Nutty's law

BoB21

Reaction score
I think I have Inadvertently found at least part of cause. I wanted to put music onto Nav5 so bought a 32gb card but when i put card in could not get postcodes or towns when searching. Asked at BMW and was told to just hook up to express and it would sort itself out (but keep old card in case) which I did. No update or install. Postcodes and towns came back and all good. Still problem with no music so searching and found Nuttys law so checked and found no south Europe so reinstalled maps. Yesterday after reinstall of maps on new card decided to check original card and found same problem so updated.Put new card back in and sure enough no south Europe so it seems if you take card out you lose south Europe at least I did. Also dont rely on checking maps for south Europe in nav it was showing ticked on mine but no map. Better way to check is zoom in and check minor roads are there. Apologies if this has already been noted but couldn't find anything.

what you are doing should not affect the cards in any way, if the map was on the card when it was in the unit it should still be there when removed and reinserted, it sounds more like a bad connection between the card and dock on the unit.

Fair enough it was your responses interested in. But why when I remove either card would I lose maps but after reinstall they stay there?

If you have moved or renamed any folders on the card such as renaming the garmin folder or changing the folder structure within the garmin folder this would indeed make the map invisible to the unit and would therefore not work, doing a reinstall of the maps using express would then correct the issue, that is providing you have done any of the afore mentioned things, if not and if I read correctly what you are saying that an installed map that is on the card has suddenly disappeared I would still suggest a faulty dock or bad connection.

I had been trying to load music onto the new card but not the original card so that wouldn't explain it because lost Europe on both cards. As far as connection concerned every time switched on Nav to check,the maps are still there if connection bad would have thought would be missing some times!. I will leave alone over W/E and next week will check maps still there and then swap cards over again to see what happens. Going to alps Sept and would like to use routes planned, I know highlighter pen and maps will be taken.

you say (Quote) As far as connection concerned every time switched on Nav to check,the maps are still there if connection bad would have thought would be missing some times. you also say (quote) so it seems if you take card out you lose south Europe at least I did, I would bet diamonds that if the map data was on the card before you removed it it would still be there after it was removed, the action of removing the card will not erase the data. all you need to do to prove this is to see how much free space is on the card before and after by using a card reader attached to a pc or mac to view the free space or to look at what is on the card before and after.
As a side note the above will not prove that the data on the card is not somehow being corrupted as the card is removed or re inserted there by making the map unreadable but it will prove that the data is still there, i have had cards that if you bend or twist them slightly they have corrupted the data and required chucking, and this also aplies to cheap copy cards.

Back
Top Bottom