"Black cloud" over map image.

Peter

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have just returned from a 2600 mile trip to Germany. My Garmin Motorrad Nav 5 was running all the time. On some occasions a a thin "black cloud" would travel at random across the map image. Any one experienced this? I phoned Garmin UK who were helpful and said it could be that this might be due to the length of time the sat nav was connected and the fact that the weather was very hot. I was told to keep using it and if the fault persisted then they would help. Any thoughts or ideas?

I have noticed something like this in the past on my Nav V. First time was when I was in Dover: I thought the screen had developed a fault, but in fact it was equivalent to a dark cloud was showing on the map. As I drove down the coast, said cloud moved off the screen.

Have seen it happen a few other times, but I take no notice nowadays

I had that and found it was a map setting. I cannot remember the exact wording but it was something like "Show contours".
HTH

Got my Garmin out to check - I have a 595 so I assume it is much the same.

Look in - Settings - Map & vehicle - Map Layers - 3D Terrain. Switch the 3D terrain to off and that should solve it.

I think it shows shadows when in mountains. Mine does the same.

Thank you all for replies. Yorkie, I have now turned off 3D and will go and find some mountainous landscapes to see if the effect reappears, thanks. I am lucky to live in Scotland with mountains so close. Stever1 gave me an encouraging. comment.

Back
Top Bottom