AF-XIED for R1200 LC

Quick update for anyone that's interested :tumbleweed

2 tanks of fuel down, bike improving all the time. It's a very different machine now compared to pre-fitment;
mega midrange pull, smooth and torquey at all revs and now generally in need of 7th. I find myself naturally riding in at least one gear higher most of the time, which has also improved MPG slightly.

Less popping on the over-run, and riding down steep hills on a closed throttle is now a much nicer experience, the bike behaving a lot less like a giant pogo stick.

Town riding is getting better, much less surging around 20 - 40mph in any gear. Still a way to go here, but I stress that the bike seems better every time I take it out.

Weirdest thing of all is that the quick shifter now works miles better, up and down the box. Find myself using it all the time and it's really added to the overall sense of smoothness that the bike now has that it never had before.

All of the above highly subjective of course - doubtless I'm looking for improvements having spent what is an awful lot of money on this gadget. Placebo? Who the fuck knows, main thing is I'm delighted with how the bike runs now, with almost every fuelling glitch or gripe no longer noticeable. Well happy!
Like you, we all make our own choices as to what route we select.

What counts, is you are happier with your bike. Long may that continue.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

+1 on all of that, but do not worry we will be told it is in our heads, and we know nothing. :D
Well in fairness, I do know fuck-all about most thing, but I'm quite able to tell via my butt dynamometer when my Bavarian behemoth is running more happily and can say with almost certainty :)P), it is.

thanks to Roger for all the time he has put into this wonderful plug and play invention. :bow:clap
Indeed, impressive innovation. The build quality is worth a mention too. I get the impression that they're the sturdiest component on my beautiful bike. :D

Well in fairness, I do know fuck-all about most thing, but I'm quite able to tell via my butt dynamometer when my Bavarian behemoth is running more happily and can say with almost certainty :)P), it is.

Indeed, impressive innovation. The build quality is worth a mention too. I get the impression that they're the sturdiest component on my beautiful bike. :D

Totally agree now if there was a way to make them 2 boxes a bit smaller and the cables a bit longer and more flexible, it would be better than sex, that I had a few years ago. :D

Totally agree now if there was a way to make them 2 boxes a bit smaller and the cables a bit longer and more flexible, it would be better than sex, that I had a few years ago. :D
Completely agree Shaun. From a development perspective, if Nightrider / Roger are interested in taking the product further based on consumer feedback (prolly not now that they're redundant on the 1250s?), then indeed - one unit instead of two would be great, make it slimmer and easeir to slot under the rider's seat too and give it longer cables as standard. Perhaps a more thoughtful piggybacking package for the O2 connectors too, along with definitive wiring routing guidance for the installation.

But I'm being picky - the product is fucking awesome and definitely better than sex (well, that's my right hand offended now).

Completely agree Shaun. From a development perspective, if Nightrider / Roger are interested in taking the product further based on consumer feedback (prolly not now that they're redundant on the 1250s?), then indeed - one unit instead of two would be great, make it slimmer and easeir to slot under the rider's seat too and give it longer cables as standard. Perhaps a more thoughtful piggybacking package for the O2 connectors too, along with definitive wiring routing guidance for the installation.

But I'm being picky - the product is fucking awesome and definitely better than sex (well, that's my right hand offended now).

Yep spot on, 1 box 1 setting for both O2 sensors and cables more flexible, but as you say with the new 1250,s it is a totally different ball game, but seems Roger and the guys in the USA are trying things out, innovation is a good thing. and everything is well explained how and why it does the job, no rambling on, just technical info. :D

Seen this appear on eBay for the 1250

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/123921936163

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This extract explaines it all so clearly I have sent them my bank details immediately.

"The great thing is that when under constant load (constant velocity) of the oxygen sensor reports in Abgastrackt, are the Power Jet Controller the signal to the ECU the fuel / air ratio control as in the original condition with reduced lean injection. "

Go on, you need to enrole today.

This extract explaines it all so clearly I have sent them my bank details immediately.

