Sena - 20s -apparently also the SRL (for Neotec 2)

Slipperyeel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm seriously thinking about getting the Neotec 2 along with the sena dedicated intercom (SRL). From what I've read, it seems to be the 20S re-packaged.

What do people think of the Sena 20S? Anyone already using the SRL set up in the Neotec 2?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Yes, I currently own a Sena SRL and a Neotec 2. at the moment I think if you want an easy install. it's good. However, the SRL is not a patch on an actual 20S. Why not(things to consider):
Sound volume level is much lower I can't wear earplugs and communicate whereas I could with the S20
The range between s20 to s20 is twice the range of S20 to SRL... BAD
you can't use moulded communication earplugs as there is no socket on the SRL, there is on an S20
Lastly, you can't communicate and charge an SRL at the same time. You can with an S20.

Pro's When in communication range I'm informed the sound is better.

IS the S20 any good. I've used them since they first came out. great range. nice clear communications, easy to setup and control from the headset (jog dial wheel is superb) lots of features I've never used. Any Questions ask and I'll try and answer them.

Yes, I currently own a Sena SRL and a Neotec 2. at the moment I think if you want an easy install. it's good. However, the SRL is not a patch on an actual 20S. Why not(things to consider):
Sound volume level is much lower I can't wear earplugs and communicate whereas I could with the S20
The range between s20 to s20 is twice the range of S20 to SRL... BAD
you can't use moulded communication earplugs as there is no socket on the SRL, there is on an S20
Lastly, you can't communicate and charge an SRL at the same time. You can with an S20.

Pro's When in communication range I'm informed the sound is better.

IS the S20 any good. I've used them since they first came out. great range. nice clear communications, easy to setup and control from the headset (jog dial wheel is superb) lots of features I've never used. Any Questions ask and I'll try and answer them.
Thanks for the feedback. Very useful. I'm a bit concerned you think the volume is on the low side, but I don't wear ear plugs, so maybe I'll find it ok. I've read that the earphone recesses are repositioned compared to the original Neotec - apparently to get better alignment with the ear? How far back are your ears? ;-)

I've read the same comment on the WebBikeWorld review. So I'm now unsure..

The alternative is I but the interphone Tour and the dedicated headphone/mic for the shoei. .. but that's all a tad shy of 300 quid. I like the integration of the SRL - so now I'm wondering if i could change the headphones on the SRL?

You've got me thinking!

If I was buying the SRL again for the Neotec I'd look at the Pac Talk, better audio multitasking, the Sena only works in Intercom mode and riding with anyone else with a Sena in intercom mode any speed above 30 and there's too much wind noise.
Just my 2p worth

20S

Hi like Triton I have had the 20s from nearly conception, excellent kit but I use ear buds, combination of poor hearing and desire for quite riding, with that combo can hear perfect music at 80 mph that should tell all.
So wanted Neotec 2 but SRL no good for me so thanks to a guy on this parish also in same boat you can fit 20s to the Helmet, bit of a faf but results are perfect, great Helmet much quieter so with SENA 20 perfict

If I was buying the SRL again for the Neotec I'd look at the Pac Talk, better audio multitasking, the Sena only works in Intercom mode and riding with anyone else with a Sena in intercom mode any speed above 30 and there's too much wind noise.
Just my 2p worth
I had to look at what Pac Talk was, but now I know. Thanks for that :). Definitely looks good.

But some of this defeats the beauty of the tailor made set up... No?

I've never had a Sena intercom, but seem to hear only good, until now that is :) I just can't believe anything less than the best they had to offer wouldn't have been used? I mean, would you want to fit less into your 550 quid new helmet? !

Hi like Triton I have had the 20s from nearly conception, excellent kit but I use ear buds, combination of poor hearing and desire for quite riding, with that combo can hear perfect music at 80 mph that should tell all.
So wanted Neotec 2 but SRL no good for me so thanks to a guy on this parish also in same boat you can fit 20s to the Helmet, bit of a faf but results are perfect, great Helmet much quieter so with SENA 20 perfict

Did he use the sticky mount?

Hi

I have previously used a cardo scala G9 on a BMW system 6 helmet and have just changed to the Neotec 2 and SRL. I find the SRL better quality sound than the G9 and plenty of volume.
I use SRL paired to NAV 5 and S7 phone also paired to Nav5. You need to use the Audio Mixer on the NAV5 to equalise various audio sources eg phone Navigation and music.

On NAV 5 select audio, (it tells you no adjustment use bluetooth headset controls,) but press the Spanner symbol and the audio mixer shows.

Maybe some people with low volumes have the settings for the audio mixer set very low?

ian

I had to look at what Pac Talk was, but now I know. Thanks for that :). Definitely looks good.

But some of this defeats the beauty of the tailor made set up... No?

I've never had a Sena intercom, but seem to hear only good, until now that is :) I just can't believe anything less than the best they had to offer wouldn't have been used? I mean, would you want to fit less into your 550 quid new helmet? !

Does it defeat the beauty of a tailor made setup?
If it’s aesthetics your worried about then it perfect.
If it’s delivering value in the form of clear communication music and intercom. IMHO then there are better solutions but they don’t look as nice.

Oh but it’s integrated there’s less noise cause there’s nothing sticking out the side of the helmet, well I don’t hear the noise from the 20s with earplugs or custom audio plugs And I can still communicate clearly up to 130mph on the autobahn!!

