Super Ten, electronic suspenders vs. conventional

longdog

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have an itch I really need to scratch, I have always liked the Super Ten and although I have had a couple of close calls, I have never bought one. Now I have a choice between a 2015 model with conventional suspension and a 2015 model with the electronically adjustable suspension.

I'd like to use your experiences of the pros and cons to help me make up my mind, both bikes are low mileage and are mint. Now I shall sit back, pour a large single malt and wait the fruits of your collective experiences and opinions! Thanks in advance and be prepared for questions later. :beerjug:

I wait with interest to see the "sensible" replies.
I also have a liking for the S10. And have a couple of near misses.
I don't take pillions or lots of luggage so basic suspension wouldn't bother me,never ridden the electric shock bike.
I found it very comfortable and capable,so why don't they sell?? To expensive? Shite colours,Matt black :barf.

You buy the electric suspension one then tell me about the basic one :D

The Tenere with the electronically adjustable suspension comes as part of a package. Along with that you also get cruise control and heated grips. I have the version with the electronic adjustment and am very pleased. I had 4 GS Adventures before the Yamaha so find the lack of issues and recalls very refreshing. I would go with the electronic suspension personally but it takes a while to get your settings dialled in (84 settings).
Being 6 foot I had to get bar risers and a different seat to aid comfort but now its a great bike.
Best of luck with your decision.

I bought a 2016 non ES and I really should have bought the ES, cruise is standard but pillion handles, centre stand, heated grips, top box rack are all extras, I added all of these which took the one cost to almost the price of the ES. That said I rarely take a pillion and don't touch my suspension so happy days.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I can’t comment on the ES system on the S10 suffice to say it’s a very underrated RELIABLE adventure bike. The only thing I would say is beware the Yamaha luggage system.
I bought a brand new 2013 S10 with luggage and ended up having spare blank keys cut just for the luggage, as it kept bending the keys, not the best.

I can’t comment on the ES system on the S10 suffice to say it’s a very underrated RELIABLE adventure bike. The only thing I would say is beware the Yamaha luggage system.
I bought a brand new 2013 S10 with luggage and ended up having spare blank keys cut just for the luggage, as it kept bending the keys, not the best.

I had a 2010 Super Ten - I initially found the locks stiff - all you need to do is press down on the lid to counteract the spring loaded mechanism.

Hard question to answer.

I’ve had a first gen one that I loved and looked at a new 2nd gen one when i ended up buying a GSA.

I wasn’t interested in the electronic suspension really - in fact on my first gen model I replaced the spring with a hyper pro unit which really helped the bike so I was worried that the electronic suspension might be soft and non-upgradable.

But as mentioned above - it’s the other stuff that you don’t get on the non-es one like cruise control, centre stand and yes pillion grab rails (and I think the top box mount)

If you look at a non es and the. Price those bits up, you’re probably back to the price of the es model!

On the luggage note - the locks aren’t great but a “KW3” key blank will give you a shorter more usable luggage key (the ignition key is only use for the first 3rd in the luggage)and while the luggage isn’t the largest, it has to be said that it looks fantastic on the bike. Properly proportioned and a with a very neat fitting mechanism.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I run a 2014 S10 ES, as well as a few others. I tried the Gen1 at launch & didn't really gel with it, but the Gen2 with ES was just perfect for us - loads of adjustment at the touch of a button.

For luggage, we went with Givi, which covers us on 2 other bikes too. Anyway SWMBO didn't get on with the Yamaha luggage which intruded on her leg space. So it was PLR2119 side racks & an Alt Rider rear plate for the Givi Top box (gives the pillion a little more room than the Givi).

Riding impressions - well some find the low end fuelling jerky. Ours is pretty smooth, just gets lost occasionally, but dip the clutch & clear it's throat & it settles. Otherwise go to Hilltop. No handling issues, sweet & compliant on back roads. Power - well I reckon it's enough, but I know some crave 130 bhp plus. It will top 120mph on the Autobahn fully loaded & thread it's way up any mountain pass with ease. I haven't taken it off road seriously, just the odd fire road but Nick Sanders has proven it's credentials.

Having said all that, you don't see many on the roads in the UK. Crazy, but early marketing was poor, with demo rides difficult to find & looks.........well make your own mind up. Then along came KTM upgrading their Adventure range to take on the already established GS & the poor old S10 shrunk into the background.

Anyway, if interested, have a look at the forum ... www.yamahasupertenere.com Then see if you can find yourself a test ride.

I had a Gen1 and did well over 20k on it with no issuses at all ( unlike the 1200GS )
I replaced it with a Gen 2 that came up with only 300 miles on it for a good deal on mine in PX
It was not from a Yam dealer so i removed the centre stand and grab handles from mine before i PXed it and they never said a word
The Gen 2 is a much better bike IMHO and is very underrated
Once the suspension is dialed in i never adjust it again

As a footnote on the luggage front my wife also found it uncomfortable, especially the “ammunition” box style top box.

