So you think keyless is great?

Rent or borrow a metal detector and go back to the area where it might be...

Just my ha pence worth.

Keyless key secure in my troos pocket, and a (freeby) BMW hard metal key (for occasionally opening panniers and sat nag lock) in my jacket, the plastic spare key is hidden. But carrying around 2 keys is no hassle really.

So most of the time I just undo the steering lock, get on and ride/ fuel up etc without getting a key out. Very handy.

The keyless key never sees daylight.

I thought that the issues about bikes being started and then driven away from keys had been well documented on here.

So yes, I’m a fan

I must confess I am not a big fan of Keyless Ride. I had it on my last GSA and it's on my current RT, neither one out of choice, but my simple solution is to keep the keyless fob on a lanyard around my neck. Job done!!

If you lose the key you can’t set off in the first place, but you know where to look.

I had a Multistrada and one of the most annoying things was finding where to put the thing. In the end I bought a ridiculously expensive key fob carrier. On the positive side you could slide a cover off and put in a PIN to ride it.

Personally I wouldn’t pay extra for keyless and unless they make luggage for the GSA with central locking I’m unlikely to get it.

I have keyless on my rt. Yes its handy but things can go wrong. Loosing keys? I lost the keys out of a Honda 175 in 1978. Just fell out. Key hole was down low on those. Whole bunch of keys. Mates bike. Some explaining to do. JJH
Ouch!
Many years ago a bloke had an intermittent total electrical failure on his Bike.
Took it to a mechanic who despite every which way he tried, couldn't replicate the issue. :nenau
Upon returning the key to the owner, the mechanic noticed him putting it onto a keyring with so many keys it would put a jailer to shame. ;)
Turned out the sheer weight of the keyring sometimes pulled the connections apart in the switch! :blast

I use a little yoke that allows me to disconnect a single key off the ring. THAT's all that goes in the lock. :thumb2

I already answered that in the first post:
I left the bike in 1st but hit the kill switch [I can't bear that crunch into 1st gear]
It is to prevent the crash inside the gearbox when selecting first gear from neutral. It also saves fuel (Tongue in cheek)!

I just leave the clutch pulled in..I’d be more worried about the battery failing to power the started if I used it at every set of lights

I just leave the clutch pulled in..I’d be more worried about the battery failing to power the started if I used it at every set of lights

I'd be more worried about someone hitting me up the chuff. Will slip it into neutral if its a longish wait, but would only switch off if I could tell I was going to be there for a long while.

Yes,I had an issue with keyless ride back in 2018 in that I specified my new RT with the old fashioned stick the key in the ignition and start the engine.I know,I know,I'm a Dinosaur but I console myself knowing that scroty boy packing a scanner,won't be able to read my ignition code, coz I don't have one.

Some of you seem to think keyless ignitions are a new thing..... really...... Pah my Bultaco is keyless and is 40 years old.

Anyway, call me a boring old cnut but keyless does my head in in my car and the thought of a keyless bike can feck right off. A solution to a non existent problem, pure marketing bollox.

Embrace the inner JOMO in you :D

Andres

I remember riding off with my keyless fob sitting in the lock of my toolbox, rode about ten miles from where I originally stopped to then get fuel at tyndrum. Had I not been needing fuel it could've been a hundred miles, surprised to this day that the key stayed in the lock while riding.

I’m terrible with keys so the remote key fob allows me keep it safely attatched to a sewn-on key clip in my pocket where it can’t slip or drop out. That said I intend, at great expense no doubt, get an additional fob for my wife to keep attached to her jacket clip.
In addition I’ll get a non-chipped key to use on the panniers etc when required.

I got some blanks cut a couple of days ago,

The fob can go in the waterproof pocket in the Gortex liner, and the blank & disc lock key can sit in the visipocket on the sleeve

the spare blank can sit with all the other bike related spare keys

First tiem ketless with a bike

I love it...til it goes wrong

I’m terrible with keys so the remote key fob allows me keep it safely attatched to a sewn-on key clip in my pocket ......

I have done something similar in the past with keyless.

I mostly always wear the same bike jacket, and in one of the pockets is a spiral curly lanyard thing with the key attached on its ring. Its a dispatch riders favourite so you just can't put the key down, but you can still open panniers etc.

Pretty simple stuff really ... !!!

I use one of those ski-ing retractable string things that are meant to hold the lift pass? Similar idea...

I had the key fob in my inner jacket pocket on tour in France and the key opened accidentally and wore a hole in the pocket. It fell on the floor as I stepped off the bike to refuel. A lucky escape and I’d much prefer a proper key.

A very cautionary tale....

Note to self.......a bit of tape around the key.

S20 5G sent this......

Back
Top Bottom