Forget that with the srl no noise from external protruding intercoms, it’s got well positioned speakers that fit close to your ears, but you won’t hear anything unless you wear no ear protection, then even with the volume at max you won’t hear anything at 130mph cause of the wind noise.. still if you want to hear it will improve your mpg cause you need to go slower 😎 and don’t let any other riders out of sight or the comms has gone!

I’d love to know why the range is so crap given it’s a 20s inside... perhaps it’s something to do with the install in my helmet I don’t know. I could hack the srl to allow me to use my audio earplugs. But then the range and charging are not as rich as the 20s or other solutions. I’d be keen to see a 20s fitted to the helmet. So I can decide if I want to sell the srl. And go back to the 20s. Or perhaps move to another manufacturer.

In the end the value in any of these comes down to where you see value.
You pays your money you takes your chances. Good luck on your choice.

Well, actually yes, the aesthetics do play a part. But like you, I want the damned thing to work as well. I have never actually used my intercom as a bike to bike system and can't see that changing. Only for my phone and satnav, occasionally to a passenger.

But I hear what you're saying - no pun intended- I'm just disappointed. I'm still stuck with this thought of "can it be that bad?".

I think I need to try this set up before buying. There's too much money involved to discover the latest set up is worse than my 6yr old FMC5 from Interphone!

Does it defeat the beauty of a tailor made setup?
If it’s aesthetics your worried about then it perfect.
If it’s delivering value in the form of clear communication music and intercom. IMHO then there are better solutions but they don’t look as nice.

Oh but it’s integrated there’s less noise cause there’s nothing sticking out the side of the helmet, well I don’t hear the noise from the 20s with earplugs or custom audio plugs And I can still communicate clearly up to 130mph on the autobahn!!

Forget that with the srl no noise from external protruding intercoms, it’s got well positioned speakers that fit close to your ears, but you won’t hear anything unless you wear no ear protection, then even with the volume at max you won’t hear anything at 130mph cause of the wind noise.. still if you want to hear it will improve your mpg cause you need to go slower and don’t let any other riders out of sight or the comms has gone!

I’d love to know why the range is so crap given it’s a 20s inside... perhaps it’s something to do with the install in my helmet I don’t know. I could hack the srl to allow me to use my audio earplugs. But then the range and charging are not as rich as the 20s or other solutions. I’d be keen to see a 20s fitted to the helmet. So I can decide if I want to sell the srl. And go back to the 20s. Or perhaps move to another manufacturer.

In the end the value in any of these comes down to where you see value.
You pays your money you takes your chances. Good luck on your choice.

Hi

I have previously used a cardo scala G9 on a BMW system 6 helmet and have just changed to the Neotec 2 and SRL. I find the SRL better quality sound than the G9 and plenty of volume.
I use SRL paired to NAV 5 and S7 phone also paired to Nav5. You need to use the Audio Mixer on the NAV5 to equalise various audio sources eg phone Navigation and music.

On NAV 5 select audio, (it tells you no adjustment use bluetooth headset controls,) but press the Spanner symbol and the audio mixer shows.

Maybe some people with low volumes have the settings for the audio mixer set very low?

ian
Thanks for this. I'm interested in your comments ref settings for the sound. I have a Zumo 595,not sure if that offers similar detail for the audio set up. But you've reassured me a little on the volume side of things. While I don't want it 'that' loud as it becomes irritating, I would like to have the option for it to be a tad too loud to compensate for varying audio volumes/sources.

My existing FMC5 is struggling to hold or find radio channels. It chimes out of connection with things. I'm not sure what's up with it, but I'm ready for a change.

Another detail that attracted me to the SRL was being able to use an app to set it up and make adjustments. Additionally the voice commands. But maybe other units offer the same?

Thanks for this. I'm interested in your comments ref settings for the sound. I have a Zumo 595,not sure if that offers similar detail for the audio set up. But you've reassured me a little on the volume side of things. While I don't want it 'that' loud as it becomes irritating, I would like to have the option for it to be a tad too loud to compensate for varying audio volumes/sources.

My existing FMC5 is struggling to hold or find radio channels. It chimes out of connection with things. I'm not sure what's up with it, but I'm ready for a change.

Another detail that attracted me to the SRL was being able to use an app to set it up and make adjustments. Additionally the voice commands. But maybe other units offer the same?

Hi

I tried the SRL on the motorway yesterday and the volume for music, navigation and phone was loud and very clear. I wasn't on full volume and I haven't turned the audio boost function available in the ap on. I'm very happy with it and the fit into the helmet is very good.

The voice commands worked really well even at motorway speeds much better than my G9.

Ian

I have got a srl and find that i have difficulty hearing sena responce to voice commands is there a way of increasing this volume

I have got a srl and find that i have difficulty hearing sena responce to voice commands is there a way of increasing this volume

That is my only problem with the SRL. I haven't found a way of increasing this volume, otherwise all works well for me.

Ian

Hi

ian

Not a fair comparison, the G9 was 8 year old technology. I had a G9, the Packtalk is streets ahead and a different offering entirely.

Not a fair comparison, the G9 was 8 year old technology. I had a G9, the Packtalk is streets ahead and a different offering entirely.

Not exactly a comparison with the G9! I was just saying that the SRL had plenty of volume and was better than the G9 that it replaced. I would have been disappointed if it hadn't been in improvement over the G9.

Although it's not terribly clear from their website, SENA have produced the SRL2 for Neotec 2 made after March 2019 which addresses a few of the SRL issues mentioned by the OP. In most places it says it is for the GT AIR 2 but it also does Neotec 2 2019.

Back
Top Bottom