Route to Zurich through France

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweaty Sock

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am a total newbie at this stuff (age 55). I have been to Normandy and Brittany by bike, but never further afield, and not on my own, until now. I am planning a 7 day trip to Zurich and back.
Can anyone give me a bit of advice about a route from Dieppe/Calais other than what Google gives me? I don't want to stick only to major roads, but will when needed, and I would like to divide the journey into bites of 200-250 miles, so need campsite or budget accommodation stop offs.
This is probably second nature to many of you. I have been calculating mileage/km, fuel, time, cost ferries vs tunnel, etc. My head is boggling!!!:blast:blast:blast:blast:blast
I am heading from mid Wales, near Shrewsbury so Southampton is closest port, DFDS is cheapest but has 90min check in as opposed to a 45min check in from Stenna makes direct comparison very difficult, even in the time of internet :rob. Then there's the option of a longer ride to catch the Chunnel/Eurostar/Le pipe but a shorter travel time.

So to sum up, you're going from the West Midlands (ish) to Zurich, how would you choose? Answers on a postcard... thank you. :bow

Pump your start and end points into Kurviger, it’s as good as anything at giving you some pretty good ideas.

Do the same in ViaMichelin, alter the settings to suit.

Both are free.

Go to the RiDE website; look at their Alps Special and / or other routes. They will have something. If they don’t then they’ll give you enough to get you started.

Your request is all but identical to another recently posted thread and several more besides as, not surprisingly, you are not the first bod to ride from the Chanel ports to Zurich’ish. Have a look at those. Rasher in particular posts up several good suggestions.

Here it is. You’ll need to skip past all the shite, literally.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...ny-tips-Dunkirk-to-Swiss-Alps-and-back-7-days

To save you some time, the most usual instruction is to hit the motorways ASAP and to avoid camping until you arrive at your final destination, Zurich and / or the return port.

Now back to your specific enquiry. Here’s an example, in under one minute from Kurviger, on an iPad:

0d02c939d1ab8eb216f98910d795d046.png

Use your imagination. Drag the northerly of the two lines through the Ardennes / Black Forest perhaps?

Drag the southerly line towards Dijon, Toyes, the Vosges and Morvan, maybe?

Here’s vaMichelin’s suggestion of Calais to Zurich, avoiding tolls which will take you away from the main French motorways. It throws up three suggestions, without really trying. Look where they go...

9bbe87291a0a597b24d498527183aae0.png

Get the idea now? Yes? Great!

No... Come on, this site is full of the ‘Must do’ areas to ride through, even if they don’t all go exactly to Zurich. Have a go, it’s why you bought an ‘Adventure’ bike, after all.

Due north of Zurich is the Black Forest, it has to be on one of your legs. I recently recommended the Holiday Inn express in Baden Baden.

Luxembourg is worth a visit don't expect to see many other humans there, I don't know what they do with them.

Kurviger has worked very well for me. You get a choice of how twisty. You can select grade 2 as it were and click avoid motorways and tolls which gives an interesting route. Grade 4 the twistiest will take you out of your way for a hill or curve, it can extend your day's ride quite significantly.

From your location I would advocate getting a late tunnel crossing (the price drops later in the day) and stop in a cheap hotel in France - this can effectively add a day to the trip at little cost in time to you. sometimes, I even go to work then travel down to the Tunnel, get a bit to eat and nip through the tunnel and stay in a 30 euro hotel. This puts you in France for breakfast on day 1. Time has great value on a trip, more than cash to me.

You can get Tunnel tickets using Tesco Clubcard points if you have some saved up.

Do you need to visit France, other than to disembark from the tunnel/ferry? As others suggest, a good way to get to Zurich is via Belgium, Lux & Germany.

If you want to go via France, head towards Basel and spend one of your overnights in the Ardennes and another in Alsace before you get as far as Basel.

Maybe do a circuit - travel south via France, north via Germany.

I can't recommend places to stay. I don't camp and only use budget hotels near a port as they tend to have 24 hour receptions and decent security in what is usually a dodgy area. Otherwise I'm in places that cost 70-100 euros a night.

