Tom Tom Rider 550

Arsey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
New model and looks quite good

5f54d0e89d77780c6f2e49f35754fc3c.jpg

I’ve always had Garmins but when my 590 dies I might go the Tom Tom route......

Gotta admit, I've always used Garmin too but my next GPS will be a Tom Tom as well as I quite fancy having a 21st C GPS.

I'm not interested in all the coms stuff but when you see what GPS apps my iPhone will run and how well they work in the real world they make Garmin look positively stone age.

Andres

I sold my Nav 6 and got a TomTom 550, and it's bloody brilliant. So much faster than the Nav 6, and being able to do updates via WiFi is a great idea. Even if you're not near a computer, you can tether it to your iPhone and get updates while out on the road.

Having the option for hilly roads as well as winding roads is a great feature, and I've already found some new roads in areas that I normally ride (on purpose, before NT or Wapping chime in with their usual bollocks :dabone:D).

Fuck it. I've ordered a 550 from Motocard.Got the VAT off and another 10% so £279 delivered.
Will sell Garmin 590 with my 1290 .

I sold my Nav 6 and got a TomTom 550, and it's bloody brilliant. So much faster than the Nav 6, and being able to do updates via WiFi is a great idea. Even if you're not near a computer, you can tether it to your iPhone and get updates while out on the road.

Having the option for hilly roads as well as winding roads is a great feature, and I've already found some new roads in areas that I normally ride (on purpose, before NT or Wapping chime in with their usual bollocks :dabone:D).

Screen is much smaller than Nav6??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fuck it. I've ordered a 550 from Motocard.Got the VAT off and another 10% so £279 delivered.
Will sell Garmin 590 with my 1290 .

Interested to know how you get on with the new 550 Arsey. Where are you going to mount it, on your new ATAS, on the handle bar or over the instruments? Might be tempted myself, when the dealers get a little more competitive with the price.

Interested to know how you get on with the new 550 Arsey. Where are you going to mount it, on your new ATAS, on the handle bar or over the instruments? Might be tempted myself, when the dealers get a little more competitive with the price.

I'll let you know.
I've ordered a mount from SW Motech to mount on the cross bar above the instruments.Did a similar thing when I had old AT.

Screen is much smaller than Nav6??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not that much smaller, tbh. The way it displays the map/ images is better than the Garmin, so I’ve not had an issue with the slihtly smaller screen.

The 550 comes with a RAM mount kit, and also a mount to mount to the bars as standard. As to the competitive price, it’s loads cheaper than a comparable Garmin, and much better to use. Motolegends will match FC Motos price. :thumb

Yeah, please do as I've defo decided that my Garmin is gone..............

Andres

Don't hold your breath though !!

I'm taking the 1290 to Spain at the end of the month but will be using the Garmin 590 as no point mounting the new Tom Tom,as I'm selling the bike as soon as I'm back.(Would like to take ATAS but no time to run it in/get pannier frames which are still in production)
Unless plans change, first trip away using Tom Tom won't be till September when I'm back in Spain/Portugal on the H2 SX. I wonder if the Tom Tom has an Avoid att function ?? :aidan

Actually £314 Mike ;) Anyway, cheers, I've ordered, thrown off the Garmin shackles and am looking forward to a nice, quick, intuitive GPS at last :)

Andres

Mine came out at £319 after they'd adjusted German to UK VAT - it originally came out at £314, but changed at checkout...

Mine came out at £319 after they'd adjusted German to UK VAT - it originally came out at £314, but changed at checkout...

Mine arrived today, invoice for £316.99 :D Go figure..........

Anyway, I'm not going to have a chance to use it on the bike for a couple of weeks as I'll be away on the bike and don't have time to sort it BUT I have had a general play with the functions and set up and my god it's a world apart from Garmin.

So much more intuitive. So much clearer and easy to use. So much faster to carry out commands and just.........well........how I want a GPS to be. If the routing/mapping is as good I'll be very happy and only wish I'd moved away from Garmin ages ago :beerjug:

Andres

Back
Top Bottom