Albania

Dan DeLion

Reaction score
My son is getting married in Greece which gives me a perfect excuse for a good ride out. I’ve heard conflicting views about whether to ride through Albania. Though I did see a nice set of bends on the SH20 which would almost seem to rival the Alps. Anybody done Albania? Could you recommend;
1. Avoiding it
2. Ride through it quickly
3. Enjoy it, it’s not that bad

Hi

Just on the way to Garmisch having gone down to Albania. As already said, the driving isn’t IAM standard, but no worse than slough, probably enough said.

You get a very ornate insurance certificate for €15 at the border. On exit from the country we were asked for the certificates.

On Friday night we had two pints, a litre of red wine, lamb & rice for mains, and coffee to finish. All for about £23

Do it. Go down the sh8 from Vlore to Sarande, its fantastic scenery makes for a good ride.The driving standards are terrible but as long as you take care its worth it.

Yes well recommended, the capital is probably worth avoiding unless you like a motoring wacky race with everything from a donkey and cart to a Bentley fighting for the same bit of tarmac. Elsewhere very pretty with helpful happy people. If you buy insurance at the border it will be third party risk only.

The yays have it. Thanks for all your replies. Albania it is then. I hope you’ll all chip in if I’m kidnapped by bandits 😬

Thanks I’ll do that. My route planner missed out that bit of coast but having looked at it now I agree it looks worth doing. Any accommodation recommendations?

Thanks I’ll do that. My route planner missed out that bit of coast but having looked at it now I agree it looks worth doing. Any accommodation recommendations?
We stayed at the Hotel alpine at Logarra, actually on the sh8. A massive €30 a night for B and B. it was very good.

Back
Top Bottom