R1200GS TE LC 2015 + a load of accesories - need a value before advertising

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesim1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I've struggled to get comfortable on my bike, and after 4 different seats and 3 different handle bar risers I'm calling time on the GS and looking at an alternative - quite possibly a K1600GTL between £10k and £13k. (so if you have a 2013 model onwards and want a px then PM me) I thought this was a keeper, so have been spending a small fortune on it over the past 9 month to get it where I wanted it to be as a great bike.

I could do with some advice on prices for the bike and whether it would be worth selling it with or without the accessories - my guess is without? I'll advertise it next week sometime when I get round to taking the pictures of it with the relevant items removed as I don't think I'll get enough back on them selling together, but your input would help me decide for definite.

The bike it's self will look mainly like this as it was before I started adding bits:
2017-08-31_18.53.27.jpg
2017-08-31_18.53.38.jpg

It's a March 2015 registered model with 19k miles and all the extra items the TE has like full electronic suspension and damping settings at the touch of a button for solo/passenger/luggage etc...- it has navigation prep, 5 mapping settings and a red plug you can use to get access to higher mapping setting which I think is exclusive to the TE? (I think they turn everything off electronically, and turn the power to max if you want to ride it old school?) Overall condition is very good with no damage, scratches or issues of any type, tyres are good and the front has done 3k and the back 2k since fitted. Also has full service history and MOT'd in march as well as having the fork recall done by BMW.

I was wanting a price for just the bike with no extras other than a brand new Givi screen and support I fitted 2 weeks ago, a set of grip puppies and a recent Hilltop map with graph/receipt etc. So it rides and rev's beautifully from way low down.

I also have the following accessories which can be sold individually or together with the bike, all are currently fitted but will come off in an afternoon if I do it:

Remus end can
Corbin duel seat
Two vario panniers
Vario top box and fitting plate
3 piece (new) aftermarket pannier liners for the luggage
Frame plugs
Wunderlich handlebar extenders roughly 1.5" up and back
Nav V sat nav unit with updated maps
Original BMW screen

So give us your views - sell as split, sell together, and if so, what kind of money? Or do I just trade it in after stripping it back to the basic bike?

Thanks - I really did not want to be doing this, but if I'm not comfortable on a 250 mile trip then I need to reconsider my options.

James

Split.. and can I have first dibs on some of your bits please :)

I know what you mean though.. we did 120 miles Thursday two up on ours... my backside hurt like hell, Mrs B was battered by the wind... I thought these things were long distance machines?...
did the screen help?... and the pull backs?... BTW, you want to take your head guards off also....

I paid £8300 for my 15 plate with 11K on it.. but.. its not ESA ;)

Just done a tad over 1,000 miles on mine to John O'Groats and back non stop and it was absolutely stonking. I used the cruise control, adjusted the suspension here and there, used the utility lighting through sea mist in Sutherland, and the bike gave me everything I wanted out of the ride and more. It floated round the bends when crotch rocket men in front of me were reaching for the brakes with puckering bums. The screen and hand guards took care of the thousands of bug splats that Scotland generously gives free of charge, with much or nothing on me apart from a bit of visor cleaning which is to be expected.

This bike is not voted it's class leader for nothing, it is a truly wonderful machine that asks you to thrash the bollocks out of it and comes back for more. Come on lads and man up! What's a bit of short term arse ache compared to all that fun.

I took virtually nack all with me apart from a spare pair of undies and socks, and who needs them anyway. I for one don't want to carry around a laundry basket behind me, I don't care if the weather ranges from 9 to 26 in a day, I don't care if petrol goes up 10p per litre, or goes down for that matter. I'm only coming this way once and I'm going to ride, ride, ride, .....sore arse or not.
Oh, and sorry for a bit of hi-jack of the thread, and glws.

Yes, I've had a sore arse, but I've had a blast through Scottish Lowland, Ducked around speed cameras on the A9. Squinted through Sea Mist in Sutherland, Glided along the shores of Loch Ness, Flicked to the front of every queue, without making a nuisance of myself. been in the company of some of the planets finest scenery in and around Glencoe, and chucked in the Bonny Bonny banks of Loch Lomond for good measure. Sorry for the tiny rant, but i thought i'd offer another point of view, for what it's worth.

Last edited:
'A' roads.. no problem... Sat still on the motorway for hours... Ouch!

Split them. You will get nothing for them attached to the bike.

On the comfort side I have a 17 plate Rallye and the standard seat killed me. I changed it for the bench seat and have no complaints with a recent 400 mile journey included.

Split.. and can I have first dibs on some of your bits please :)

Probably the way to go - I hadn't thought of the headers, so will add them to the list:beerjug:

Oh, and sorry for a bit of hi-jack of the thread, and glws.

No problem - I done 550 miles to Campbeltown and then to Kilmarnock last week - didn't really want to do more the next day - so I'm back up in Scotland tomorrow and bringing the bike back the last 220 miles as I had bought a car for my daughter while up there and now have to collect the bike as I drove the car home in time for her birthday. I had hoped the Corbin would make it a painless experience - but you can guess by the post it was not enough:blast

'A' roads.. no problem... Sat still on the motorway for hours... Ouch!

Yep, but should not be on a bike of this price, especially when I've tried lots of seats and bars - just could not get the mix right.

Split them. You will get nothing for them attached to the bike.

On the comfort side I have a 17 plate Rallye and the standard seat killed me. I changed it for the bench seat and have no complaints with a recent 400 mile journey included.

I'm glad your sorted - after 4 goes with seats I'm calling it a day, I had a Tourtech, Sargent, the original BMW and a Corbin seat all to no avail.

James

Put the bike back to standard. Sell the bits on here or eBay. Trade the GS in on a K1600 and take the finance offer. You will get a better deal that way than turning up with cash at the dealer. Pay the finance off before the 14 day cooling off period ends. Bobs your uncle.

Put the bike back to standard. Sell the bits on here or eBay. Trade the GS in on a K1600 and take the finance offer. You will get a better deal that way than turning up with cash at the dealer. Pay the finance off before the 14 day cooling off period ends. Bobs your uncle.

+1 on the above.

Your a bad man - I like you:bow

James

out of them all.. which seat did you find to be the best? (I'm not trowing the towel in just at the moment... my old 2010 TC GS was fine ??)

out of them all.. which seat did you find to be the best? (I'm not trowing the towel in just at the moment... my old 2010 TC GS was fine ??)

Good question - but unless your exactly like me with all the age related wear and folds to go with it the answer is probably not going to actually do you any good?

1. Corbin
2. Sargent
3. Tourtech
4. Original

They are probably priced in that order also. I had a corbin on my ZZR11 and it was the most comfortable seat I've ever owned - but that was years ago, a different bike, and a few stones lighter.

James

I can see your telling the truth judging by the amount of toilet paper you got stashed behind your bike:hide:banana
Sorry couldn't resist it.

Remove and meticulously clean the accessories and take well lit photographs. Dont advertise anything as ‘just needs a bit of a clean’ - if it does, do it. Sales will depend on two things - condition and price. Advertise the accessories on this site and be realistic in your expectations. No one pays over 50 - 70% of new price unless the item is collectible or rare. None of your accessories are either.

Put the bike back to standard and clean it to within an inch of its life. Then look at MCN, eBay, Autotrader and gather comparable prices for bikes similar to yours in specification, mileage, age and condition. This is a guide only, do the same with dealership used prices. Be prepared for a shock, the dealership prices are what they want to sell them for not what they will give you for yours: pcp means that there are thousands available.

Another indicator of achievable value can be found in the bikes for sale section on this site. One often sees immaculate examples that do not sell here because the owners love and cherish them and want to sell to some one who will do the same. The seller often can’t believe that others won’t pay a premium for their overpriced bike. GLWTS posts and ‘I wish I had seen this before...’ aren’t the same as money in the bank and seem delusional in that ‘ if he get that then there’s hope for my bike too.’

Decide if you want to trade it in or sell it privately: if the latter, adverts stating ‘first to see will buy’ are wishful thinking if your price is unrealistic - there won’t be a first to see. Accept from the start that no one values your bike as highly as you do.
If you are trading in, ring round at least half a dozen dealers, you will be amazed at the variation of prices that can be worked into a deal in order to make a sale. Haggle, then haggle some more, then nit pick and squeeze in things like free first service; free collection/delivery to your door. Play them off against each other.
GLWTS!
Alan R

Good question - but unless your exactly like me with all the age related wear and folds to go with it the answer is probably not going to actually do you any good?

1. Corbin
2. Sargent
3. Tourtech
4. Original

They are probably priced in that order also. I had a corbin on my ZZR11 and it was the most comfortable seat I've ever owned - but that was years ago, a different bike, and a few stones lighter.

James

last big tour we did was on a ZZR11... could ride that bike all day and with a big tank bag, you could rest on it as well.... great bikes:)

Remove and meticulously clean the accessories and take well lit photographs. Dont advertise anything as ‘just needs a bit of a clean’ - if it does, do it. Sales will depend on two things - condition and price. Advertise the accessories on this site and be realistic in your expectations. No one pays over 50 - 70% of new price unless the item is collectible or rare. None of your accessories are either.

Put the bike back to standard and clean it to within an inch of its life. Then look at MCN, eBay, Autotrader and gather comparable prices for bikes similar to yours in specification, mileage, age and condition. This is a guide only, do the same with dealership used prices. Be prepared for a shock, the dealership prices are what they want to sell them for not what they will give you for yours: pcp means that there are thousands available.

