BMW Nav 6 problems.

Appy

Reaction score
Any one else experienced the following with NAV 6.
Picture "topples" through ninety degrees,
Sporadic POIs appear and screen freezes,
Strange menu pages appear at random intervals
Bike icon does not move up map,
Nudge wheel cannot restore correct display.
Basically intermittent totally unreliable with no destination selected. If a Destination is selected the display will work for 90% of the time. When it brings up a random page multiple nudge wheel selections will eventually restore correct display.
Unfit for purpose.
Having delivered GPS back to dealer with a comprehensive list of problems am now told after 2 weeks they need the bike.
Was really hoping to be given a replacement straight away silly me.

Any one else experienced the following with NAV 6.
Picture "topples" through ninety degrees,
Sporadic POIs appear and screen freezes,
Strange menu pages appear at random intervals
Bike icon does not move up map,
Nudge wheel cannot restore correct display.
Basically intermittent totally unreliable with no destination selected. If a Destination is selected the display will work for 90% of the time. When it brings up a random page multiple nudge wheel selections will eventually restore correct display.
Unfit for purpose.
Having delivered GPS back to dealer with a comprehensive list of problems am now told after 2 weeks they need the bike.
Was really hoping to be given a replacement straight away silly me.
Had the same problem on my 3rd Sat nav now pretty poor show for premium price

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It’s either a problem with the GPS device itself. This would be the first bet. This is relatively easy to establish, by trying a different unit.

Or it’s a problem with the bike, that’s manifesting itself in the device. Something as simple as cleaning the contacts on the cradle, perhaps? To establish / cure this, they’ll need the bike.

The only bug bar lve got with my nav 6 is that when you switch the nav on when on the bike a message comes on the screen saying poor GPS reception.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Had an issue with nav 6 randomly changing screens.
Turned out to be crap on the contacts in the cradle.
Cleaned with electrical cleaner and all good now.

Thankfully not had your problems in over a year of use but, minor hiccup occurred twice last year on tour, then again yesterday when trying to zoom in when on the move - blank screen, then repowered up - eventually.
Thought it was a hamfisted operator, but now uncertain.

BMW Nav 6 problems

Thanks guys. I too get the Poor sat reception signal but it does not affect boot up time. i think it is just there after initial switch on while the kit gets the satellites sorted. I always AFC the contacts and check them for debris. Hopefully visit to dealer on Monday will resolve problem. Really annoying as it is an expensive bit of kit. Hope i have better luck than our Irish friend who is on his third. Just do not want prevarication at the dealers. It’s only a 2 hour round trip but still wastes half a day waiting at the dealers.

Had the same problem on my 3rd Sat nav now pretty poor show for premium price

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Norms 23 presumably the bike has been checked and found serviceable if you are on your 3rd GPS. Not a great advert for Garmin.

My Nav 6 works fine most of the times, but somedays, at random, it starts to freak out and behaves as if a spot on the touchscreen was continuously tapped... Meaning scrolling in map, selection of buttons that show up if in the right spot and all sort of crazyness... At first I thought it was dirty connectors or humidity but it did it once even after a torrough alcohol clean of the contacts on a dry day...

It's back at the dealership that apparently sent it to Garmin to investigate... They let me borrow a unit for a 2 week trip I did in Sardinia and the issue never occurred which, in my eye, rule out a problem with the cradle/contacts.

What's weird is this Nav6 was previously on my RS and never flinched. The issue started literally the day after I put it on my TFT equipped Rallye...

Older garmins used to spazz out if there was dirt around the edge of the screen, led it to think it was being pressed constantly , with similar symptoms to those you describe

Engineers at dealers carried out software upgrade. Kit working OK but plan long trip at weekend to give it a reasonable road test. I fondly imagined the Garmin Express upgrades completed at home should have sorted the problem. Don't know if dealer has access to "different software upgrade" we shall see.

GPS useless again Now have pretty picture of Earth with UK size of fingernail and bike icon size of match head. Nudge wheel will not increase scale. Lovely to look at but as much use as tits on a fish. After lots of fairly emphatic debate finally convinced service department to give me a serviceable GPS. Long ride to West coast this weekend will diagnose if bike or GPS is at fault. So hope to hear today if new GPS is available.

just reading about difference of "sleep mode" and physically turning GPS OFF. Does sleep mode only use GPS battery or does it tap into bike battery as well. Will it flatten bike battery if left in sleep mode for a long time in the bike cradle? Good tip never realised using the screen OFF select only selected sleep mode. No clear instruction in the manual.

Norms 23 presumably the bike has been checked and found serviceable if you are on your 3rd GPS. Not a great advert for Garmin.

Appy no the bike hasn't been checked because some of the issues happened whilst the gps was in my hand! The 3rd one I have now accompanied me to the alps for 12 days and rebooted about twice a day sometimes losing the route sometimes not. It also would only show a basic map of France once you zoomed in there were no roads just a green screen. Will be visiting the dealer on Monday to see if I can get my money back. I have been on 2 trips where i needed the sat nav and have been let down every time not a happy person.

Thanks for your reply. Incredibly annoying and frustrating not what you expect from an expensive bit of kit. Managed to convince the dealer to give me a new GPS. Just back from a 300 mile trip to the West Coast So far so good. But early days. Really do hope it is not a duff batch. Mate has had similar problems with 2 Garmin 680s both returned as they just dies after 30 mins.

Used the GPS everyday for the last 2 weeks using all the facilities/ options available. Working perfectly, so hopefully things will be OK. When I completed the 2018 map upgrade upload on the last "erratic" GPS it took ages to reboot with lots of weird display indications after the download, perhaps that is an indication of impending GPS doom! Fingers crossed. Still cannot figure out why service department did not try a different unit in the first place. Would of saved a lot of hassle.

Had similar issues and with the screen trying to re-calibrate itself.

Spoke to the dealer and it was exchanged.

No issues since.

Bit of an update, the replacement started playing up a few weeks ago and just out of warranty.

So for about £145’ish it was returned and exchanged for another refurbished one.

At first Garmin said that it hadn’t been received there but Royal Mail had a signature.

The refurbished one looks brand new to me.

If you do return your’s for whatever reason, get a signature.

Back
Top Bottom