So you think keyless is great?

I can understand your frustration. I ride with several mates with Keyless - I am about the only one with an old enough bike not to have it and although they have been mostly reliable (one had a battery fail in the fob while we were away in Germany a few years ago but we soon sourced a new battery - just a fair bit of pissing around). But we are forever stopping because someone left the key in the topbox or in the seat lock - mostly to just find out that the key is in a different pocket but far enough away to trigger the warning on the dash. Up to now no one has been stranded.

I have been looking at changing my bike this year and have a few quotes (GSA) and I asked of I could buy a TE without the Keyless (only because I am pretty forgetful and I didnt want to temp fate) but it is not available without Keyless. I was worried about the Key being near the bike when I am camping and the bike ignition being "live" but the dealer assured me you have to be literally sat on the bike to start it, however I was not so convinced because it wouldnt be the first time I pulled up behind one of the mates and give them their key that would be dangling in the top box lock....

I think if I order a bike I will have to do what Giles suggests and have a key coil (like I said I am forgetful) - sorry what were we talking about....?

Rik

I don’t think it was a game changer but I found keyless handy. Hate rumbling around pockets for keys mixed up with earplugs! Key in same pocket every time with keyless and leave it there.

Spare battery probably a good shout though.

Just for info.

Just before Xmas I ordered a new 2o21 RT. I opted for central locking same as my previous RTs, this option always comes with alarm which I rarely use as the bike is garaged. I always deliberately do not select keyless when available (old dog new tricks). I discovered yesterday when getting a delivery update from the dealer that BMW have changed the spec since the order, and if you order central locking you have to have the alarm AND keyless. The dealer didn't know and just happened to notice when checking on order process etc.

Obviously not a deal breaker but it I did like to have the option of key/keyless.

Here's what happened this weekend:
I went to a neighboring town (25 miles from home) on Sunday morning on the bike ('17 RTLE).
After I finished there, I started my ride home. At about 1/2 a mile after my journey started, I noticed the Yellow Triangle and exclamation mark, and below it the key symbol with the question mark. I foolishly ignored it because this has happened before when the remote fob was in my pocket, masked (I believe by my phone), so I didn't give it a second thought.
Shortly after this, I stopped at some traffic lights, and as is (now) my custom, I left the bike in 1st but hit the kill switch [I can't bear that crunch into 1st gear] but with the ignition left on. Lights turned green, I hit the start button, dropped the clutch and off I went. Anyhow, about 3 miles later, I was way too hot, so stopped to take a layer off. Same procedure, 'kill' the engine in 1st gear. Ignition left on. I popped the clothes in the top box and then jumped on my bike. Hit the start button....nothing. Checked my side stand up, yep, it was. Still, nothing. Clicked the bike into neutral and tried again...nothing. So pushed the ignition 'off' button and then pushed again to turn it back on again...Oh, no! nothing at all. The bike was now totally shut down.
I went through all my clothing checking for the remote fob and all to no avail. I pushed the bike to a slightly safer location and then started my way back to my start location. EVENTUALLY I got back to where I had started my bike first time and started searching for the key. My lovely Son-in Law, turned up on his bike and he let me ride it (as I knew where I had been). We SLOWLY navigated back to where my bike was marooned with a hope of spotting the fob on the ground somewhere. Nada!
We then went back to my house and picked up the grey plastic emergency key and retrieved my bike. I retraced my route again, and still no sign of the fob.
Here's the thing. If the bike had shut down where it lost the key, I may well have found it. But to only stop once I tried to restart the beast seems crazy.

Here's the bottom line. I COULD have really been in the wilderness with no on to call on.
PLEASE CARRY YOUR SPARE EMERGENCY KEY SOMEWHERE THAT IS ON THE BIKE/HELMET ALL THE TIME.

If I had an ignition key, this COULD NOT happen.

I’ve got a 2016 GSA with keyless, and it’s the only feature of the bike I don’t like. I’ve occasionally hung my jacket up in the garage and left they key fob in it, which might me a bit awkward explaining to my insurance if the bike got nicked. I agree with you keyless is shite, I don’t like it in cars either, it’s laziness personified.

