Stelvio

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer the ride up from Bormio. Went over again last year as some on the trip had never been over. bucket list, rather than outstanding, but why not?
Make sure to do the Flüela Pass if weather is decent. Cracking road.

Well back home now after a brill time, thanks for the tips it proved to be a cracking day although i didn't realize the Gavia got so narrow :eek:
The Stelvio was all what i had hoped and the Umbrail and Fluela were just a joy, as for Davos Kerrchingggg :surrender

although i didn't realize the Gavia got so narrow :eek:

What were you driving, a tour bus?

We assumed you were on a Motorcycle, you can get one of those along there easily, even with my huge panniers on I have no problems passing oncoming cars.

Really glad you liked it though, definitely worth riding at least once.

What were you driving, a tour bus?

We assumed you were on a Motorcycle, you can get one of those along there easily, even with my huge panniers on I have no problems passing oncoming cars.

Really glad you liked it though, definitely worth riding at least once.

Well valentino you assumed correctly, i wasn't complaining and did enjoy it :beerjug:

Well valentino you assumed correctly, i wasn't complaining and did enjoy it :beerjug:

It is narrow at the top though! You don’t want to meet too much coming the other way!

Glad you enjoyed your trip

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well back home now after a brill time, thanks for the tips it proved to be a cracking day although i didn't realize the Gavia got so narrow :eek:
The Stelvio was all what i had hoped and the Umbrail and Fluela were just a joy, as for Davos Kerrchingggg :surrender

So which way did you do the Stelvio ? I'm guessing from the Bormio side if you did the Gavia ? If so, you really missed nothing from the other side other than being able to say you did it from there though you'd have probably had to endure the traffic from Merano/Bolzano which is torturous.

The Umbrail is fully tarmacked now I believe, so will be decent and the run of the Fluela is just magnificent. As for the Gavia, that is hard work, not on my to do again list.

So which way did you do the Stelvio ? I'm guessing from the Bormio side if you did the Gavia ? If so, you really missed nothing from the other side other than being able to say you did it from there though you'd have probably had to endure the traffic from Merano/Bolzano which is torturous.

The Umbrail is fully tarmacked now I believe, so will be decent and the run of the Fluela is just magnificent. As for the Gavia, that is hard work, not on my to do again list.

Yup, rode from the Bormio side, They were just finishing tarmacking the umbrail as we past.

Yup, rode from the Bormio side, They were just finishing tarmacking the umbrail as we past.

That would be a resurface, back in 2010 it had @ 2 mile stretch of fine gravel (I did it two up on a ZZR1400) went back there last year and it was all tarmac.

Stelvio Closed from Bormio Side

Am planning to go to Stelvio next weekend, (21 Sep) An Italian friend was there last week and said the Bormio side was closed due to a landslide. The Bormio.eu web page says "Transit is allow only during the following hours: between 6.30 a.m. and 8.00 a.m. and between 6.00 p.m. and 7.30 p.m. The transit from Bagni Vecchi must be no later than 7.30 a.m." The Trafoi side is open as is the Umbrail.

Wapping High Street has roadworks and temporary traffic lights. I suspect it’s something to do with the new ‘bus gate’ but I might be wrong. On a brighter note, the sun is shining.

Am planning to go to Stelvio next weekend, (21 Sep) An Italian friend was there last week and said the Bormio side was closed due to a landslide. The Bormio.eu web page says "Transit is allow only during the following hours: between 6.30 a.m. and 8.00 a.m. and between 6.00 p.m. and 7.30 p.m. The transit from Bagni Vecchi must be no later than 7.30 a.m." The Trafoi side is open as is the Umbrail.

It's closed until further notice I believe and has been closed since late August. There is barriers up just at the Umbrail exit to stop anyone going down towards Bormio, we came up via the east ramp (Trafoi) couple weeks back and went down the Umbrail.

It's closed until further notice I believe and has been closed since late August. There is barriers up just at the Umbrail exit to stop anyone going down towards Bormio, we came up via the east ramp (Trafoi) couple weeks back and went down the Umbrail.

So the top is still accessible, a shame though as the West ramp is much nicer, I have gone up the Umbrail and down the West ramp, and up the West ramp and down the Umbrail a couple of times, only use the East Ramp if I am heading out further East (like on way to Dolomites) as the Eats ramp is tight and knarly and not really whole lot of fun.

Also note that that one of the alternate routes from Bormio, the Gavia Pass, is also closed due a landslide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom