatly appreciated. Don't have access to a diag tool unfortunately, but I've been considering joining the BMW owners club over this side of the pond as IIRC one of the benefits of joining is shared use of a GS-911(??). I'll do some digging! On the face of it, if there were any errors apparent then I'd have hoped that one of the various Beemer dealers would've picked up on them - to my knowledge, the bike's been wearing this pipe for some time. Probably worth a check anyhow - my faith in franchised servicing is not high, through bitter experience!

Must confess that, having ridden a good few 1200lc powdered bikes over the last few yeao, mine is the only one where the surging is so apparent....and I'm a sensitive little soul when it comes to fueling :rolleyes:. I don't mind having to get this sorted though - it's always good to have a challenge! Reminds me of my LC 8 days!!!

Cheers for now.

Thanks for the various points of confirmation Roger, all greatly appreciated. Don't have access to a diag tool unfortunately, but I've been considering joining the BMW owners club over this side of the pond as IIRC one of the benefits of joining is shared use of a GS-911(??). I'll do some digging! On the face of it, if there were any errors apparent then I'd have hoped that one of the various Beemer dealers would've picked up on them - to my knowledge, the bike's been wearing this pipe for some time. Probably worth a check anyhow - my faith in franchised servicing is not high, through bitter experience!

Must confess that, having ridden a good few 1200lc powdered bikes over the last few yeao, mine is the only one where the surging is so apparent....and I'm a sensitive little soul when it comes to fueling :rolleyes:. I don't mind having to get this sorted though - it's always good to have a challenge! Reminds me of my LC 8 days!!!

Cheers for now.

Did your bike surge before you replace the silencer?

Gentleman - those that have fitted these, have you advised your respective insurance companies?

Or are you declaring no modifications at renewal time....

Spoke to my insurance guy before fitting company is AXA , and he said nothing to do with us, a lot of cars tune their engines and no problems at all in case of a claim, it would only be a problem with the warranty of the bike depending on the warranty TOS.

I would like one but with delivery and import duties, no change out of 450 sterling.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

Did your bike surge before you replace the silencer?
I've only ever run it with the aftermarket end can - it's how the bike came to me. And, now you come to mention it, the difference between this bike and all the other 1200lc bikes I've ridden is...they all had stock silencers, without exception. QED!

Must confess, the price is off-putting but when you consider the potential gains in rideability (depending on how bad your bike's fueling is in the first place), the price becomes almost academic.

Back
Top Bottom