Best way to lower my 1200 - shocks or springs

Gail-force

Reaction score
Hi all,

For some reason my newest 1200GS (2008) seems to be taller than all my others (or I'm shorter, who knows) anyhoo, Mort suggested I ask you lot the best way to go with lowering my bike.....shorter spring (cheaper option) lowered shocks (expensive option) cut down seat (may or may not work) Garry Glitter Boots (no, that's not an option!)

What's the easiest to fit as Mort will be the mechanic, and what's going to be best for the bike and the subsequent handling?

Not asking much, but would welcome suggestions :)

It all depends on what route you want to go, and how confident you are.

Forget height, it has nothing to do with feet down - inside leg is the biggest factor

I'm 5'5" with an inside leg of 28-29" (This is the most important measurement)

2004-2005 the seat heights were 840mm - 860mm (33"-33.9")

My 2006 has the following

Seat heights are STD - 850mm - 870mm (34.2"-33.5@) High 880mm - 900mm (34.6" - 35.4")

The Low seat height is 820mm (32.3") :)

Easy things to try -

1) Back of rear suspension preload to the minimum setting, and take rebound to the lowest setting - Front suspension should be on 2nd notch i believe

2) Fit low seat.

This is my setup and it works for me. i can get tip - to balls of feet down when sitting normally, and if i do a little twist one foot flat on the floor.

To get on the bike i use sidestand and swing the bars fully to the right, it pitches the bike over and then i can swing my leg over like a hurdler.

With panniers on its the old goosestep, or drag them over the panniers lol.

I try not to park on a gradient, or heavy cambered roads,

but if have to, i'm not bothered about wheeling the bike to a more level area before getting on.

The other option is to use hyperpro springs, I believe they do up to a 30mm lowered spring front & rear.

Not sure how this would affect the handling though.

They used to do a low chassis bike, which had lowered suspension (i believe springs as well) -

Now the only way to get a low chassis biike is to have ESA & a low seat I havn't tried it so cant confirm

If you go down that route, let me know :)

If you want both a lower bike and retain good handling get the shocks lowered, it's not overly expensive I've just sent one off to FTR suspension for the same on one of my bikes.

If it is not already a low height bike Remember that the stands will need modifying too

Lower profile tyres if you are using road tyres may also be an option along with a spring/shock change?

It would be very hard to put shorter shocks on without changing the springs. Otherwise it would be like having the preload would up all the way only more so. JJH

It would be very hard to put shorter shocks on without changing the springs. Otherwise it would be like having the preload would up all the way only more so. JJH

Well obviously shorter shocks need shorter springs :blast:D

Hi Santa,

Thanks for the helpful info. I've done as you suggested and it's lower, so feet to floor fine, but it's a bit too wallowy around the bends...I'll live with it for a while and see how it goes.

Gail

Hi Santa,

Thanks for the helpful info. I've done as you suggested and it's lower, so feet to floor fine, but it's a bit too wallowy around the bends...I'll live with it for a while and see how it goes.

Gail

You may find as you get used to it, you wind the rear suspension back up a notch ;)

Back
Top Bottom