My Route App

IIRC doing it the way MRA suggest, you do in 1.0, but in 1.1 you don't even know they are there and there's no button. I'd have to check that, but i think that was what i found.

I wouldn't want to lose that function tbh, so that could be a deal breaker for me. Do you have the option to transfer in GPX 1.0?

You can transfer in 1.0. You get hard waypoints that must be passed through, but you get the skip button.

The waypoints can be converted to shaping points on the 396 but AFAICS not in bulk. They have to be done individually, which is a pain in the arse. If you don't mind dealing with waypoints and skipping the odd one, then that works fine. it also means you can go directly to any one of them if you want to miss out part of a ride. That is not possible using 1.1 as the only waypoints you'll find listed are start and finish.

You can transfer in 1.0. You get hard waypoints that must be passed through, but you get the skip button.

The waypoints can be converted to shaping points on the 396 but AFAICS not in bulk. They have to be done individually, which is a pain in the arse. If you don't mind dealing with waypoints and skipping the odd one, then that works fine. it also means you can go directly to any one of them if you want to miss out part of a ride. That is not possible using 1.1 as the only waypoints you'll find listed are start and finish.

Thought if you transferred in 1.1 you can change the shaping points the same as you can do it the other way around from the Nav (but not sure on that). But what I normally do is once I've sorted a route, I take out some of the waypoints so I don't have as many before I transfer. The route won't change because you can pull a route to the way you want it to go without making them waypoints. Of course if you really want loads of waypoints then that won't work :). You only get the button to skip if you actually have waypoints, so if you transfer with 1.1 and only have shaping points, there are no waypoints to skip.

OK, I'll check it out. Much to Wapping's delight! :D

Thought if you transferred in 1.1 you can change the shaping points the same as you can do it the other way around from the Nav (but not sure on that). But what I normally do is once I've sorted a route, I take out some of the waypoints so I don't have as many before I transfer. The route won't change because you can pull a route to the way you want it to go without making them waypoints. Of course if you really want loads of waypoints then that won't work :). You only get the button to skip if you actually have waypoints, so if you transfer with 1.1 and only have shaping points, there are no waypoints to skip.

Yes you can change the status of waypoints/shaping points on the 396, but not in bulk. each one must be done individually, taking several steps. Not great if you have a lot.

Your idea about removing waypoints before transfer, presumably in 1.0, definitely bears some investigation :thumb2

. But what I normally do is once I've sorted a route, I take out some of the waypoints so I don't have as many before I transfer. The route won't change because you can pull a route to the way you want it to go without making them waypoints.

Whilst that's true when the route is actually imported into your nav depending on the algorithm it uses you may find it will change your route from the lovely B500 to the Autobahn without waypoint/shaping points

Whilst that's true when the route is actually imported into your nav depending on the algorithm it uses you may find it will change your route from the lovely B500 to the Autobahn without waypoint/shaping points

No it doesn't. In my route app, you can choose to use HERE maps to plot your route. When its added to the Nav, it ends up as a trip, it doesn't use the Nav algorithm to re-calculate the route, it just transfers the route as was calculated in the app. So it will be exactly as you plotted it. It will recalculate in the Nav if you are following it, if you go off route and it then asks you to if you want to recalculate.

I have avoid motorways and toll roads ticked in my Nav VI, but I have just got back from Scotland, where I plotted a route, that took in 3 or 4 junctions of the M6 and on the way back, the M6 Toll road, and the device followed the route exactly.

I wouldn't want to lose that function tbh, so that could be a deal breaker for me. Do you have the option to transfer in GPX 1.0?

If you have the nav v1 that has an autoskip function built in.

I have been using my route for quite some time. If you save a planned route and transfer to a Garmin nav, use the garmin 1.0 this saves exactly as you have written it with waypoints. If you save as 1.1 it saves as a track. so when you convert to a route on the nav after transfer, it becomes a track with little blue dots, these are shaping points.

On the free version you just use the basic map,but on the subscribed version you get quite a choice of maps,inc the HERE mapping which is designed for Garmin Navs

ive just found using the here map in myroute doesn't go exactly the tomtom map route but i then compare them and adjust here to suit the bits i like of the tomtom route by making waypoints , works quite well but obviously going live might be different , just planned first 3 days of my september trip and really liking the ease of use

ive just found using the here map in myroute doesn't go exactly the tomtom map route but i then compare them and adjust here to suit the bits i like of the tomtom route by making waypoints , works quite well but obviously going live might be different , just planned first 3 days of my september trip and really liking the ease of use

Been using it for 3 years now on many trips, not issues at all. Just one tip, zoom in on all your waypoints to make sure they are actually where you put them and not to the side of a road, which is easy to do when planning a route. I had one slight issue, where I put a waypoint on the wrong side of a dual carriageway, so ended up coming back on myself. But learnt from that mistake :)

The tip in post #32 applies to all and any route planning software. Always check any route you have created (or received from a third party) before you export it to your device, again when you have installed it on the device and, preferably once more before you trundle off down the road.

Two minutes spent at the start of the process, may well avoid an hour of frustration later.

i paid about 24 euros for gold for the year ...I have 6 email address so i used each one for a month for the free trail. You could just make up any old email address then use the free trial,till it runs out ,then make another on up !

Back
Top Bottom