Another indicator of achievable value can be found in the bikes for sale section on this site. One often sees immaculate examples that do not sell here because the owners love and cherish them and want to sell to some one who will do the same. The seller often can’t believe that others won’t pay a premium for their overpriced bike. GLWTS posts and ‘I wish I had seen this before...’ aren’t the same as money in the bank and seem delusional in that ‘ if he get that then there’s hope for my bike too.’

Decide if you want to trade it in or sell it privately: if the latter, adverts stating ‘first to see will buy’ are wishful thinking if your price is unrealistic - there won’t be a first to see. Accept from the start that no one values your bike as highly as you do.
If you are trading in, ring round at least half a dozen dealers, you will be amazed at the variation of prices that can be worked into a deal in order to make a sale. Haggle, then haggle some more, then nit pick and squeeze in things like free first service; free collection/delivery to your door. Play them off against each other.
GLWTS!
Alan R

Thanks Alan

I was thinking this myself, just wanting to make sure I'm still on the game as it's a long time since I've sold a bike.

Thanks

James

In our neck of the woods I’ve found that Williams in Manchester seem to be more mailable with pricing than Bowkers in Preston or AJ’s in Shipley.
Alan R

In our neck of the woods I’ve found that Williams in Manchester seem to be more mailable with pricing than Bowkers in Preston or AJ’s in Shipley.
Alan R

Those 3 couldn't match the deal I got from Chester. Although I wouldn't take a bike there to let them work on for love nor money.

Hi Guys

I've struggled to get comfortable on my bike, and after 4 different seats and 3 different handle bar risers I'm calling time on the GS and looking at an alternative - quite possibly a K1600GTL between £10k and £13k. (so if you have a 2013 model onwards and want a px then PM me) I thought this was a keeper, so have been spending a small fortune on it over the past 9 month to get it where I wanted it to be as a great bike.

I could do with some advice on prices for the bike and whether it would be worth selling it with or without the accessories - my guess is without? I'll advertise it next week sometime when I get round to taking the pictures of it with the relevant items removed as I don't think I'll get enough back on them selling together, but your input would help me decide for definite.

The bike it's self will look mainly like this as it was before I started adding bits:
2017-08-31_18.53.27.jpg
2017-08-31_18.53.38.jpg

It's a March 2015 registered model with 19k miles and all the extra items the TE has like full electronic suspension and damping settings at the touch of a button for solo/passenger/luggage etc...- it has navigation prep, 5 mapping settings and a red plug you can use to get access to higher mapping setting which I think is exclusive to the TE? (I think they turn everything off electronically, and turn the power to max if you want to ride it old school?) Overall condition is very good with no damage, scratches or issues of any type, tyres are good and the front has done 3k and the back 2k since fitted. Also has full service history and MOT'd in march as well as having the fork recall done by BMW.

I was wanting a price for just the bike with no extras other than a brand new Givi screen and support I fitted 2 weeks ago, a set of grip puppies and a recent Hilltop map with graph/receipt etc. So it rides and rev's beautifully from way low down.

I also have the following accessories which can be sold individually or together with the bike, all are currently fitted but will come off in an afternoon if I do it:

Remus end can
Corbin duel seat
Two vario panniers
Vario top box and fitting plate
3 piece (new) aftermarket pannier liners for the luggage
Frame plugs
Wunderlich handlebar extenders roughly 1.5" up and back
Nav V sat nav unit with updated maps
Original BMW screen

So give us your views - sell as split, sell together, and if so, what kind of money? Or do I just trade it in after stripping it back to the basic bike?

Thanks - I really did not want to be doing this, but if I'm not comfortable on a 250 mile trip then I need to reconsider my options.

James

Sad news about your choice , I remember having similar issues , and I found that seamless underwear , leathers made a huge difference to the point of 300 to 400 mile days with no issues.
I agree that if you sit all day on motorways you will get a sore arse as your not moving around , but I would wager this is the same on most bikes. The K1600 is a big bike tho and if you thought the GS was a keeper you may find the 1600 a bit of an encompassing battleship . imho of course.

Have you tried the Cool Cover Seat as this is seems a modern twist on the air hawk but without the bulk.
The Gs is a comfortable bike and I feel your dismay with your experience , hope all works well for you .
See this link , may make a difference for £60....http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/482714-quot-Cool-Cover-quot-seat-covers

Yea - very disappointed, but after another 225 miles coming back from Scotland yesterday of which about 150 miles was motorway I'm definitely going to sell the GS. I just can't be bothered trying another version of sea or cover - I'm kind of past that now and looking for a new bike totally.

Thanks for the thought tough.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom