Normandy

Mongoose

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Off to Normandy on Saturday, 6 day tour and back via Ypres. Any hot tips on hidden gems in the area??

We're taking the 10am Dover-Dunkirk, anyone else lined up for the same ferry? I'm the short baldy on a black VN 1600, my oppo's taking his Crosstourer. Feel free to say hello.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

Go to the Menin Gate at 8pm and be prepared for an emotional moment

Also around there, Vimmy ridge, Arras, trenches at the memorial du Linge, Verdun, Duomont ossuary and fort, ouvrage de Hackenberg (Maginot line), Tyne Cot cemetery

The D Day beaches, American cemetery at Colevile sur Mer, Avranches mulberry harbor, le Cupola, various museums, German cemeteries, and a bit further west La pointe du Hoc and the memorial de Caen

There’s almost too much up there

Cheers for that. Many of those are on the plan, the Menin Gate has been on my bucket list for a long time and I'm expecting an emotional event. I've just noticed that we're not too far from Le Mans, so that's just been added in.

Unless there is an event on, Le mans is a dump. Although the museum is worth going to, but NOT on a hot day: there is no AC and it gets bloody hot and stuffy inside

If you are doing Ypres and the WW1 stuff, why are you then slogging over to Normany? In my opinion, it would be better to do the Ypres and Somme areas, then head over to Verdun (and possibly Bastogne, if you fancy a WW2 fix)

What leadfarmer said :thumb

Plus Thiepval & Ulster Tower if you're doing Arras area

And Arromanches 360 if your doing D-Day beaches

All of Above.

Was in Ypres a couple of days ago, they had a big screen in the square just of the Menin gate for the Football, it may well of gone by now ;-) Had a fantastic Red Curry in one of the restaurants, a few good beers and explored one of the tiny little cemeteries dotted around as we cycled back to our B&B.

These small cemeteries have a little book giving some details of the cemetery and a list of those known / thought to be in it, on the gate pillars there is a little door with the books tucked behind. In the UK some hoody tosspot would set fire to them, but we have always found them sat there and the places look well kept and respected.

Scary fact is only around 50% of WW1 dead have a marked grave, and over 25% have no grave at all - hence so many graves just have "A soldier of the great war" on them, very sad.

Loads of great suggestions, and you’ll be spoilt for choice around Normandy & the Somme regions.

Lochnagar Crater is a nice spot for a wander & an ice cream too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers all, much appreciated. Le Man's now off the list as it's forecast 90 odd degrees apparently!

If you are going to be anywhere near Vimoutiers, the Cher Tigre is with a 10 minute stop off. It's one the Germans scuppered on the way back to Falaise after they ran out of fuel. It's now parked on a plinth at the side of the road in a layby, although starting to deteriorate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vimoutiers_Tiger_tank

In addition to the main Normandy sites further north / west (Caen, Arromanches, etc.), there's also a few smaller museums that are worth a look dotted around the area (try a few Google searches too), including one worth visiting at Bayeaux.

http://www.bayeuxmuseum.com/en/musee_memorial_bataille_de_normandie_en.html

Have a great trip!

The Airborne museum at St. Mere Eglise is very good.

You have to take the picture of the church don't ya ?
Some interesting info boards around he village.

And if you've time there's a wacky little restaurant off the square, the owner does the cooking & it's open way later than most eateries in France. Pad Thai is very good :thumb

Long ride down to the coast, 50 mph zones for around 150 miles of the 245 done today. Filtering on the M6, some twunt in a Nissan Quashqui blocked is off. We did the usual restrained Englishman thing of fitting loudly and a slight horn honk. Full marks to the Tosser on a shiny 1200 GSA and full twat suit who dismounted and knocked on the driver's window to ask him to politely feck off out of the way. You sir, are a true Knight of the road.

Back
Top Bottom