I am planning a 7 day trip to Zurich and back....from the West Midlands (ish)..... I would like to divide the journey into bites of 200-250 miles, so need campsite or budget accommodation stop offs..... don't want to stick only to major roads, but will when needed

Assuming you want to divide your trip into two equal halves, that’s three and a half days each way. We can only assume that this includes your time in Zurich (why are you going there?) and the journey time between your house, the ports and your return from the ports back home. You want to avoid major roads and limit yourself to say 250 miles a day.

Let’s do the maths, excluding any time that needs to be taken into account for the journey from home to the port(s) and back again.

Calais to Zurich direct - including motorways - is 750 kms, let’s call that 500 miles to keep things simple. It’ll be a bit further avoiding motorways and other major roads. 250 miles on reasonable French D roads is near enough a pretty decent day’s ride; starting at say 09:30, a coffee stop, a reasonable lunch stop, a tea stop, one fuel stop, finishing around 17:30’ish. 250 miles times two is 500 miles, so you’ve near enough covered the distance required, with one overnight stop. Halfway along the direct line Calais to Zurich is around about Rheims or Luxembourg, decent enough places to stop in. That’s two days out of your seven gone, with two to come back, is four, leaving three to be in Zurich and / or to cater for your inevitable journeys from your home to the ports (including the crossing times) and back again.

So, if you are happy with this, we now have your overnight stopping points. Find yourself a campsite / hotel at near enough Rheims or Luxembourg.

Is anyone going to give you the detailed D road directions for a 500 mile journey between Calais and Zurich? I’d guess not. You’ll need them detailed as it’s a long’ish way. But don’t worry. The pictures in post #2 near enough shows you the directions any sensible route between the NE French coast and Zurich must take you. Fire up Kurviger and / or ViaMichelin or even Google maps, set your preference settings and it’ll give you the exact route. One tip, definitely avoid too many intricate left, right, left, right changes down French D roads as you seek out every nice looking yellow road bordered by a green line, as you’ve read that these are the ‘best roads’. Yes, you can do it but it takes time and we know little about you other than you are 55 and near enough solo for the first time. I’d urge you on the side of caution but hey, it’s your holiday.

Does any of that look like it might tie up with you?

Obviously, if you plan on rolling off the train / ferry at 15:00 French time, you do not have a full day ahead of you to ride the 250 miles of non-major roads starting at 09:30. If so, you’ll probably not make Rheims or Luxembourg for your first overnight stop. You’ll therefore have to re-think the roads you take (are motorways suddenly your best friend) or, if you are insisting on D roads, some other stop over points, maybe closer to the Channel. This loss of the time between 09:30 and 15:00 and it’s consequent shortening of day one, will have a knock on effect on day two’s 250 miles, possibly leaving you short of Zurich by the close of play as a consequence.

Have a muck about and come back to us with your ideas, please.

Thinking too much.

Looking on a computer too much.

Grab a coffee, browse a map, make some notes.

Get on bike, go for a ride.

My head is boggling!!!

As Tarka says, you are trying too hard.

Post #5 shows that it’s definitely only 500 miles A to B * Calais to Zurich and the same back. Thereafter it’s only simple sums and a bit of imagination. Post #2 shows how Kurviger (and other similar tools) will show you the way.

* As a basic guide, Shrewsbury to Glasgow direct is a little under 300. You'd know how to do that, I’d guess? Three hundred miles (give or take) is no different because you cross the Channel, trust me. You don’t suddenly change and the distance doesn’t suddenly alter. Just do what you’d do in the UK, you’ll be fine. I promise.

Thinking too much.

Looking on a computer too much.

Grab a coffee, browse a map, make some notes.

Get on bike, go for a ride.

I can’t bring myself to do that. I still need to use a highlighting pen and put the map in my tankbag.

That assumes I can actually commit myself to a destination and don’t change my mind when I see somewhere that looks interesting or make better/worse progress than expected.

I can’t bring myself to do that. I still need to use a highlighting pen and put the map in my tankbag.

Yes....I do that...but didn't want to post what I mistakenly thought was an obvious thing, for fear of giving the OP even more to think and worry about.

His head is boggling enough. :D

Good job it's only Zurich, and not Zaire or Zanzibar.

Some really good info here. Nice to have this kind of help on the forum.:thumby:

3 Days each way to Zurich and back is just a waste of time, all the best roads (Alps) are beyond Zurich by quite some way, and there are lots of good roads closer to home / on the way - Ardennes / Luxembourg / Black Forest / Vosges / Morvan / Eifel)

Why Zurich?