I bought a mint one from Bryn of this parish ALL the bells and whistles.
Even Hilltopped this one ,,,,,,,,,,, I did a few months some rallies camping etc
Quite capable but soul less thing that I did not enjoy riding , sold it on quite quickly.
Even with Mitas dual sport rubber it as touching the pegs down , I found it way way les capable as riding machine than my 13 twincam ( which I had kept :thumb2)

Some interesting comments, I won’t be taking a pillion but I will be touring. One interesting thing is that some have had a Super Ten but found it soul-less, but others appear to have found it has character of it’s own. I want something to replace my Versys 1000 but with the same level of comfort, reliability and dependability as the Kawasaki but with a shaft drive, the Super Ten seems to have it all. Plus I prefer twins, (who doesn’t, wink, wink!), but the Kawasaki Versys is the best multi that I have ever ridden.

PS

Got non ES S10 handles better than my ESA GS on the road, feels more nimble. only adjustment was to front suspension, reduced pre load so bike turns in a little quicker.
People are saying it has no soul! so your bikes with electronics handling your braking, throttle input and suspension have soul BOLLOCKS. if you want soul get a Meriden Bonnie :rob

Last edited:
Some interesting comments, I won’t be taking a pillion but I will be touring. One interesting thing is that some have had a Super Ten but found it soul-less, but others appear to have found it has character of it’s own. I want something to replace my Versys 1000 but with the same level of comfort, reliability and dependability as the Kawasaki but with a shaft drive, the Super Ten seems to have it all. Plus I prefer twins, (who doesn’t, wink, wink!), but the Kawasaki Versys is the best multi that I have ever ridden.

Strange; that's the same journey I took back in 2014.

We had a 2012 V1K, with 3 piece luggage. Peach of a motor, braking a bit average, early models touched with the ugly stick, but good value for money given it's versatility. However, we did a couple of tours on the beast. Great in transit, but a handfull in the Alps/Dolomites - I reckon the CoG is too far back, amplified when 2-up, making that front end scary at times. It was just wheelies everywhere & horrible front end drift in the hairpins even without the luggage. We thought about a suspension upgrade, which might improve things, but couldn't justify the cost TBH.

After the Versys, the Super10 feels so well planted. No more budget suspension with the ES. Loads of adjustment, which covers most situations, unless you are a particularly heavy rider. Yes, it hasn't got the instantaneous performance of a sporty in-line 4, but it has it's own character that you will get to understand given a little time. Sick it in Sport mode, TC on 1 & it goes pretty well. We were able to keep pace with GSLCs in the mountains, other than the brave few who were indulging in blind RH bend overtakes, but we soon caught them up with traffic et al. We always check out the market & take test rides when anything new comes along, but nothing has caught my eye so far - Yamaha have been trying hard with the Tracer900GT, but the quality just isn't there IMHO.

Anyway, just get a test ride, when you can & see if it suits your style of riding.

Thought about one earlier this year, there were some deals on new 2017 euro 4 models, only problem for me was they were all in the hideous matt black.
Pity, they used to do some nice colours.

Finally got a test ride on a Super Ten today! It was the model without the electronic suspension and, to be honest, I am wondering if I actually need electronic suspension as I ride solo or solo with luggage when I tour.

The suspension set-up as I rode it was quite firm, but obviously it is adjustable, but it was fine. It had a nice, open riding position with loads of room for my legs. Controls “fell nicely to hand” as they used to say and performance was never lacking. The cruise control was a nice touch and I think it will be a god-send because as some of the older members on here will know, I lost my right thumb in 2005 and had to modify the R1150GS that I owned at the time.

Anyway, the Super Ten felt really good during the 90 minutes that I enjoyed on it, a bit like a properly screwed together GS with conventional front end. It also has very good brakes too! The seat was comfy for me and my skinny ar$e and more importantly, it always lets you know that you are riding a twin!

Am interested in where you got a test ride.
Am split between one of these or a twin cam gs.
How did you find the handling and weight compared with a GS?
Thanks.

Hi, it handled very well indeed, I was surprised just how "planted" it felt through corners and it held it's line very solidly and securely. As for weight, I'm trying to describe it while not being drawn into moto-journalistic cliches, but I can honestly say at no point whatsoever was I aware of excessive weight or bulk which suggests to me that it is a very well balanced motorcycle.

The dealer that gave me the test ride does not have a demo-bike so I would suggest you take a look at Autotrader and /or MCN for s dealer near you and try and get the keys off them for a test ride, I don't think you will be disappointed!

Back
Top Bottom