I specifically requested my 2020 RT did NOT have keyless. Besides being technically complicated and unreliable, for example fuel filler cap locking permanently, they are (in this age of technology) relatively unsafe. If you ever have a moment of laziness and just stop your bike using the kill switch you then do not need your keyless fob to start it again. You can leave your bike, go for a coffee and anyone can start your bike without any key at all. Bottom line is, always turn your bike of correctly and don’t get into the habit of just using the kill switch.

I’ve had a keyless RT for over three years, I think it’s a good practical option, same as the central locking. I liked it and never had any issues with it, it warns you in good time when the fob battery needs replacing. Whichever way you stop the engine, it will not restart without the key fob being in close proximity to bike.

Unfortunately you are wrong. Go out, start your bike, stop it with the kill switch, walk away and put your keyless key as far away as you like. Then without the key go and start your bike. This isn’t a “maybe” it’s a documented fact. ..... Everyday is a school day 👍🏻

Here's what happened this weekend:
I went to a neighboring town (25 miles from home) on Sunday morning on the bike ('17 RTLE).
After I finished there, I started my ride home. At about 1/2 a mile after my journey started, I noticed the Yellow Triangle and exclamation mark, and below it the key symbol with the question mark. I foolishly ignored it because this has happened before when the remote fob was in my pocket, masked (I believe by my phone), so I didn't give it a second thought.
Shortly after this, I stopped at some traffic lights, and as is (now) my custom, I left the bike in 1st but hit the kill switch [I can't bear that crunch into 1st gear] but with the ignition left on. Lights turned green, I hit the start button, dropped the clutch and off I went. Anyhow, about 3 miles later, I was way too hot, so stopped to take a layer off. Same procedure, 'kill' the engine in 1st gear. Ignition left on. I popped the clothes in the top box and then jumped on my bike. Hit the start button....nothing. Checked my side stand up, yep, it was. Still, nothing. Clicked the bike into neutral and tried again...nothing. So pushed the ignition 'off' button and then pushed again to turn it back on again...Oh, no! nothing at all. The bike was now totally shut down.
I went through all my clothing checking for the remote fob and all to no avail. I pushed the bike to a slightly safer location and then started my way back to my start location. EVENTUALLY I got back to where I had started my bike first time and started searching for the key. My lovely Son-in Law, turned up on his bike and he let me ride it (as I knew where I had been). We SLOWLY navigated back to where my bike was marooned with a hope of spotting the fob on the ground somewhere. Nada!
We then went back to my house and picked up the grey plastic emergency key and retrieved my bike. I retraced my route again, and still no sign of the fob.
Here's the thing. If the bike had shut down where it lost the key, I may well have found it. But to only stop once I tried to restart the beast seems crazy.

Here's the bottom line. I COULD have really been in the wilderness with no on to call on.
PLEASE CARRY YOUR SPARE EMERGENCY KEY SOMEWHERE THAT IS ON THE BIKE/HELMET ALL THE TIME.

If I had an ignition key, this COULD NOT happen.

Surely the morals to this story are:

A. If a warning light comes on, don’t ignore it. At least stop to find out why the bike thinks (knows) it is out of contact with the chip in the key.

B. Don’t lose your key or keys. Bods lose keys on keyless bikes, too.

PS Your report that you couldn’t restart the bike, after killing the engine with the kill switch, is completely the reverse of AndyT’s strident assurances (a documented fact, apparently) that you can always restart it. Either he is wrong or you are.

PPS I like keyless on my 1600 and always have. So Outtomunch can go do one.

Unfortunately you are wrong. Go out, start your bike, stop it with the kill switch, walk away and put your keyless key as far away as you like. Then without the key go and start your bike. This isn’t a “maybe” it’s a documented fact. ..... Everyday is a school day ����

What muppet would switch the bike off with the kill switch and leave the ignition on then? All the dials are still lit up, just like if you switched your bike off with the kill switch and left the keys in the ignition with the ignition on. But guess you can't account for idiots

I have done something similar in the past with keyless.

I mostly always wear the same bike jacket, and in one of the pockets is a spiral curly lanyard thing with the key attached on its ring. Its a dispatch riders favourite so you just can't put the key down, but you can still open panniers etc.

Pretty simple stuff really ... !!!

Indeed, it is simple stuff. But it will still contrive to defeat many. One might wonder why?

