Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Garmin 396

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Now consider the sun moves across the sky, is rarely so bright that it hurts and as on average most riders will ride in any one day towards most if not all of the cardinal points on the compass...
    Garmin's screens are not great in the sun or even slightly overcast skies.
    396 is better than my previous 660 but it is still hard to read quite often when you glance down at it to see what exit you should take.
    I know they use different touch-screen technology, but the TomTom screens are way better to read (not to mention, the unit is way faster at redrawing the screen). Used them both this easter while traveling along the Pyrenees as my mate had a new TomTom and we switched bikes a couple of times.

We can make up as many stories and scenarios about it as we want, but the fact is that they still need a stronger backlight and different/better materials for the screen (front to prevent glare and bottom of it).

Not sure if I posted the video here before, but, 660 vs 396:

That wouldn't be great for me.
    Take what I said with a pinch of salt.
    I'm not 100% sure the battery was fully charged.
    I used it like that a couple of times only before wiring the bike. I noticed that battery life was way shorter than the 660 (but the 660 only had a single bluetooth channel, no wifi, etc.) but, again, battery might not have been 100% charged.
    R1150R '03 [on hiatus]
    R1200GS Adv '07
    HP2 Sport '11
    [I'm the biggest limit on my bike]

I’ve just jumped ship from Garmin to Tom Tom for a few reasons, but mostly for said crap screen in bright sunlight. So far, I’m impressed with the TT....time will tell if it’s been a wise decision.
    Why so serious ?

I’ve just ordered one from Amazon at Ł299.99 delivered tomorrow.

I’ve had my 390 for at least 5 years and the only reason I’m changing is to get live traffic updates though linking it to my Sena will be handy if I can get it to work.

I’m on my way home after 1k+ miles around England and Wales. Have to say, I’m happier with the TT now and glad I made the switch. It seems faster to process and accuracy is a tad better. There’s some features I miss, but overall, a happy experience.
    Why so serious ?

I’m on my way home after 1k+ miles around England and Wales. Have to say, I’m happier with the TT now and glad I made the switch. It seems faster to process and accuracy is a tad better. There’s some features I miss, but overall, a happy experience.
    Why so serious ?

New Member (less than 15 Posts)

Question Audiobook support?

I'm sure this will cue much eye-rolling - but can anyone tell me if the 396 supports audiobook playback?

My old Zumo 550 did; it stored the .aa files separately to the .mp3 files, so you had to select a different source on the media player, but it was very easy to use, and my pillion could hear the books easily using 'music sharing' on our Sena S20 bluetooth headsets.

I 'upgraded' to the BMW Nav 5 when I changed bikes and was put out to find I'd lost the native audiobook support. We can listen to mp3s and that's it. I haven't managed to get to hear media from my iPhone 7 reliably over bluetooth, so that's not an option.

Thanks for any advice, Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevepj View Post
    I'm sure this will cue much eye-rolling - but can anyone tell me if the 396 supports audiobook playback?

My old Zumo 550 did; it stored the .aa files separately to the .mp3 files, so you had to select a different source on the media player, but it was very easy to use, and my pillion could hear the books easily using 'music sharing' on our Sena S20 bluetooth headsets.

I 'upgraded' to the BMW Nav 5 when I changed bikes and was put out to find I'd lost the native audiobook support. We can listen to mp3s and that's it. I haven't managed to get to hear media from my iPhone 7 reliably over bluetooth, so that's not an option.

Thanks for any advice, Steve
    You can convert audio books to mp3 and listen that way

Quote Originally Posted by leedude03 View Post
    Be sure not to set your device to shuffle play.

I’m officially a happy Garmin customer now I’ve put the 396 on my 1290 GT, paired it to my phone and my Sena headset and I can now listen to podcasts but instead of fumbling around with the buttons on the crash helmet I can control it from the satnav once I’ve selected the podcast on Spotify.

Ok, it’s still a bit clunky but that’s almost certainly down to operator error rather than any of the devices. I’ll give it a proper try out on Monday when I take the bike to Gear 4 for a service. I’ll order a remote for the headset to make life even easier and that’s me ready for a tedious ride across Germany where I become so engrossed in listening to music that I forget the fact that my wife’s bike needs fuel a lot sooner than mine does

One thing that was a bit of a pain is that if you’re fitting a 396 to a KTM using the KTM factory mount it doesn’t fit unless you use spacers to hold the satnav cradle away from the bike mount that it fits on. The cradle for the 396 is rotated 1/4 turn compared to the 350/90 models and because the cable sticks straight out of the back of the cradle it fouls on the body of the bike mount. I used 4 M8 shouldered nuts as spacers and they moved it just about far enough forward for everything to go together but it’s still a bit tight.

New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    Quote Originally Posted by leedude03 View Post
    I've not found a converter that will reliably convert rights-protected aa / aax files - can you recommend one?
    steve

[QUOTE=stevepj;5426320]I've not found a converter that will reliably convert rights-protected aa / aax files - can you recommend one?
    steve[/QUOT

Sorry for the late reply only just seen this, i have used a few the one i found to be the most reliable was AudFree Audible Converter and runner up would be TunesKit Audible Converter, no i tunes account needed, hope this helps.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123