Himalayan? anyone road one

How are you guys getting on with them on the motorway? Been considering one again for my trip to Norway an to Iceland.

I had one a while ago and i miss it or at least I think I do, so have brought another one and go pick it up tomorrow and im excited :D. I like that they are low and small and handle pretty well.:thumb2

What a useful and informative thread:thumb2

I want a second bike for bimbling around the farm tracks and green lanes of West Cornwall. My '02 R1150GS will continue to be my main bike involving anything over 60 mph = A and motorways etc. I think a GS alongside a Himalayan could be my perfect garage.:thumb2

I’m using a G310gs for bimbling around the local lanes with grass up the middle. It thrives on being worked tops out around 80mph
all at 79 mpg.
The Rt is for longer touring routes.
I was considering an Himalayan the 310 is a superb alternative and is slowly acquiring rally raid parts. It will keep up with motorway speeds 60 being more comfortable.

It makes a nice change from bigger bike and ideal for discovering the smaller roads you wouldn't normally use. its a change of attitude as much as a change of bike I find.

dam those rotating pictures

Attachments

• 5463AB18-02F9-4DFA-9FD4-C2927890072B.jpg
    5463AB18-02F9-4DFA-9FD4-C2927890072B.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 374
I’m using a G310gs for bimbling around the local lanes with grass up the middle. It thrives on being worked tops out around 80mph
all at 79 mpg.
The Rt is for longer touring routes.
I was considering an Himalayan the 310 is a superb alternative and is slowly acquiring rally raid parts. It will keep up with motorway speeds 60 being more comfortable.

Completely agree of the two the G310GS is better. 10BHP more power, 6 speed rather than 5. Proper sized wheels with all the tyre choices. Roomier as well with a good seat height.

Completely agree of the two the G310GS is better. 10BHP more power, 6 speed rather than 5. Proper sized wheels with all the tyre choices. Roomier as well with a good seat height.

have you ridden both ?

its the rugged looks and simplicity I like and despite the power being low the torque is quite high and its that that I prefer not that ive ridden a 310 as it doesn't interest me.

I find the Himalayan very roomy and nice low seat height which is what I wanted and certainly prefer a 18/21 inch wheel set to the 17/19. horses for courses I suppose. I much prefer it to my old crf250l . genuine 250 mile tank range is good too.

As an aside Itchy Boots has had very few issues with an Himalayan riding from India to the Netherlands and another in South America mainly on dirt and gravel roads . You pays your money and takes your chance. I’ve used the 310gs on back lanes and roads with grass up the middle with some gravel and crap and been impressed .Bonus it came at the right price second hand in excellent condition .

I hated the 310 I rode, lots of revs no torque, felt a bit fragile.....check out Chris Scott’s webpage as he has ridden them as hire bikes in Morocco

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coming up to 2 years ownership of my Himalayan and still loving it.

For me, apart from the low seat hight as standard, it's the long stroke engine that stands it apart from it's competitors as it makes the bike more enjoyable (for me) to ride and,
that's what i was looking for when looking for a smaller, lighter stablemate to the GS. Admittedly at 5k miles (ish) it's not had loads of use but neither has the GS this year.
The Enfield is my go to bike for most things these days which is aided by living in North Wales so i have all the tasty lanes and roads on my doorstep so, no big dual
carriageway/motorway mileages to cover to get to them. That isn't to say the Himmy wont tackle those as it will, (unless battling a strong headwind, loaded up) by
happily maintaining 65/70 but, it's really happy speed is in the 50 to 60 range where it is really pleasant to ride which of course, makes it perfect for the NSL back lanes.

Just the other week i did a 1400 mile trip up to Scotland for which i used the GS and loved it; that is why i have two bikes, i have a choice. Tbh. if i hadn't have been
travelling in the company of another GS rider i would definitely have considered using the Himmy.

Was back from Scotland last Wednesday, Saturday i was off for a wee spot of camping and guess which bike accompanied me, correct :thumb2 :D

Edit; Just to say that even with that lot on i could still sit in my usual riding position and have my back clear of the Lomos.
The suspension by the way, copes with that lot plus a 13st. rider very well making it easy to (in IAM speak), "make progress" :D

Attachments

• 20200905_104528.jpg
    20200905_104528.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 282

For me, apart from the low seat hight as standard, it's the long stroke engine that stands it apart from it's competitors as it makes the bike more enjoyable (for me) to ride and,
that's what i was looking for when looking for a smaller, lighter stablemate to the GS. Admittedly at 5k miles (ish) it's not had loads of use but neither has the GS this year.
The Enfield is my go to bike for most things these days which is aided by living in North Wales so i have all the tasty lanes and roads on my doorstep so, no big dual
carriageway/motorway mileages to cover to get to them. That isn't to say the Himmy wont tackle those as it will, (unless battling a strong headwind, loaded up) by
happily maintaining 65/70 but, it's really happy speed is in the 50 to 60 range where it is really pleasant to ride which of course, makes it perfect for the NSL back lanes.

Just the other week i did a 1400 mile trip up to Scotland for which i used the GS and loved it; that is why i have two bikes, i have a choice. Tbh. if i hadn't have been
travelling in the company of another GS rider i would definitely have considered using the Himmy.

Was back from Scotland last Wednesday, Saturday i was off for a wee spot of camping and guess which bike accompanied me, correct :thumb2 :D

Edit; Just to say that even with that lot on i could still sit in my usual riding position and have my back clear of the Lomos.
The suspension by the way, copes with that lot plus a 13st. rider very well making it easy to (in IAM speak), "make progress" :D

That's good to read ... ticks a lot of boxes for me, as next year I'll be looking for a second bike to supplement my R1150GS for the reasons you cite.

I've narrowed it down to a RE Himalayan or a Honda CRF250L Rallye. My local RE dealership told me that Himalayans are becoming scarce as the RE factory is Covid-closed, plus there is a new emissions standard for which they are non-complaint, so there is a fuelling mod in the pipeline ....?? Thanks for your post Tony :thumb2

That's good to read ... ticks a lot of boxes for me, as next year I'll be looking for a second bike to supplement my R1150GS for the reasons you cite.

I've narrowed it down to a RE Himalayan or a Honda CRF250L Rallye. My local RE dealership told me that Himalayans are becoming scarce as the RE factory is Covid-closed, plus there is a new emissions standard for which they are non-complaint, so there is a fuelling mod in the pipeline ....?? Thanks for your post Tony :thumb2

The latest has some tweeks amongst which is a tweek to the emissions so that it complies with the Indian BS6 regulations.
Others i remember are; switchable (rear) ABS. shorter side stand and hazard flashers otherwise, it's all about the colour schemes.

I believe she is actually, see last video :D

She's in Iceland and camping but, that's not the RTW trip Arsey was refering to, is it? ;)

I agree with all you say there. im trying to just stick with the Himalayan and my 990 adv .they really are chalk and cheese but I like that. im taking it for its 1st service tomorrow and and couple of little things that have popped up.

your panniers looks close to the exhaust are the heat proof ?

I agree with all you say there. im trying to just stick with the Himalayan and my 990 adv .they really are chalk and cheese but I like that. im taking it for its 1st service tomorrow and and couple of little things that have popped up.

your panniers looks close to the exhaust are the heat proof ?

I too was concerned about the pannier but it's fine as it doesn't get that hot at the end and the pannier is tough stuff.
Tbh. that was a bit of a try out of those panniers as i'd not used them in anger so to speak since i bought them having
previously used my old Oxford ones.

Back
Top Bottom