75th D-Day Anniversary June 1st-8th 2019

Hi Chris,

Sorry, as you may have guessed the site is now full for both chalet and camping accomadation, it may be worth contacting the site and see if there are any cancelations, also looking a bit further afield for othere accommadation, you could also join us in the bar in the evenings!

Mark.

we will be sailing over on june 2nd, on the night crossing and arriving approx. 7am in the TOO early morning. So weather permitting etc, we`ve decided to have a ride over to Mont ST Michael, as its probably too early to get in our cabin. Distance is about 90mls, so its breaky on the boat then off for most of the day. if anyone is interested let me know. check out the web page for info on the newish bridge to the island, bike parking(payable) and all other stuff. we`re also having the day before we sail mooching about in the Navel dockyards . so see you all later on the 3rd if all goes to plan:thumb2

Is it too late to join in now? Cheers Mark
Chris.

Try this one; Camping des Capucines on the outskirts of Caen. It's about 1k from the Pegasus Bridge and not far from the airport
if you've got tickets for the Daks. It's very basic compared to where Mark and Co will by lording it, but hey its somewhere to pitch
a tent and have a beer.
Will be there from 6th to 8th before meandering down to Spain for another beer.

Well time flies and an a few weeks we will be there! at last count we have 66 going, and the site is fully booked for both chalets and camping.

Looking forward to this one, the 75th is looking to be a big commemoration and theres lots going on there will be a information on trips organised in the bar when you arrive.

Post up here any trips you plan whilst there sure others will be interested.

Safe travel, look forward to seeing you all there!

Mark.

The first must see event for me will be the Dakota’s dropping parachutists at Sannerville, just east of Caen on the 5th :cool:

https://www.daksovernormandy.com/program/

I'll be watching this on the 7th. But for me the parachute jump will be a little disappointing because it's a free fall team.
It would have been more authentic to see planes full of Paras bailing out at a lower level using military chutes. IMHO.
Still looking forward to it though.:beerjug:

I'll be watching this on the 7th. But for me the parachute jump will be a little disappointing because it's a free fall team.
It would have been more authentic to see planes full of Paras bailing out at a lower level using military chutes. IMHO.
Still looking forward to it though.:beerjug:

It’s WW2 uniforms and round chutes according to the Daks Over Normandy website :nenau

On 5 June 2019 we will follow into the footsteps of the Greatest Generation! About 250 men and women will board the aircraft in the United Kingdom to, exactly like 75 years before, fly across the English Channel and to jump into the historic drop zones of Normandy. They will be wearing WWII style Allied uniforms and will jump military round parachutes. It will be an event which has no equal. History in the making. Again! Just like in 1944.

It’s WW2 uniforms and round chutes according to the Daks Over Normandy website :nenau

On 5 June 2019 we will follow into the footsteps of the Greatest Generation! About 250 men and women will board the aircraft in the United Kingdom to, exactly like 75 years before, fly across the English Channel and to jump into the historic drop zones of Normandy. They will be wearing WWII style Allied uniforms and will jump military round parachutes. It will be an event which has no equal. History in the making. Again! Just like in 1944.

we`re going to try and find a good vantage point for this, west(ish) of the drop zone with the sun sort of behind us on the 5th, according to the web site about 4.30pm French time (approx.).anybody any ideas?. Also be aware Prez Trump is reportedly making an appearance to the American areas on the 6th and security is said to be very high with some road disruptions.

we`re going to try and find a good vantage point for this, west(ish) of the drop zone with the sun sort of behind us on the 5th, according to the web site about 4.30pm French time (approx.).anybody any ideas?. Also be aware Prez Trump is reportedly making an appearance to the American areas on the 6th and security is said to be very high with some road disruptions.

My ferry arrives at 8.00am in Le Harve on the 6th, then I've got 60 miles to Caen. Should be fun.:blast
I should just about be in time for Daks Over Normandy at Caen Airport on the 7th.:D

Here is a draft of the information poster that will be up in the Bar at "Camp du Nacre"

Please take note of the events to help you plan your stay (Copy-paste-print)

BMW Group Activities and notable events

Welcome to Camp Du Nacre from the BMW Club (East Anglia Section)

Contact & Organiser is Mark Handley

Chalet Number (…) Green R1100RT

Organised Events

Tuesday 4th June morning trip to Arromanches

9:30 am for 10am Departure
Meeting David Hasell of Reiten Motorrad (Suffolk) with his genuine WW2 Jeep, some rides on beach possible
Look round Arromanches and museums make your own way back to Camp du Nacre.

Wednesday 5th June Parachute Drop

Leave Camp Du Nacre at 2:00 sharp with sufficient fuel (30 mile round trip)

At 3:00pm (local time) members of the British Army’s 16 Air Assault Brigade will drop over Sannerville, Normandy from RAF Hercules aircraft and the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight’s C-47 Dakota. They will jump along with French Army paratroopers to recreate the famous airborne landings.

Daks over Normandy 30 plus aircraft Parachute Drop at 16.20 Le Havre Flypast
16.30 Sannerville Drop zone ‘K’
16.30 – 17.00 Daks over Normandy Jump program Sannerville Drop zone ‘K’
Return to Camp Du Nacre

Friday 7th June Caen-Carpiquet Airport

Camp du Nacre 08:30 am for 9am Departure

10.00 Official Opening
10.30 Take-off Dakota Formation Flight
11.00 – 12.00 Morning Flight program
* Dakota Formation Demo
* Parachute jump Free fall Team
* Flight Demo C-53 LN-WND

11.30 Landing Dakota Formation Flight
14.00 Take-off Dakota Formation Flight
14.30 – 15.30 Morning Flight program
* Dakota Formation Demo
* Parachute jump Free fall Team
* Flight Demo C-53 LN-WND

15.30 Landing Dakota Formation Flight
All day Air market, vendors, food trucks
All day Scenic DC-3 Flights
All day Preparations and take-off Paras

Travel restrictions

Gov. Com have been given info for travel restrictions inside the 75th D-day area by the French on the 6th, I haven't read it yet but please be aware, apparently if you are already in a "zone" it's OK but if you wish to travel in or out you will need a "sticker". We're finding a bar and waiting for the fireworks. Have fun. 😊

Gov. Com have been given info for travel restrictions inside the 75th D-day area by the French on the 6th, I haven't read it yet but please be aware, apparently if you are already in a "zone" it's OK but if you wish to travel in or out you will need a "sticker". We're finding a bar and waiting for the fireworks. Have fun. ��

I've just been on the D-day 75 anniversary site, it directs you to a downloadable pdf file showing the permit procedure via prefectures/town halls for June 6th and a map of the traffic zones affected.

http://www.dday-anniversary.com/

On YouTube check out the song The Shores of Normandy, sung by Jim Radford who was a 15yr old galley boy and went over on a ship to help build the Mulberry harbours. Very haunting.

My ferry arrives at 8.00am in Le Harve on the 6th, then I've got 60 miles to Caen. Should be fun.:blast
I should just about be in time for Daks Over Normandy at Caen Airport on the 7th.:D

Now changed booking. Sailing on the 4th.:)

Back
Top Bottom