Importing a bike into France?

Hi chaps

Just seen this thread so I thought I'd chime in

Lebowski is right about insurance, multibike does not exist here, some companies will give you 10% off a second policy but that's about all

I have always found AMV to be the cheapest https://www.amv.fr/

If you have proof of your past insurance contracts bring it with you, it takes 13 years here to get to 50% no claims and if you've never been insured here you may have to start from scratch
I was lucky enough to be able to prove my insurance history when I arrived and got to keep my no claims bonus
I use Direct assurance for cars, they are almost always the cheapest and they accepted my proof of UK history
https://www.direct-assurance.fr/

The finance packages here are not as interesting as PCP from what I can tell, the "assurance" mentioned is indeed an insurance for the loan against injury or job loss usually although this is generally not worth the money

If you are going to be working here in your current company but on a french speaking site you will learn the language quickly

I came here 20 years ago and spoke almost no French but working all day in french you you just pick it up, within 6 months you will be getting by no problem, after 2 years you'll be pretty good orally
Reading comes quickly but writing is a lot longer, spellcheck & grammar check helps a lot !

Hi chaps

If you are going to be working here in your current company but on a french speaking site you will learn the language quickly

I came here 20 years ago and spoke almost no French but working all day in french you you just pick it up, within 6 months you will be getting by no problem, after 2 years you'll be pretty good orally
Reading comes quickly but writing is a lot longer, spellcheck & grammar check helps a lot !

Probably why I struggle so much with my french. I can just about get by and I'm having 2 lessons a week now, but as I don't work and the area is very quiet we've not interacted as much as we wanted to. It really pays to get involved with as much as possible.

Probably why I struggle so much with my french. I can just about get by and I'm having 2 lessons a week now, but as I don't work and the area is very quiet we've not interacted as much as we wanted to. It really pays to get involved with as much as possible.

It does indeed

If you've got friends there force yourselves to speak in French even if they want to practice their English

Watch TV in French, watch the evening news etc, that gives you short subjects with lots of context, I learned a lot that way in the beginning

It does indeed

If you've got friends there force yourselves to speak in French even if they want to practice their English

Watch TV in French, watch the evening news etc, that gives you short subjects with lots of context, I learned a lot that way in the beginning

Even our french friends want to speak english with us!

When we first arrived I started coaching at the local football club and my french improved so quickly. Unfortuantely I had to stop through ill health and so consequently only parlering with friends doesn't help matters.

Back
Top Bottom