Struggling to transfer to BMW Nav V

Jesim1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've recently found the Motogoloco web site and though it looked quite easy to use?

Although I've got the Garmin express software downloaded and used it to update basecamp with my Nav V, this does not seem to be the same software to identify my sat nav on MGL?

I've created a rout on MGL and tried to download it in to my connected device - but the MGL page dose not detect it when I click on "Garmin" and the "find devices" box is greyed out.

I've then tried to download the communications software it prompts you to download and it just takes me to the Garmin site - no idea what I'm looking for or where it is, but I did try the obvious like using the search function - nothing!

I also tried downloading it as a GPX file(?) - just straight lines, so no joy there either.

It surely cannot be this difficult? :blast

All I want to do is transfer a route to my sat nave from MGL but it just does not detect my device and I don't seem to be able to locate any software download to do this - anyone got a way to do this?

Thanks

This is a common problem when none garmin software is used with garmin units, your transfering of routes to the device from within motogoloco i can not help with, the other problem of straight lines is caused by not recalculating the route with mapsource or basecamp, but before doing that ensure you have enough way or via points along the route when you create it in motogoloco and then check it after you have done the recalculation to make sure its how you want it.
Or you could just use basecamp or mapsource,

Pity this as I found MGL easy to use, far easier than base camp, but if I can't transfer the data then I'm wasting my time?

James

Pity this as I found MGL easy to use, far easier than base camp, but if I can't transfer the data then I'm wasting my time?

James

I did not say you could not transfer the data, its a good while since i used that site and can not remember if you can or cant transfer directly to the unit, but if you do it by saving as a gpx and then use basecamp or mapsource to recalculate the route it should be no issue.

I use MGL. Find it quite easy and quick to transfer data
Thus is my routine .
Draw the map,
Save it .
Export as a GPX file and save it on my Apple Mac desktop .( I mention Mac as it might be slightly different on a Windows )
Then I plug in the nav.
Find the nav in finder file and open it.
Among all the icons I find the GPX one, drag and drop the new map into it.
Close the nav ,and unplug from the Mac.
Open the Mac go to trip planner .....NEW TRIP FOUND WOULD I LIKE TO IMPORT .
DONE
Hope that helps

Most third party software route planners export their routes as .GPX files, the all but universal way to exchange (share or move) routes between different devices or operating systems.

If the OP creates his route in MGL and then exports to his home computer as a .gpx file, he’ll be able to open it up in either BaseCamp or Mapsource, where the route will display. It may display as a track, but it’s easy to convert a track into a route.

The OP can then check that the route meets his requirements, amending it if necessary. There are lots of very good videos on how to do this

When happy, the OP can then - once he’s checked that the maps on his home computer match those on his Garmin device - send the route to his Garmin, where all should be well.

Or:

1. He can get to love BaseCamp and / or Mapsource, which really are not very difficult

2. He can switch to a TomTom, which uses Google mapping as a default. This will remove him from Garmin entirely. Indeed, why does he own a Garmin device at all?

3. He can......

Connecting Nav 5 to computer

This may not be relevant but I could not get my Nav 5 to connect to Mapsource - another better alternative to F in base camp.

To make it connect you need to fiddle with the settings in your Nav 5 and change them to Mass storage mode.
Here's a copy of my post

I have a Nav 5. I use Mapsource as I prefer it. You keep Basecamp, I don't want it, or like it, or want to use it. It doesn't do,what I want...
To change your Nav 5 settings to Mass storage mode you have to access a hidden menu. My Nav 5 has just gone back to Garmin to be replaced so I have to do this from memory
Find the page with all the past info on it, max speed, average everything, time travelling, time stopped etc. I get to it by touching the 3 horizontal lines on one of the tabs on my dashboard.
YOy should get to a black and white page with loads of info on it.
NOW... press and hold the speed ummm button at the top(?) until you get the hidden menu come up.
Scroll down to the last page, and press the MTP radio button to switch it on. It doesn't upset anything else I'm told.
Now your Nav 5 should be recognised by Map Source. And hopefully your Motoloco.

Good luck

Thanks guys, there are a few things I'll have to try here, so give me some time to get round to it as I find I can have a go and after an hour get pissed off and leave it for a few days till I have another go and yes - get pissed off again and leave it foe a few days!

James

Back
Top Bottom