"The great thing is that when under constant load (constant velocity) of the oxygen sensor reports in Abgastrackt, are the Power Jet Controller the signal to the ECU the fuel / air ratio control as in the original condition with reduced lean injection. "

Go on, you need to enrole today.

Can you forward you bank details to me too please??

From the description this device simply is an "air box intake temp fooler" which should work ok on earlier models - I was very happy with my IE.Sol version on my 650 twin.
Reading the more technical inputs on here about the process behind AF-XIED and the step changes made by BMW to the ir controllers (above my paygrade to understand , but I try) it might work on the 1250 but with unintended consequences.

Last edited:
I am seriously thinking about this. Unfortunately it is obvious if fitted. When i checked the website of my insurance company Bennetts it states that i must declare any fuelling mods, inc quick shifter (did not know the bike had a quick shifter when i purchased) Even have to advise them if the air filter is changed to a performance version. Even an aftermarket can they need to be told about.

To be honest they are fuckers and will want an admin fee. Think i am going to hold out until insurance is due for renewal in a few months....

Would be interested to know what your insurance companies view is and if they charged a premium

I have just fitted Akro headers to my 15 GS which has the AF-Xied fitted about 18 months ago. I ran with the Akro for a tank or 2 with the AF-Xied still set on 7 flashers, but decided to try it on 8 for my trip to Portugal as it seemed a little more hesitant than before. Now after about 800 miles on setting 8 it has got back its wow factor and then some.

A big thank you to Rodger for all the work that he has put in with helping with the development, and the time taken to explain in great detail why it works.

I have just fitted Akro headers to my 15 GS which has the AF-Xied fitted about 18 months ago. I ran with the Akro for a tank or 2 with the AF-Xied still set on 7 flashers, but decided to try it on 8 for my trip to Portugal as it seemed a little more hesitant than before. Now after about 800 miles on setting 8 it has got back its wow factor and then some.

A big thank you to Rodger for all the work that he has put in with helping with the development, and the time taken to explain in great detail why it works.

Wonder if it was the 8 setting that changed the way it ran, or the ECU itself adapting to the new headers, this is the beauty of the af-xieds you can change as you wish, and fiddle at will. :beerjug:

Is there a tuning mod that will fill in the midrange flat spot on the euro 4 bikes?

Wonder if it was the 8 setting that changed the way it ran, or the ECU itself adapting to the new headers, this is the beauty of the af-xieds you can change as you wish, and fiddle at will. :beerjug:

If any thing, its running better than before. Don't know if its the decat headers that perform better running slightly richer, or most likely a combination of both the ECU adapting and a tad more fuel plus the new headers. Had a run out with the lads from Gib yesterday, and the engine temps were within the 79/82 range with the temps inland mid-afternoon up to 37c. All in all I'm very happy with the results...:thumb2

If any thing, its running better than before. Don't know if its the decat headers that perform better running slightly richer, or most likely a combination of both the ECU adapting and a tad more fuel plus the new headers. Had a run out with the lads from Gib yesterday, and the engine temps were within the 79/82 range with the temps inland mid-afternoon up to 37c. All in all I'm very happy with the results...:thumb2

Yep it is nice to be able to fiddle around, as it is getting colder here, might try setting 6 and see what happens. :beerjug:

Yep it is nice to be able to fiddle around, as it is getting colder here, might try setting 6 and see what happens. :beerjug:

Little update to setting 6 after 2 tanks of petrol and a slighter colder morning start for the bike, no problems starting up the bike at either setting 7 or setting 6, but noticed more of a smell of unburnt petrol in the garage at setting 6, but maybe that was because of colder air in the garage, fuel economy, seem to be getting a little less mileage, but not the end of the world, riding the bike it felt no different from setting 7, no difference in bike temps, and obviously as wearing thicker clothing now, harder to feel if bike was running cooler or hotter, so maybe I will try setting 6 again next year when it gets hot again, so popped it back to setting 7, as it seems fine there, no smell of unburnt petrol, so obviously something temperature related, or maybe just no given it enough beans as roads have been quite slippy lately, plenty of leaves on the ground up the mountains, but on the whole, very pleasant upgrade, imho well worth the price.

Back
Top Bottom