Hog Raost Fords Route

Fanum

Toubab
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
9 Fords, and some real gems hopefully.....a couple of longer ones including the longest one I've ever included on a proper ride (apart from flooded roads ;) )....Droxford is shallow and easy but it's 183 mtres long :D

The list is;

1 sarson
2 goodworth clatford
3 houghton
4 broughton
5 dandy's ford
6 droxford 183 mtrs
7 exton
8 tichbourne
9 longparish

Subject to a recce which I'll be doing on Friday.

(and if anyone's coming down then, you're more than welcome to come out and do the recce ride with me..just let me know here ;) )

The route is blelow and I'll post the .gdb file in a second......

Attachments

• hoggy-fords.gif
    hoggy-fords.gif
    36.9 KB · Views: 245
It's 96 miles and should be suitable for Tourances......first timer fordees more than welcome and there will be ways around the fords if anyone doesn't like the looks of one.

We'll be leaving the Hog Raost site at around 10.30 and there will be a pub lunch somewhere en-route.

There's another thread in this section with pictures of the fords and more details can be found on Lee Chapman's superb Wetroads site HERE

An idea of numbers would be useful please...I'm hoping for a max of about 14 bikes and if there are more wanting to do it I'll sort out another leader to run the same route in reverse (volunteers from the usual suspects?)

I'll also be doing a pre-ride safety spiel before we go and we'll be following the drop-off system all the way round, so keep your ears open at the briefing so you know who's the back marker and how to use the system if you haven't done it before.

Attachments

• hograost fords.gdb
    63 KB · Views: 134
If you're passing through Goodworth Clatford ford suggest you ride with pannier lids off and nets out - there's a plentiful supply of rather large trout that congregate just the ford side of the footbridge.

Tight Lines :)

BarcodeMan said:
If you're passing through Goodworth Clatford ford suggest you ride with pannier lids off and nets out - there's a plentiful supply of rather large trout that congregate just the ford side of the footbridge.

Nets??

Naa, we're wellard GSer's....we'll be using spears :D

Clatford Ford

BarcodeMan said:

I live just up the road from the Clatford Ford, thought never even crossed my mind that the Sheep Dip, as the locals call it, was crossable.

Can't wait for the next Parish newsletter - village invaded by hells angels wearing snorkels - fantastic.

If you want some really wild offroad, get a local to take you up the "Plannies".

Re: Clatford Ford

Burdocks said:

If you want some really wild offroad, get a local to take you up the "Plannies".

i went up there on my DRZ the weekend before my holiday :) the chalk was a bit slippy under my trailwings but it was great fun ,last time i been up there was on my DT175 :) and mountain bike before that!!!

you should see me on the "great white and the big dipper"

Re: Clatford Ford

Burdocks said:
I live just up the road from the Clatford Ford, thought never even crossed my mind that the Sheep Dip, as the locals call it, was crossable.

Can't wait for the next Parish newsletter - village invaded by hells angels wearing snorkels - fantastic.

Only done the "Plannies" by mountain bike and agree Sheep Dip could be quite a challenge. Drink at the Royal Oak most Fridays if you fancy collecting a further sponsorship contribution to your charity ride.

Bill:

Hope the attached pic taken at 19.30 today whets your appetite...

:beerjug:

Attachments

• goodworth_ford.jpg
    goodworth_ford.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 181
Oh yeah :D

That's going to be a good piccy place ........we'll stick the video up on the screen at some point at the campsite too :D

Clicked on Fanum’s link hograost fords.gdb but when I try to open the file it says Invalid menu handle. Any ideas why this is happening :confused:

jinkxy said:
Clicked on Fanum’s link hograost fords.gdb but when I try to open the file it says Invalid menu handle. Any ideas why this is happening :confused:

What version of mapsource are you running?

Older versions use a different format...that was produced from a v6.6.2.

I can save it as the old format if you need it done :)

Hi Guys

Count me in for the splash ride only done 2 fords so far, so looking forward to some more.

Chalkster

:)

Fanum that would be great if it’s not to much bother. As I’m running mapsource V6.:beerjug:

Hi Fannum

As SWMBO's not coming down with me now, count me in for the fords ride if tere's still space please.....:beerjug:

BAKERMAN said:
IT`s limited to 10 in the ford at once

With the combination of 18"+ of water and large chunks of masonry on the bottom I suspect that's a strong possibility...;)

Back
Top Bottom