Why a week to undertake a two day ride (4 tops - if taking scenic roads and stopping every 5 minutes)

I am overwhelmed by the support. Thank you so much. I will answer a few questions, and mention a couple of comments.

I needed somewhere to aim for and a purpose, and stumbled upon the HUBB event near Zug just S of Zurich which is 3 day event- never been to anything like that before.

The highlighter pen and maps have been out, as well as computer, but some on the road knowledge is lacking- like where to avoid as much as where to go. FWIW I have a wee Garmin sat-nav but I find it a distraction and it is switched off or in my tank bag. Much prefer a bit of paper under the plastic of the bag with road numbers and junctions/distance marked on in big felt tip!...:rob

Thanks especially for the Kurviger thing- didn't know about it, and for the encouragement.

You are right about riding in the British isles, I have been happy doing here to Fife or to the W coast Ireland, and the distances don't trouble me. I guess I am just a bit anxious and need to reassure myself that I have done just enough research. Like which bit of boring I can get on a M-way to avoid but not be on the M-way past the nice bits:blast.

Ironically, I hate riding on busy UK roads like the M25 and am happier on a less busy French road. :rolleyes: I like the way they drive fast and don't hassle me, even when I when I was there on a wee CB500S!:eek:

I will report back later!:thumb

I’ve been on a fair number of trips abroad both on my own, with my wife as pillion, a few bikes and large groups and lost my biking travel virginity with Wappings group rides. Something that Wapping insisted upon and is key in my thinking is set a time to leave and stick to it, “wheels rolling at 9” as his example, otherwise you’ll just be playing catch up all day and the enjoyment goes. Realistic distances allow you to take another coffee break or stop to admire that special view when it appears or cope with the unexpected. Enjoy your trip.

Just had a lovely "webchat" with a girl from Le Chunnel, which has convinced me this is the way to go- 1h20 from check in to roll off!
No worries about changing my ticket if I run late- just call them or do it online she tells me. Forgot to ask if we still have to sit in with the bikes...

I am sold on the idea of covering as much ground as possible early on so M-way here we come, I have friends near Ashford so I can stay with them and get an early start. I am also sold on a hotel stop part way as I'll be camping at the HUBB thing. I have read the amusing June thread as suggested, and am generally less worried. Thanks again, y'all.

Has anyone been recently to one of these HUBB events- I see the thread has stumbled to a stop.

Just checked my rear wheel bearings- a little play, which worries me. I will as elsewhere on the forum about that.

Plan then is to take more time on the way back, perhaps extend to 8-9 days in total, bearing in mind not to try to cover 1100km in 22hrs!

The Chunnel, providing it’s not delayed as sometimes happens, is great.

Yup, you stay with your bike during the crossing. Dead easy.

Enjoy your holiday and let us know how you get on, please.

Just had a lovely "webchat" with a girl from Le Chunnel, which has convinced me this is the way to go- 1h20 from check in to roll off!
No worries about changing my ticket if I run late- just call them or do it online she tells me. Forgot to ask if we still have to sit in with the bikes...

I am sold on the idea of covering as much ground as possible early on so M-way here we come, I have friends near Ashford so I can stay with them and get an early start. I am also sold on a hotel stop part way as I'll be camping at the HUBB thing. I have read the amusing June thread as suggested, and am generally less worried. Thanks again, y'all.

Has anyone been recently to one of these HUBB events- I see the thread has stumbled to a stop.

Just checked my rear wheel bearings- a little play, which worries me. I will as elsewhere on the forum about that.

Plan then is to take more time on the way back, perhaps extend to 8-9 days in total, bearing in mind not to try to cover 1100km in 22hrs!

Park your bike, in gear, with the sidestand to the front of the train. They always want you to park the other way but I've help prevent a couple of bikes falling over because the train can brake harder than it can accelerate. Ignore their direction and explain to them why.

Whichever way you go always give yourself at least 12 hours of extra time getting back, in case of bad weather, roadworks minor breakdowns etc, it will be cheaper than missing the ferry home, been there done that and worn the donkey hat, for missing the ferry.

Is that on the sidestand with the front wheel against a bulkhead? Makes good sense! Thanks for the tip- I am assuming then that they don't tie down like the ferry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom