A bit of security advice sought from “the collective”...

I use and really like the Abus 8008 disc lock. One very good extra feature about it is you never try to drive off with it still installed as the alarm goes off as soon as you move the bike.

In complete agreement with the above re multi layered defence like three separate systems. I think a good quality cable is my next layer as they are lighter and easier to pack on the bike than a chain.

Given the brake disc is mucher thin gauge than the 'pin' on the disc lock, why does Mr Thief not use the angle grinder on the disc ie save time & reduce risk by sacrificing one disc?

The best security is to have a scruffy looking bke that no scumbag would be seen dead on, and that doesn't look like it is worth anything.

Given the brake disc is mucher thin gauge than the 'pin' on the disc lock, why does Mr Thief not use the angle grinder on the disc ie save time & reduce risk by sacrificing one disc?

They do - I've seen pictures of bikes with a chunk cut out of the disk.

if they want it, they can have it. I'll get a new one. As long as I have a credit card, I can get home and claim any costs back.

Don't forget to factor in the increased insurance because it was stolen - around £1,000 per year in my case...

Hello,

This thread is helpful re security etc.

I have the alarmed abus disc lock for my front wheel ... which is great. Quite noisy.

The rear disc is much smaller.... and there’s a drive shaft ...

What locks / mechanisms are recommended for securing the rear wheel ?
I tried a squire U lock , but couldn’t get it to fit ...

Any suggestions appreciated.
I have a 2014 GS LC by the way.

Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best motorcycle security known to man:

Have a motorcylce nobody wants to be seen dead on! :D

Are there any advantages of using RoadLok instead of a disk lock? I know roadlok is attached to the bke so always available but it looks quite thin and I suspect easy to cut with an angle grinder.

Main advantage is the extra hassle any would be thief would need to go through to make the bike mobile - many extra cuts needed.

Hello,

This thread is helpful re security etc.

I have the alarmed abus disc lock for my front wheel ... which is great. Quite noisy.

The rear disc is much smaller.... and there’s a drive shaft ...

What locks / mechanisms are recommended for securing the rear wheel ?
I tried a squire U lock , but couldn’t get it to fit ...

Any suggestions appreciated.
I have a 2014 GS LC by the way.

Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For my rear disk I use an Oxford Nemesis disk lock, it’s got a 16mm thick shackle, and with it fitted at the bottom of the disk it would be difficult to get at with bolt croppers or an angle grinder

For my rear disk I use an Oxford Nemesis disk lock, it’s got a 16mm thick shackle, and with it fitted at the bottom of the disk it would be difficult to get at with bolt croppers or an angle grinder

Plus one for fitting a rear disk lock as an additional bit of security, any thief would find it very difficult to get an angle grinder in to cut it off.

They are also small and relatively light to carry around.

Fitted the monimoto tracker decent price only drawback it only alerts you when the bike is moved and will show you where it is going thankfully only tested by me forgetting fob but well impressed with it for price and only £32 a year.
https://monimoto.com/uk/
Ps no wiring req works by battery not had it long enough to test batt life.

Thread resurrection time:

I would like to add a disk lock with motion alarm to the REAR disk of my 2019 GSA, but not all disk locks fit.

Any recommendations ??

(I have all the other bases covered already like front disk lock, alarm/immobiliser, tracker, chain & padlock)

Fitted the monimoto tracker decent price only drawback it only alerts you when the bike is moved and will show you where it is going thankfully only tested by me forgetting fob but well impressed with it for price and only £32 a year.
https://monimoto.com/uk/
Ps no wiring req works by battery not had it long enough to test batt life.

I have a Monimoto fitted - battery life is good, mine are lasting at least 18 months - at which time I replace them as a question of maintenance, rather than the app telling me that they are getting weak. Recommendation (from Monimoto) are Varta batteries - which is what I've just replaced mine with.

Ive gone for a Roadlok and had Cymarc modify my centre stand so its padlocked when on the centre stand and only takes a moment to fit the padlock. Served me well on a recent around Europe trip.

Like disc locks, chains’ effectiveness, though better than nothing, are only really any good if the bike is chained to something solid. If it isn’t, the bike is simply locked or chained to itself, which does not prevent the bike being very simply lifted and dumped in a van.

As with most threads of this type (which are not particular to a water cooled GS) it dissolves down into one bod saying, “I use XYZ and my bike hasn’t been stolen”, followed by another saying “I use ABC and mine hasn’t been nicked”, followed by “But I use 123 with the addition of 7 * and it hasn’t been stolen”, culminating in the all but inevitable “I don’t use anything and it’s not been stolen”, all of which only boils down to the simple fact that all four of them had a pound of butter in the fridge.

Use whatever method suits you best, whilst remembering that bods on this site report:

A. I only left my bike for two minutes, whilst I bought a coffee. This of course ignores that nothing really only takes two minutes and that he couldn’t be arsed to lock it.

B. Thefts from outside their house of bikes that are chained and alarmed to the hilt.

Of the two, scenario A is probably the easiest to potentially avoid, by taking the real 30 seconds that it takes to put a dic lock on, extending your ‘two minute’ coffee break by half a minute only. Scenario B only shows that if someone wants it badly enough and they think / know that they can probably get away with pinching it, they will (maybe) at least attempt it. As to those that leave their £15,000 plus motorcycle, parked all day with nothing but fresh air to protect it….. good luck.

* Cymarc’s centre stand adaption.

Back
Top Bottom