Wild camping in the Peak District

EVskij

Hand-crafting clients' ideas in real time
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As per title looking for advice/recommendations. Would love to be by the stream/river side. Is wild camping permitted in the area?

Going there on Friday 17th of August for one night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wild camp’d far and wide and never had a problem. I work by these rules. Setup late and strike camp early.

Is wild camping permitted at all in England ??

I know its doubtful any harm will come of it and unlikely to be caught and disciplined for it
Only legally on Dartmoor. However, get an OS map of the area you fancy and look for possible places. You want flat, dry (as in not boggy) ground. A water supply is handy and a means of filtering or sterilising, unless you carry your own, which is heavy. Arrive late, leave early and leave no trace is the mantra.
If you're discreet, it's possible almost anywhere.

Wild camping is only really “permitted” in the lakes but if you follow a few guidelines you’re unlikely to get into much trouble. In the rest of England you just need to have your wits about you.

People don’t tend to share their spots unfortunately so you’ll have to make your own judgement on the best place to stop but that’s part of the fun. Few things to look out for/think about are;
- water, being close to it is always a good option as carrying it in is tiring. I got an MSR trailshot water filter which is great for making water drinkable and only £40
- equipment, don’t take everything you own as you wont tend to need it all, try to scale it back. The 4 season sleeping bag isn’t going to be needed in this weather
- food, you need calories if you are hiking in to a spot, snacking through the day is good with a boil in the bag meal for dinner
- alcohol, spirits are lighter than beer!!!

A little inspiration from our trip this weekend gone in the Dales...

eEsfGf4.jpg

This is what the Lake District gov website says which is all pretty logical;
- camp above the highest fell wall, well away from towns and villages
- leave no litter - this includes not burying any litter and removing other people's
- don't light any fires, even if there is evidence that fires might have been lit
stay for only one night
- keep groups very small - only one or two tents
- camp as unobtrusively as possible with inconspicuous tents which blend in
- leave the campsite as you would want to find it
- carry out everything you carried in
- carry out tampons and sanitary towels. Burying them doesn't work as animals dig them up again
- choose a dry pitch rather than digging drainage ditches around a tent or moving boulders
- perform toilet duties at least 30 metres - 100 feet - from water and bury the results with a trowel

Wild camping is not permitted in the National Park, not sure about other areas of Derbyshire. Unless things have changed in the last 10 or so years.

I've wild camped in the Lake District, Dartmoor, Yorkshire, Wales and Scotland with no issues. As above, camp late, move on early, don't leave any signs of being there and definitely never any camp fires, especially in this weather. Although you'd have known that obvs. :thumb2

Edit: Dartmoor added

As per title looking for advice/recommendations. Would love to be by the stream/river side. Is wild camping permitted in the area?

Going there on Friday 17th of August for one night

The fucking gypsies get away with it...wherever they like, and they do completely the opposite and leave as much shit as possible.

The fucking gypsies get away with it...wherever they like, and they do completely the opposite and leave as much shit as possible.

Best response ever 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Oh yes nearly forgot. Don’t buy/take a bright yellow or orange tent to look like you’re at Everest base camp. Everyone can see you.

Back
Top Bottom