I did the same thing when I owned bikes with an ignition key and the same thing now with a keyless bike with its simple fob. If for some reason I do take the keyless fob out of the jacket, I leave the lanyard dangling, just to remind me to put the fob back. My house key I keep separate, clipped to the inside of a different pocket. I don’t touch it again before I come back home. Why? Because I don’t need to touch it, as I am not at my front door.

I always take a spare bike key away on holiday. Why? Against the chance that I might somehow lose or damage my bike key. I did once damage a key on my Blackbird, accidentally bending it. I foolishly left the key in the filler cap when I half closed it, wheeling the bike forward to let my friend fill up. My tank bag fell on the key, which bent and then snapped later. I carried on with my holiday, as I had a spare key.

Top tip: If you (very sensibly) take a spare key. Keep it separate from where you keep your main key. Do not keep it in your locked metal pannier, which is what someone on one of my Wanders did. He dropped his keys down a ravine in France. He’d put his keys, quite a big bunch (why do people do that?) and his gloves into his helmet, whist we admired the view. He picked up his helmet from the parapet, a glove and the keys fell out, gravity taking over. “That’s OK, my spare key (no spare gloves) are in my..... locked..... metal pannier”..... ah..... bugger! Nothing that a screwdriver and a bit of blunt force couldn’t fix, though.

PS If you own a bike with lockable panniers, don’t leave your keys dangling in a lock when you hoon off on your awesome. It scratches the pannier (which makes bods cry) it wears the lock and they often fall out. You are then buggered, again.

When combined with the forgetful and downright stupid modern technology is a wonderful thing.

You are 100% right about the use of the kill switch ..... however, keyless bikes have been stolen because of riders (out of habit) maybe new to the keyless system, stopping it with the kill switch and going into, get off the bike, helmet off mode. I think to call these people muppets and idiots says more about you than them. By choice I don’t have the keyless system but my point is IF the bike isn’t switched off correctly they can be stolen. The obvious advantage of the traditional key is out of habit people are used to removing the key. Keyless does exactly what it says on the tin and that process is no longer required. Advantages and disadvantages to both.

You are 100% right about the use of the kill switch ..... however, keyless bikes have been stolen because of riders (out of habit) maybe new to the keyless system, stopping it with the kill switch and going into, get off the bike, helmet off mode. I think to call these people muppets and idiots says more about you than them. By choice I don’t have the keyless system but my point is IF the bike isn’t switched off correctly they can be stolen. The obvious advantage of the traditional key is out of habit people are used to removing the key. Keyless does exactly what it says on the tin and that process is no longer required. Advantages and disadvantages to both.

Whatever, it's more like you decided on not having keyless and have come up with a stupid scenario to justify your choice. But I am happy to be proved wrong, so if you can provide some links to people who have had their BMW stolen because they forgot to switch it off, I'd be happy to accept it is a real problem? Please provide some stats, or is this a mate of a mate down the pub told me. It's a bit like having your bike stolen because you left the keys in it. Also having had a previous 1200 RT without keyless, you still have a fob, which unless you tape it up, scuffs the paint around the barrel as it blows in the wind.

If you’ve got keyless, read my previous thread, go out and give it a go. The facts are out there to easily find, so when you have confirmed your bike can be started without the key fob spend a bit of time being less abusive and educate yourself

Yup I’ve proved it. If I leave the ignition on on my bike, I can start it. This is a great site. Bookmarked.

If you’ve got keyless, read my previous thread, go out and give it a go. The facts are out there to easily find, so when you have confirmed your bike can be started without the key fob spend a bit of time being less abusive and educate yourself

Thanks for the advice. I know you can start the bike with the kill switch enabled. But as I've tried to point out, the ignition is still on, all the dials are still active, so it is no different to using the kill switch and leaving the ignition on with the key. So only a muppet would walk away with the bike in that state. Back to my question which you obviously seem reluctant to answer - how many BMWs have been stolen because they are keyless and someone walked away with the ignition still on? If you think this is abuse, you're going to have a great time on this site, but make it 7 posts and carry on this drivel if you want.

Following this thread as I have just upgraded my Gsa to one with keyless and tft only because I got a cracking deal

Back
Top Bottom